Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Great News for the Gammons

DazBob

53 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Why would I read it, it’s shoved in my face virtually every day and I lived through that period , the NF had some traction with a tiny minority of fruit loops, But the vast majority of fans were not racist, things have improved in the intervening years, my opinion is FA anti racism is doing a good enough job.

Because if you can't see how throwing a banana at a black is racist player then it might help to read their side of things. 

Living through that period is irrelevant if the blatant racism you saw/ heard about wasn't considered racism in your head.  

Poor you anyway. Must be hard getting these things shoved in your face everyday. What do you think would help you get through the day? Sometimes I find singing Rule Britannia & waving my flag helps drown out all the virtue signallers at the bottom of my garden.

54 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Not sure why the comparison with the 70’s 80’s or any era since matters. There are still problems today, hence the whole ‘taking the knee’ exercise.

If it wasn’t for modern stadia and surveillance, I’m sure there are still people who would chuck bananas. In fact a quick search on Google shows it’s happened more recently.

True 

If you do not see chucking bananas as racist I can see why you might think there was not much racism.

In the 70s in local elections the NF on a number of occasions got over 10% of the vote, I think they peaked at 20% ! 1 in 5 voting for a party that was racist. Never did as well in General Elections where single issue parties always fall, but the fact so many people voted for them back in the day pretty much proves how prevalent such thinking was. 

29 minutes ago, Traf said:

See, I'm a fat lad and if someone called me fat and it upset me, I could try to lose some weight.

Not sure there's much black players can do to stop being black. Targeting them because of their colour is racist, end of discussion.

It's not off-putting, it's not bantz, it's out and out racism.
The banana is as bad as the monkey chants, as the two are intrinsically related.
Anyone not seeing this as racist has problems.

Michael Jackson had a good go. 🤣

9 minutes ago, Ani said:

If you do not see chucking bananas as racist I can see why you might think there was not much racism.

In the 70s in local elections the NF on a number of occasions got over 10% of the vote, I think they peaked at 20% ! 1 in 5 voting for a party that was racist. Never did as well in General Elections where single issue parties always fall, but the fact so many people voted for them back in the day pretty much proves how prevalent such thinking was. 

think you need to check the 20% figures, highest vote ever was 1979 at 0.6% of the vote. Again backs up my comment that it’s a tiny problem, not a good problem but not one to merit the constant noise from some. 

NF highest membership was 17500. 

Many folk weren’t racists just anti immigration and most left when finding that it had racist ideology. 

The NF faced a high membership turnover.[324] In 1977, Walker described its membership as being "like a bath with both taps running and the plughole empty. Members pour in and pour out."[325] Fielding echoed this, stating that the NF's "stable membership" was lower than the number of people who have "passed through" it;[271] Taylor suggested that during the 1970s, "at least 12,000" people joined and then left.[326] Many of those attracted to the party because of its anti-immigrationism may have departed on discovering its fascist ideology.[32

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Many folk weren’t racists just anti immigration and most left when finding that it had racist ideology. 

The NF faced a high membership turnover.[324] In 1977, Walker described its membership as being "like a bath with both taps running and the plughole empty. Members pour in and pour out."[325] Fielding echoed this, stating that the NF's "stable membership" was lower than the number of people who have "passed through" it;[271] Taylor suggested that during the 1970s, "at least 12,000" people joined and then left.[326] Many of those attracted to the party because of its anti-immigrationism may have departed on discovering its fascist ideology.[32

Jesus wept. Have you suffered a head injury recently?

Edited by Cheese

9 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

think you need to check the 20% figures, highest vote ever was 1979 at 0.6% of the vote. Again backs up my comment that it’s a tiny problem, not a good problem but not one to merit the constant noise from some. 

Check local elections, 21% in Sandwell was highest. The 0.6% was of total votes not contested seats. It was over 1% in contested seats and upto 2% in their best result.

Given you can be racist and vote for other parties it does not give the full picture.

The 21% is from the same wiki page you quoted as is the breakdown of the GE vote. 

Edited by Ani

10 minutes ago, Cheese said:

And some "Football Lads Alliance"...

that was pitiful, I presume they don't exist anymore, as I've never heard anything of them in years. As far as I'm aware, there was only the one person who posted on here who admitted to going on one of their marches.

1 minute ago, Sweep said:

that was pitiful, I presume they don't exist anymore, as I've never heard anything of them in years. As far as I'm aware, there was only the one person who posted on here who admitted to going on one of their marches.

Same as the EDL crap 

Just idiot football fans with fake stone Island on posing for pictures 

34 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Wasn't there a gimp on here who used to go on far right marches around Europe? 🤣

Edited by deane koontz

1 hour ago, Ani said:

Check local elections, 21% in Sandwell was highest. The 0.6% was of total votes not contested seats. It was over 1% in contested seats and upto 2% in their best result.

Given you can be racist and vote for other parties it does not give the full picture.

The 21% is from the same wiki page you quoted as is the breakdown of the GE vote. 

The overall vote for NF was 0.6% of those who voted, that’s at the peak. Nothing like the 1 in 5 you quoted…. Can’t be quoting that without qualifying that it was in just 1 seat and probably skewed vote by riots in the area or probably some other local issue. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

26 minutes ago, deane koontz said:

Wasn't there a gimp on here who used to go on far right marches around Europe? 🤣

Boomity boom!

There was two ladies who worked at Cambridge university that went so that proved FLA were a balanced, thought through and reasonable group.

Mounts has got to be on a wind up here. Maybe acting like Howard Hughes last weekend has gone to his head and he's decided any loonball thought should be sprung from his bonce.

18 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

The overall vote for NF was 0.6% of those who voted, that’s at the peak. Nothing like the 1 in 5 you quoted…. Can’t be quoting that without qualifying that it was in just 1 seat and probably skewed vote by riots in the area or probably some other local issue. 

I said they got over 10% in a number of local elections and peaked at 20% . That is a straight forward fact. 

Are you implying we had riots in the 70s that were race related and so impacted the vote ? In that and the other areas, they are listed in the article you quoted 

The NF did not stand in every seat in the GE and their overall vote share were they did was approx 1% (again from the article you quoted) and at best it was 2% in a single seat, but let's take 0.6% you quoted from a population of 45m that would be over 250k actively voting for a racist party.  
I have no idea what point you think you are making , because if you you think racism is just as rife now as it was in the 70s you arguing we need to do more about it now ! 

35 minutes ago, Ani said:

I said they got over 10% in a number of local elections and peaked at 20% . That is a straight forward fact. 

Are you implying we had riots in the 70s that were race related and so impacted the vote ? In that and the other areas, they are listed in the article you quoted 

The NF did not stand in every seat in the GE and their overall vote share were they did was approx 1% (again from the article you quoted) and at best it was 2% in a single seat, but let's take 0.6% you quoted from a population of 45m that would be over 250k actively voting for a racist party.  
I have no idea what point you think you are making , because if you you think racism is just as rife now as it was in the 70s you arguing we need to do more about it now ! 

Mounts has got to be on a wind up here. Throwing bananas is clearly taunting black people about their skin colour and is a racist act. I’ve never seen anyone defend that before apart from erm, racists!

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Sweep said:

They've changed their name to the "Democratic Football Lads Alliance" 😄

8 hours ago, gonzo said:

Thats the idea innit? Start the conversation.

Like when you're kid asks you why players are taking the knee?

And you explain that its to show support to all people facing discrimination and we are all just human beings and no matter what colour or creed you are you should treat everyone the same?

Served its purpose even this just happened once.

We all know that no one is born a racist, it usually starts at home. The racist parent will say they take the knee because of some black rapist being killed in America /snowflakes, etc and the more diverse parent will highlight the problem with racism. 

Yes it’s being spoke about more but the reason I believe that’s happening is because it’s happening more, not just in football but in society. 

8 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

I fondly remember the “zigga zigga zigga…” song being a term of endearment in my MRN youth days.. 

Erm, zigga zagga zigga iirc.

Of course, it never happened though, and even if it did it wasn't racist.