Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Plymouth (A)

burnden

15 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

I’d be very happy with a point

So would I.

Think I've told story about taxis before.  Bloke cornered market setting up a driving school in Poland and brought over 100odd drivers. Come Brexit 100 Prius were dumped at Brizzle Airport. Most of the local drivers didn't want to go back to it having got Amazon style steady income.

It has improved from last year with few more about. There is a black cab rank right outside the Premier Central which should be alright during the day / evening. 

Put Tower Cabs App on your phone if can deal in 4 seaters. 

Plymouth Taxis 01752 606060 deal in black Cabs and have a few 8 seaters but in hour before or after the game you'll need to get booked early.

• The topic was pinned
On 19/08/2022 at 14:37, athywhite1958 said:

Thanks for this, we are staying in Bristol on Friday night and coming to Plymouth on Saturday morning, saves my mate doing the long drive in one go, there will be a few of us staying over so tips for good food and places to go will be appreciated

I’m going down Friday night and staying at Travelodge in Bristol to break up the journey. Will find a Parkrun in Bristol and doing that Saturday Morning before heading down to Plymouth.

Wish I was going. Like Plymouth a lot - lots of family connections due to Navy stuff. 

The city centre has got a bit jaded like most have these days but the Hoe and the Barbican are still great. 

There's a boozer on The Hoe called The Dolphin whose decor has barely been touched since the 1960s. A very, very old-fashioned boozer. Usually serves Dartmoor Jail Ale and Legend. It also serves Bass directly out the wood. 

Can also recommend Ivor Dewdney's pasties on Cornwall Street. Been serving pasties for decades and never a let-down. 

On 21/08/2022 at 18:06, kevsta69 said:

I’m going down Friday night and staying at Travelodge in Bristol to break up the journey. Will find a Parkrun in Bristol and doing that Saturday Morning before heading down to Plymouth.

We're staying at the Cross Hands Hotel, Old Sodbury on Friday night, we got single rooms for £41

8 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Wish I was going. Like Plymouth a lot - lots of family connections due to Navy stuff. 

The city centre has got a bit jaded like most have these days but the Hoe and the Barbican are still great. 

There's a boozer on The Hoe called The Dolphin whose decor has barely been touched since the 1960s. A very, very old-fashioned boozer. Usually serves Dartmoor Jail Ale and Legend. It also serves Bass directly out the wood. 

Can also recommend Ivor Dewdney's pasties on Cornwall Street. Been serving pasties for decades and never a let-down. 

Dolphin is on the Barbican but definitely worth a visit for a Jail Ale or two. On beer Salcombe and Otter other local small breweries worth a try. If only have St Ozzle look for Proper Job over Tribute 

Dewdney pasty will split opinion. Crap quality filling bur good for some strange reason.  They have vans on approaches to ground but sell out early.

27 minutes ago, green genie said:

Dolphin is on the Barbican but definitely worth a visit for a Jail Ale or two. On beer Salcombe and Otter other local small breweries worth a try. If only have St Ozzle look for Proper Job over Tribute 

Dewdney pasty will split opinion. Crap quality filling bur good for some strange reason.  They have vans on approaches to ground but sell out early.

Yeah just around the corner from The Hoe, sorry. 

Split opinions on Ivor's? Never changed over decades - I'm a fan. Good job Ron Dewdney's aren't around to cause fractious oggy debates any more. I think they were just up in Devonport though.

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

That's about the same as last season isn't it, but none of the bods I went with then are going this time, so it won't be the same 700 😊.

Mate of mine going with his lad but having a few days in Newquay first