Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Great News for the Gammons


DazBob
 Share

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Throwing bananas happened rarely amongst large crowds (never seen it happen in 1000s of matches) and monkey noises was mainly younger immature fans being knobs, and those doing it in my opinion weren’t racist just being knobs, and It wasn’t as widespread as you seem to think, yes there were some racists back then same as today but it’s massively overplayed, the 2 tv comedy programmes dealing with the issue  made it clear that the butt of the jokes were the thick white racists. It’s ok if you want to keep being outraged crack on, racism at football then and now massively overplayed. 

Do you think the Horwich CC were correct in cancelling the registration of a player called an opponent a "fucking monkey"?

The opposing player was black BTW.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Nobody threw bananas at Rush, Dalglish etc

JSL.

But pies were thrown at fat players, abuse was dished out at cockneys, Yorkshire teams, even Bobby moore.. with the famous hand bag song, racism cannot be tolerated and loads have been done on that front and folk who dish out racist comments are rightly dealt with (see Horwich cricket club)

My view is that it’s massively overplayed and the anti racism campaign ran by the FA is sufficient in highlighting the issue, some folk seem to want to put it front middle and centre of everything and that in my eyes is counter productive. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never knew bananas chucked by Bolton fans. That's depressing.

I do remember some dickheads (one  Buster Bloodvessel lookalike)coming onto Burnden Paddock chanting 'the white man's front is the National Front'. Given short shrift IIRC and fucked off sharpish. That must have been early 80's?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

On the subject of bananas I’m finding in the supermarkets they go soft and mushy very quickly 

You need to store them at 13.4c, any colder and they’ll stop ripening, any warmer and they’ll ripen quickly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

On the subject of bananas I’m finding in the supermarkets they go soft and mushy very quickly 

Make a loaf of banana bread pal. It will make for a much harder impact when you chuck it at a black player.

Don't worry @Mounts Kippersays it ain't racist, you can just show the  coppers his post to prevent a ban.

Edited by London Wanderer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, DazBob said:

I'm confused.  Horwich CC were correct, but had he thrown a banana at the player it would've been ok?

Fans back then had a go at everyone, black players, fat players, cockneys, Welsh, Irish, Bobby moore hand bag chant some were funny, some were less PC s and some definitely overstretched the mark( thankfully the excesses have been curbed, except at a horwich cc)  but all we’re targeted basically to put good players off their game, not for one minute do I think the majority of fans singing these songs and chants were racist or anti the fat guy, cockneys etc.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Steejay said:

You need to store them at 13.4c, any colder and they’ll stop ripening, any warmer and they’ll ripen quickly.

Excellent, I’m just not getting the temperature right then

 

1 minute ago, London Wanderer said:

Make a loaf of banana bread pal. It will make for a much harder impact when you chuck it at a black player.

Don't worry @Mounts Kippersays it ain't racist, you can just show the  coppers his post to prevent a ban.

Have you tried this yourself? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Max Cherry said:

I never knew bananas chucked by Bolton fans. That's depressing.

I do remember some dickheads (one  Buster Bloodvessel lookalike)coming onto Burnden Paddock chanting 'the white man's front is the National Front'. Given short shrift IIRC and fucked off sharpish. That must have been early 80's?

Never seen it in nearly 50 years, so how many fans attended and bananas thrown… perhaps millions of fans and 1 banana.. kind of backs up my earlier comment that it’s overplayed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Never seen it in nearly 50 years, so how many fans attended and bananas thrown… perhaps millions of fans and 1 banana.. kind of backs up my earlier comment that it’s overplayed. 

Have you tried reading the experiences of Black players from the 70s & 80s? It was week in week out pal. This was at a time when black children were being sent to terrible special needs schools & denied a decent education because their English wasn't yet upto scratch. National Front hate crimes were widespread in the 70s & 80s. Nobody ever said the majority of people were racist but there was clearly widespread racism & institutional racism. 

If it's happening to players weekly then I can't see how it is being overplayed? Then again if you think chucking bananas isn't racist, and comparable to calling someone a 'northern bastard', then I can see why you would think that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Zico said:

I thought you were making a valid point

then just chucked in my one experience of banana throwing

i nearly hit him as well

 

Apologies, I was trying to say that if it wasn’t a racist thing, why did no white player have bananas chucked at them to ‘put them off’.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Have you tried reading the experiences of Black players from the 70s & 80s? It was week in week out pal. This was at a time when black children were being sent to terrible special needs schools & denied a decent education because their English wasn't yet upto scratch. National Front hate crimes were widespread in the 70s & 80s. Nobody ever said the majority of people were racist but there was clearly widespread racism & institutional racism. 

If it's happening to players weekly then I can't see how it is being overplayed? Then again if you think chucking bananas isn't racist, and comparable to calling someone a 'northern bastard', then I can see why you would think that.

Why would I read it, it’s shoved in my face virtually every day and I lived through that period , the NF had some traction with a tiny minority of fruit loops, But the vast majority of fans were not racist, things have improved in the intervening years, my opinion is FA anti racism is doing a good enough job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Why would I read it, it’s shoved in my face virtually every day and I lived through that period , the NF had some traction with a tiny minority of fruit loops, But the vast majority of fans were not racist, things have improved in the intervening years, my opinion is FA anti racism is doing a good enough job.

dumb-dumber.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

National Front hate crimes were widespread in the 70s & 80s. Nobody ever said the majority of people were racist but there was clearly widespread racism & institutional racism. 

Not sure why the comparison with the 70’s 80’s or any era since matters. There are still problems today, hence the whole ‘taking the knee’ exercise.

If it wasn’t for modern stadia and surveillance, I’m sure there are still people who would chuck bananas. In fact a quick search on Google shows it’s happened more recently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Gonzo summed up the whole feeling perfectly well and the point doesn’t really need taking much further. As older fans, and there are some much older than me, we are, in some ways - stuck in our ways. Yes we can change, but its much harder now for our mindset and our beliefs to be altered. Yes, we probably all made certain noises and sang certain songs during the 80s at Burnden. We also sang about plane crashes and people rotting in graves. It was naivety at its finest. Young lads jumping on a bandwagon and “joining in”; wanting an association with their peers on the terraces.

But, if this taking of the knee, rightly or wrongly, has made the younger fan of today say “dad/mum dad(s) – why is this happening?’ And their parent is able to answer as Gonzo did to his lad. Then it’s done its job. The change will affect future generations more so than the current ones, and that has to be a positive thing.

However, there are thing that do cross lines and some of our heritage is being eroded away and for that matter, I find some things to be quite sad.

Finally the John Barnes banana photo was so iconic, it was actually a godsend that it occurred - so powerful. Imagine if it had hit Rush or Dalglish (as possibly intended?….not!), we’d have never seen the light of day of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.