Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton V Aston Villa League Cup

gonzo

12 hours ago, Steejay said:

Aye, I’d been a ST holder for 20+ years and didn’t get one. Fortunately I had ‘connections’ who managed to get me tickets for me and the lad.

Can’t imagine how pissed off I would have been if I didn’t get there.

Me to, had a season ticket since 1971, never missed, and didnt get a ticket. I did manage to " obtain" one though!

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, Take Hunt Off said:

That Villa home game deserved a bigger crowd than turned up.There was an attitude prevailing at the time that if you had committed to a season ticket your loyalty couldn’t be questioned , I had a good few mates at the time who blanked that game & I didn’t understand it then & don’t now. The ticket price was £22 , but relative to the prize ?

I know for a fact that the club hierarchy were unhappy with the turn out & in part explains their cavalier  attitude with the final tickets ,as actually only around 11k -12k home supporters turned up to one of our biggest games at the Reebok .

Gartside went on TV justifying that decision. If it was because of the semi turn out, then the hierarchy were no better.

As disappointing as it was, you don't condemn the supporters, particularly en masse, for not being there.

Money is always a potential issue, and who knows a lot may have been saving for the final.

15 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Gartside went on TV justifying that decision. If it was because of the semi turn out, then the hierarchy were no better.

As disappointing as it was, you don't condemn the supporters, particularly en masse, for not being there.

Money is always a potential issue, and who knows a lot may have been saving for the final.

That TV appearance pissed me right off. He just came across as though he didn't give a shit.

I emailed the club and to be fair to club the then commercial director (Gareth summat?) rang me at work and we had a chat about it.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I don't think we'd have sold out the final had it been 1 ticket per ST

Villa: The club have received an allocation of 5,246 tickets for the League Cup clash. 

Tickets £10 adults, Fiver everyone else. So it'll be same for us. 

20k+ for this one. 

Sorry just saw Tricky already posted this.

Edited by leef78

13 hours ago, Take Hunt Off said:

That Villa home game deserved a bigger crowd than turned up.There was an attitude prevailing at the time that if you had committed to a season ticket your loyalty couldn’t be questioned , I had a good few mates at the time who blanked that game & I didn’t understand it then & don’t now. The ticket price was £22 , but relative to the prize ?

I know for a fact that the club hierarchy were unhappy with the turn out & in part explains their cavalier  attitude with the final tickets ,as actually only around 11k -12k home supporters turned up to one of our biggest games at the Reebok .

Yes it did all feel a bit low key.  I agree around that time we seemed to have "season ticket/Premiership" fans, and then died in the wool real BWFC fans.  We aren't the only club to have had that issue.  

Its a good job we were on a decent run or god knows what the crowd would have  been!  Won our previous two, including that 4-3 at Blackburn.  

One factor maybe not mentioned is the that it was a 1st leg game.  They always feels a bit wierd, going into a "huge" game knowing you can't achieve anything tangible that day.  Same with the Tranmere semi, I'm sure there would have been more there for a 2nd leg that was in the balance.

And the tickets at £22 (over 18 years ago) - without checking, I'm going to guess we've never charged that much for a midweek cup game since and probably won't again in the next 10 years.  Even the Liverpool FA Cup replay was £20 max.

The club fucked up big time.  Despite applying at the very first opportunity, me and the four blokes I sat with didn't get one.  Pretty sure that because our applications went in first they were inevitably at the bottom of the pile.

Was it Lifeline members who had the same rights as ST holders?

It was scandalous really.

57 minutes ago, DazBob said:

The club fucked up big time.  Despite applying at the very first opportunity, me and the four blokes I sat with didn't get one.  Pretty sure that because our applications went in first they were inevitably at the bottom of the pile.

Was it Lifeline members who had the same rights as ST holders?

It was scandalous really.

That's why it felt a bit wrong just getting our tickets with no issues.

Club fucked up big time. They looked at villa attendance and thought interest wasn't there. Totally misunderstood that it is actually a football town and loads would come out for a Wembley final even those who hadn't been that season and were friends/relations of ST holders.Coaches going from loads of pubs/clubs etc. Sorry but Gartside could be a right know all pillock at times. 

We don't have a great record of selling out big Wembley matches and I was surprised we easily sold out for Boro.  I am guessing the fact that it had the novelty of being in Cardiff was a factor, and maybe not as expensive as London for travel and hotels etc.  The demand definitely took me by surprise at the time given the apathy for the previous rounds.

3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

We don't have a great record of selling out big Wembley matches and I was surprised we easily sold out for Boro.  I am guessing the fact that it had the novelty of being in Cardiff was a factor, and maybe not as expensive as London for travel and hotels etc.  The demand definitely took me by surprise at the time given the apathy for the previous rounds.

Didn't they make it 2 tickets per ST holder, which equated to more than our entire allocation before they even got to the end of the ST priority list?!