Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Plymouth (A)

burnden

We’re never as good as folk make out we are when we’ve won a few but never as bad as folk make out we are when we lose a couple

IMO we’re a bit laboured moving through phases. I don’t mean we should hoof it but there’s a lot of passing around at the back, not just cos we want to work a gap but cos options aren’t on and then when we run out of ideas or are under pressure we resort to a pointless floaty diag. That works if we’ve dragged them out but not if it’s the only option. We let them regroup a bit too often too. This for me is as much why the strikers don’t get the lions share and midfielders score. Not just a personnel problem up top.

Williams should start every week unless we get a better version of him

We create less when Morley isn’t in the 2 in front of the holding man. Williams plus Morley and Lee/Dempsey just in front doing the dogs work

Dapo is a conundrum for me

He is genuine quality and gets them shitting it

But he often slows down our play way too much and makes the wrong decision

We get the best out of him in from the left IMO

I’d play Dion right of a 3 and JDB centre as it stands when Dadi is fit

That’s if we stick with this formation AND Dapo stays

I think us not knowing our best attacking line up is an issue

be reet

Edited by jules_darby

18 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

We’re never as good as folk make out we are when we’ve won a few but never as bad as folk make out we are when we lose a couple

IMO we’re a bit laboured moving through phases. I don’t mean we should hoof it but there’s a lot of passing around at the back, not just cos we want to work a gap but cos options aren’t on and then when we run out of ideas or are under pressure we resort to a pointless floaty diag. That works if we’ve dragged them out but not if it’s the only option. We let them regroup a bit too often too. This for me is as much why the strikers don’t get the lions share and midfielders score. Not just a personnel problem up top.

Williams should start every week unless we get a better version of him

We create less when Morley isn’t in the 2 in front of the holding man. Williams plus Morley and Lee/Dempsey just in front doing the dogs work

Dapo is a conundrum for me

He is genuine quality and gets them shitting it

But he often slows down our play way too much and makes the wrong decision

We get the best out of him in from the left IMO

I’d play Dion right of a 3 and JDB centre as it stands when Dadi is fit

That’s if we stick with this formation AND Dapo stays

I think us not knowing our best attacking line up is an issue

be reet

I'd give that front 3 a go too but as you say depends on Bods fitness. You're right about Dapo slowing us down at times too. It was very evident against Villa when I thought he tried too hard to make something happen for himself rather than keep it simple.

1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

Yet again another reality check but can’t be arsed on the game otherwise it sends you under

plymouth is a banging night out this time had the chance to explore it, loads of wanderers at the Barbican

on to Cheltenham🍺

Cider bombs?

We have a decent team now, however without a couple of quality additions before the summer window closes on Thurs (the quality of player that IE said he'd been offered after the villa game), this team isn't getting top 6 IMO, the position we are in now (10th) is about right for this team / squad.

We need a pacy striker who is more clinical than what we currently have & I still think that we need a big, powerful box to box midfielder - but these would cost money and I doubt that FV have the finance. They also need to play with a little more intensity & move the ball quicker.

10 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

What do you think he’s good at? 

I think that’s a really silly question amounts and not like you generally. I accept he’s getting older and probably isn’t the player he was but for me he’s still the best we’ve got. Look at that step back and pass for Dion against Villa, and their PL defenders. He can still do it but not for 90 minutes and maybe it’s time to be looking elsewhere if we seriously are hoping for promotion. As for the rest, I haven’t actually seen anything from anyone else that convinces me they’re better than him other than Morley, albeit a different kind of player, who is still young and learning.

Unfortunately even in League 1 money talks, the majority of the teams above us will have spent more than us, and unless we spend & invest money on a few better / quality players IMO we will be in league 1 for a good few years, although we will play decent football.

58 minutes ago, Black Sheep said:

We have a decent team now, however without a couple of quality additions before the summer window closes on Thurs (the quality of player that IE said he'd been offered after the villa game), this team isn't getting top 6 IMO, the position we are in now (10th) is about right for this team / squad.

We need a pacy striker who is more clinical than what we currently have & I still think that we need a big, powerful box to box midfielder - but these would cost money and I doubt that FV have the finance. They also need to play with a little more intensity & move the ball quicker.

This group of players was good enough to show promotion form for the back half of last season, what's to stop them showing that form again? I don't think we're a million miles off and this squad can perform better than they are right now 

Too soon to write off our chances of a play-off spot, but it's irrelevant who we've played/not played so far.
You make basic mistakes at both ends and you get punished.

Their first goal yesterday was a classic example. Big hoof down field, Johnston (who isn't the tallest of CBs) tries to head it at its highest point and expectedly ends up under it, balls goes towards Rico, who's first instinct of late seems to be to play the man rather than the ball. If he pays the ball immediately back to Trafford, danger is averted.

Double fuck-up.

At the other end, Baka has to put that chance away, when you play for a team that often creates little away from home.
Same at Vale, he has to do better. Vale was a good battling point under the circumstances, but we cold have nicked it and it's "nicked" points that are often the difference between promotion and play-offs or play-offs and just missed out.

1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

I think that’s a really silly question amounts and not like you generally. I accept he’s getting older and probably isn’t the player he was but for me he’s still the best we’ve got. Look at that step back and pass for Dion against Villa, and their PL defenders. He can still do it but not for 90 minutes and maybe it’s time to be looking elsewhere if we seriously are hoping for promotion. As for the rest, I haven’t actually seen anything from anyone else that convinces me they’re better than him other than Morley, albeit a different kind of player, who is still young and learning.

He’s obviously been a technically excellent player but my view is he’s on the decline and we shouldn’t be playing him against the better teams in our league especially away from home, it’ll be interesting to see how his season goes from here, my guess is that Evatt will trust him less in the big games from here on in. Given he’s probably on a decent wage I’d not be sorry to see him moved on and the wage used for a tough tacking CDM to help shore up our midfield. 

32 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

He’s obviously been a technically excellent player but my view is he’s on the decline and we shouldn’t be playing him against the better teams in our league especially away from home, it’ll be interesting to see how his season goes from here, my guess is that Evatt will trust him less in the big games from here on in. Given he’s probably on a decent wage I’d not be sorry to see him moved on and the wage used for a tough tacking CDM to help shore up our midfield. 

Can’t argue with that Mounts. 😉

• Moderators
2 hours ago, desperado said:

Really disappointed with yesterdays result. The performance less so, but still not good enough as Evatt said in both boxes.

As some have alluded to the reaction reaches both extremes after wins/defeats, the reality is somewhere in the Middle.

Santos isn’t currently the best centre half outside the prem, nor has he turned into someone who needs dropping/getting rid of. He’s made 2 costly mistakes in 9/10 games. Short memories if people don’t think he can recover and come back to have a good season.

Without writing a thesis there’s similar disparity with views/opinions on Lee, Evatt, Kachunga, Sadlier, Transfers.

If at the beginning of the season you thought we we were going to finish mid-table then you should be pleased with the current form 

If you had us in the play-offs, after a difficult start to the season and with less fancied teams ahead, then the next month should have us there/thereabouts. 

If, like me, you thought the depth and quality of the current squad, together with a good end to last season/good pre-season, had us challenging for the top 2, then yes we’ll be disappointed and concerned.

But if you were that positive to have us challenging for automatics, then surely you can be positive/realistic enough to see that things could change; players form will improve, injured players will give us a boost, Evatt will soon find our best 11/formation to suit, possible transfer additions will add quality and concerns in both boxes will be addressed on the training pitch.

So what I’m trying to say is cheer up, it’ll be reet 😄

Yeah pretty much where I'm at 

Was and am convinced we can challenge for top 6 if not top 2 

This last week left me a bit deflated 

Would like to see a more settled line up once everyone is fit and our bench used to overwhelm teams late on 

The squad rotation will frustrate if results aren't consistent 

We looked great v Wycombe, good points at vale and Ipswich all things considered and got one over on Morecambe at home 

Mistakes made last week but cut those out and things aren't so bad 

What we need this week is a good run out in the PJ cup for isgrove, Sheehan and Sadlier and a win v Charlton and all will be good again

On Lee, I still love watching him play and he was great against Villa, but he's never had the passing range of a Morley, he plays a different game.  I don't see him as being on the decline to where he was 2 years ago, he looked as good as ever v Villa and there were other examples in home games this year (Ipswich etc).  Where I don't rate him, is in away game generally.  Going back to that Newport game when he missed about 4 sitters, for some unknown reason he doesn't seem to be the same player away, accepting I don't see many aways but that's the impression I get, when did he last score or assist away?  Our stadium and pitch and the fact that we have a lot of possession suits him.  I was and still am surprised he was picked above MJ yesterday but would have no problem if he starts Saturday, but I wouldn't start him at Cheltenham.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

On Lee, I still love watching him play and he was great against Villa, but he's never had the passing range of a Morley, he plays a different game.  I don't see him as being on the decline to where he was 2 years ago, he looked as good as ever v Villa and there were other examples in home games this year (Ipswich etc).  Where I don't rate him, is in away game generally.  Going back to that Newport game when he missed about 4 sitters, for some unknown reason he doesn't seem to be the same player away, accepting I don't see many aways but that's the impression I get, when did he last score or assist away?  Our stadium and pitch and the fact that we have a lot of possession suits him.  I was and still am surprised he was picked above MJ yesterday but would have no problem if he starts Saturday, but I wouldn't start him at Cheltenham.

5 goals last season and plenty assists 

He's still got lots to offer 

But I think he's a good example of why IE is going down the squad rotation route as opposed to "impact sub" route at the moment 

The biggest challenge this season is going to be consistency