Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton V Aston Villa League Cup

gonzo

Can’t be any prouder than that really. Gave as good as we got for the first half and deserved to go in 1-0. Their starting XI won’t be far off what plays Saturday so not as though we’re playing their kids 

We got undone by a corner, a pen and a goalkeeper getting a bout of dementia and going for a stroll 

proud of them all, Evatt for sticking to his principles and the fanbase for turning out for what quite frankly was a nothing game 

we will come out of that with some plaudits 

Debatable first. I do believe a few keepers might have got sucked in on the corner goal. Aimson looked to be dragged over. 2nd is marginally offside and the foul on Ings is also suspect - in slow motion Ings looks to be going over with very little contact. Third goal…. Can’t say much more - shocking. 4th goal - who even cared by that point? Dixon did make a few good saves.

Glad for Charles getting a goal - will do his confidence the world of good. Let’s put tonight in a little box under the bed and just leave it there.

Edited by Smiley

Proud as fuck coming away from there tonight. Got a villa mate in their end, all around him saying how good we are.

Two shitty goals changed the whole thing. Never shouldve been a pen and a freak corner.

Lads gutted we didnt get the giant killing, but we matched them all over. 

We will be up there season season 100%.

Fight and desire is all we ask for..

COYWM

I was behind the goal for the villa corner.

Mings definitely fouls Aimson by pulling him down.

The linesman should have spotted being inline.

If we had var no way would that goal stand

Edited by CJG

We done alright tonight, we stayed in it massively for a hour. If u came from Pluto and watched the first half you'd do well to pick the prem team. Sadly, Just outgunned at the wrong moments. Pre kick off looking at the team me n my mate had raised eyebrows at Dixon starting, sadly the story unfolded as it did. Trafford would have been up for it tonight, full house, call me a dinosaur I don't ever remember Peter schmeicel getting rested....rest him in Pappa Jimmy's, not our biggest cup match in years on sky against a prem team  

Outfield players gave as good as they got. I like to use away fans as a barometer of how it's going, they weren't comfortable until it was 3-1, every credit to our lads 

6 minutes ago, ex_midlandwhite said:

The number of kids there in Bolton kits was just brilliant. This could be a big season in drawing the next generation in.

Hope so. Signed both of mine up to Junior Whites this season. First game planned to be Oxford at half term. 

Scoreline flattered them. Fluke of a first and an offside leading up to their second. Villa were no great shakes but they beat us, as it turned out, comfortably. We are about £80m-100m pounds behind teams like this. Teams with that financial advantage should be winning games like tonight's.

1 minute ago, Underpants said:

Scoreline flattered them. Fluke of a first and an offside leading up to their second. Villa were no great shakes but they beat us, as it turned out, comfortably. We are about £80m-100m pounds behind teams like this. Teams with that financial advantage should be winning games like tonight's.

There team worth 230 million ours 400k. 

Don’t wanna to single anyone out as tonight was about the collective but Kachunga. Fuck me

ball bounces right in your path with a clear shot and perfect angle at goal on your stronger foot and you cut back? 

never seen an attacking player so reluctant to have an effort at goal. And I don’t just mean tonight 

1 minute ago, barrycowdrill said:

Don’t wanna to single anyone out as tonight was about the collective but Kachunga. Fuck me

ball bounces right in your path with a clear shot and perfect angle at goal on your stronger foot and you cut back? 

never seen an attacking player so reluctant to have an effort at goal. And I don’t just mean tonight 

Spot on I really don’t see what he brings to the team his wages would be better spent on bringing somebody else in.

2 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Need to cut our losses with this guy

Shocking 

• Moderators

That was a massive LC 2nd round crowd by our standards

Anbody find a bigger one?

Maybe city or chelsea around 70 but that may have been a later round?

I think other than everton in the semi, that might be the biggest home LC crowd ive been in

Watch somebody roll loads out :)

Enjoyed that, big effort put in and we just ran out of legs in the end.

Sure the move that led to the penalty came from a foul throw as well, another game where every throw looks dodgy. Anyway they'd have had too much in the end for us. Proud of um, hope they're ready to go again Saturday.

Muggy as owt in there tonight, sweatbox!

Edited by Marc505

For teams two leagues apart you have to be proud. First half you couldn’t tell the difference. Different story second half. They were better

Really don’t want to beat Dixon up but the third goal….. man alive that was appalling. First goal, there was so much wrong in terms of fouls in the box but a half decent keeper has that cleared every day of the week for me

Since the Barry Siddall days we always seem to have had a decent keeper with Billy The Fish as backup. Can only think of Al Habsi as a proper replacement in all that time