Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Dapo - Charles conundrum

gonzo

1 minute ago, barrycowdrill said:

Would also say you’d need to be starting JDB. All of them up top too 🤔 

Like you said elsewhere, ideally you coud drop Dapo deeper but we have 6 million midfielders. 

Looks like Bod and one of dapo or charles is our best pairing...

It's a very strong area of our squad. We can rotate to keep players fresh as well as selecting the right combinations based on the particular opposition we're facing. 

The other real conundrum is how we fit Sadlier's attacking threat into our team. I think Evatt is wrestling with that one. Hopefully he gets a really good run-out against Salford.

There probably isn't a better centre forward at aggressively pressing the opposition defenders in this league than Charles and he is ideal when playing against teams that like to play across the backline. Dapo, for all his ability, can't offer that to the same standard. 

It might be that we go "horses for courses" like we do with other areas of the pitch.

Re. Sadlier: I don't think he fits this formation unless played as a No. 10 and I don't think Evatt would start him in that position unless the opposition is really quite weak.

I suppose we could try altering the formation to try and better accommodate our attacking players but we surely won't do that while results are as good as they are.

8 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

With a 4-4-2 you can play Dapo left and Charles Baka/Bod up top. 

I agree bUt we play 5-3-2

Based on first 2 games kid at RWB has been as good as anyone very hard to change it. 

1 hour ago, Ani said:

I agree bUt we play 5-3-2

Based on first 2 games kid at RWB has been as good as anyone very hard to change it. 

Could easily slot Bradley In on the right wing in a 4-4-2, but I’d think Evatt won’t use that system often.  There’s Also a 4-3-1-2 which he could fit Charles and Dapo into. Loads of options.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Could easily slot Bradley In on the right wing in a 4-4-2, but I’d think Evatt won’t use that system often.  There’s Also a 4-3-1-2 which he could fit Charles and Dapo into. Loads of options.

We're never playing 4-4-2 

4-2-3-1 would work for Dapo, but that's Bradley and John out, whilst IE only played that formation when he didn't have the wing backs for his favoured 3-5-2

10 minutes ago, Zico said:

4-2-3-1 would work for Dapo, but that's Bradley and John out, whilst IE only played that formation when he didn't have the wing backs for his favoured 3-5-2

Aye, we play 3-5-2 and it’s working well. 

12 hours ago, L/H White said:

Honestly can't remember when we had so much depth to the a squad 

It’s great, and I like how we’re just quietly going about things.

I look at so many clubs and I see no strategy. Maybe just because I’m an outsider to those clubs but I do think Sharon and Evatt have got a bit of a masterplan going on here.

3 hours ago, Zico said:

I wouldn’t be switching formation either, but there might be occasions when players are out injured where we do.

2 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

If you look at Saturday Dapo had a good game but was always going to be provider rather than scorer because they’d obviously been schooled to push him on to his left foot as much as possible. Having different threats over a full season can only be good for us.

I'd take Dapo being provider rather than scorer all day long if he's as effective as Saturday. 

7 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Dion will be missed at PV, he must be a nightmare to defend against, when he’s on his game he’s very quick over that first 20 yards and never stops harrassing defenders,

Love DC me.

Hes everything you want to see with a striker. Defenders never get a seconds peace.

Compare that to Gary Madine who could to be fair could mark their center half out of the game most weeks :)

• Site Supporter

This isn’t a Dapo/Charles conundrum.

It’s a striker conundrum! 

Evatt started with Charles/Dapo at Ipswich as he clearly sees this as a combo which will create chances and score goals, so I don’t see why he can only ever pick one as a striker, he’s done it once, I’m sure he’ll do it again.

Furthermore, as he’s done in the past, he could have Charles and Dapo in the same team with Dapo as a number 10 behind the 2 strikers, or Dapo out wide, so again more realistic possibilities, which doesn’t restrict Evatt from picking one of them and not both.

The real conundrum is keeping 4 excellent strikers happy when all 4 of them can justifiably warrant a place in the starting 11!

I can’t ever remember a time in my 40 years of watching when we have 4 good strikers, all of whom I’d be happy to see start. It really is a fantastic problem to have….. as I said earlier, as long as they all remain happy and hungry.