Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Great News for the Gammons

DazBob

1 minute ago, royal white said:

We all know that no one is born a racist, it usually starts at home. The racist parent will say they take the knee because of some black rapist being killed in America /snowflakes, etc and the more diverse parent will highlight the problem with racism. 

Yes it’s being spoke about more but the reason I believe that’s happening is because it’s happening more, not just in football but in society. 

You think, as a society, we are more racist now than we were a few years ago?

Interesting. I've not heard that.

I'd be curious to know how they've come to that conclusion.  If it's down reported cases of racism then that could surely be that we are less tolerant of it now, therefore are more likely to report it, rather than just accept it.

3 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Interesting. I've not heard that.

I'd be curious to know how they've come to that conclusion.  If it's down reported cases of racism then that could surely be that we are less tolerant of it now, therefore are more likely to report it, rather than just accept it.

I’m guessing racial slurs on social media would have a big impact on numbers. 

8 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

No there isn't & no they don't.  But it's vastly more newsworthy now due to it being unacceptable in a way it wasn't decades ago.

🤷🏻‍♂️

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/20/racism-on-the-rise-since-brexit-vote-nationwide-study-reveals

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48692863.amp

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/hate-crime-england-and-wales-2020-to-2021/hate-crime-england-and-wales-2020-to-2021

Edited by royal white

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, royal white said:

Most news outlets seems to think so over the last few years (they’re predictably all blame Brexit) 

Do you have any examples?

Edit: Just saw your follow up post. What is it you disagree with in those 2 articles you've posted?

Edited by Cheese

2 hours ago, Ani said:

I said they got over 10% in a number of local elections and peaked at 20% . That is a straight forward fact. 

Are you implying we had riots in the 70s that were race related and so impacted the vote ? In that and the other areas, they are listed in the article you quoted 

The NF did not stand in every seat in the GE and their overall vote share were they did was approx 1% (again from the article you quoted) and at best it was 2% in a single seat, but let's take 0.6% you quoted from a population of 45m that would be over 250k actively voting for a racist party.  
I have no idea what point you think you are making , because if you you think racism is just as rife now as it was in the 70s you arguing we need to do more about it now ! 

It wouldn’t be anywhere 250k not all the eligible population vote and not all population are eligible to vote, and this was 50 years ago and the number of NF has shrunk even lower today,  the highest ever NF membership was 17500, and now it’s substantially lower, it’s was a tiny problem then and even smaller now, hence my assertion it’s blown out of all proportion. I 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

9 minutes ago, royal white said:

I’m guessing racial slurs on social media would have a big impact on numbers. 

No doubt.  But also more people are using social media than ever before, which gives the cretins more platforms to air their views, rather than just sitting at home and shouting to themselves.

On the flip side to more being reported, we’ve all seen it, this forum being a perfect example. You get some people that’s as soon as they disagree with someone in this type of conversation they scream racist, again it’s seen on all social media platforms talk shows etc. it’s a shame as no doubt some real reports of racism may get missed due to these clowns. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, royal white said:

On the flip side to more being reported, we’ve all seen it, this forum being a perfect example. You get some people that’s as soon as they disagree with someone in this type of conversation they scream racist, again it’s seen on all social media platforms talk shows etc. it’s a shame as no doubt some real reports of racism may get missed due to these clowns. 

So you think that if someone on here (or any other social media) calls another poster 'racist', that distracts the police from investigating 'real reports of racism'?

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

So you think that if someone on here (or any other social media) calls another poster 'racist', that distracts the police from investigating 'real reports of racism'?

Speaking of the said clowns. 

Why do you cherry pick what suits you when quoting someone

39 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It wouldn’t be anywhere 250k not all the eligible population vote and not all population are eligible to vote, and this was 50 years ago and the number of NF has shrunk even lower today,  the highest ever NF membership was 17500, and now it’s substantially lower, it’s was a tiny problem then and even smaller now, hence my assertion it’s blown out of all proportion. I 

Sorry it was 191k is that enough ? You are now saying support for the NF has dropped , I agree.

Your point was that it was blown out of proportion back then. Everyone else is saying it was worse back then. Best part of 200k people voting for a racist party not an issue ? 

Strange that some people signed up the NF based on worries about immigration, but when they actually found out how extreme they were left. You have quoted this above. Good to know that someone 50 years could align to a political movement, realise they made a mistake and could move on. Whereas you still think taking the knee is supporting the political wing of BLM. 

54 minutes ago, royal white said:

I agree that people (not here as much) perceive racism when there is no real intent there.

Out of interest do you think there was more racism in the 70s ? I amazed Mounts is playing it down. You might be too young though ! 

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

Yes I do, can't stand any of them, I don't see the point of watching or reading that kind of stuff

Bit strange to air an opinion on it then if you live in a self-imposed bubble.

21 minutes ago, Ani said:

Sorry it was 191k is that enough ? You are now saying support for the NF has dropped , I agree.

Your point was that it was blown out of proportion back then. Everyone else is saying it was worse back then. Best part of 200k people voting for a racist party not an issue

Strange that some people signed up the NF based on worries about immigration, but when they actually found out how extreme they were left. You have quoted this above. Good to know that someone 50 years could align to a political movement, realise they made a mistake and could move on. Whereas you still think taking the knee is supporting the political wing of BLM. 

The earlier wiki report said that many of these voters were transient and not actually racist voter many were anti immigration who had nowhere else to register their anti immigration feelings, so I take the figures with a pinch of salt, the more important figure was  actual NF members which at the height in 79 of 17,500,  who I expect were or are racist, very low numbers even then and we can agree to disagree, my view it was blown out of proportion back then and even more so now given the fall in numbers since the peak. Whichever way you look at it less racism is good.  

55 minutes ago, Ani said:

I agree that people (not here as much) perceive racism when there is no real intent there.

Out of interest do you think there was more racism in the 70s ? I amazed Mounts is playing it down. You might be too young though ! 

I’m way to young 😂

There was definitely more “casual” racism when I was at school. I doubt you’d get away giving an Asian lad and a black lad nicknames of coco and chimpy now.