Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton V Aston Villa League Cup

gonzo

Blimey some reasonable views on the game on here, unlike the total cunts sat by us !

They were better than us all over the pitch in terms of quality and the pace they play at, we matched them for 45 and got over run. 

On the keeper I understand why he played Dixon but it backfired, the first is strange and watching it back doubt it goes in without the tangle at back post but keeper nowhere near. Third a shambles. 

I was surprised that we decided to go 5-2-3 v aPremiership team. MJ and K Lee did as well as you could hope but 2 in midfield never seems enough. The full backs try and support and Kachunga in the 10 role maybe a bit but just looks short Everytime we play it.

Decent performance but the difference in class shone through. 

And to add we really need a player with something 'extra' to help change games, pace and/or skill, once a game starts going against us we go like for like without much success 

Edited by Ani

29 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Don’t wanna to single anyone out as tonight was about the collective but Kachunga. Fuck me

ball bounces right in your path with a clear shot and perfect angle at goal on your stronger foot and you cut back? 

never seen an attacking player so reluctant to have an effort at goal. And I don’t just mean tonight 

27 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

Spot on I really don’t see what he brings to the team his wages would be better spent on bringing somebody else in.

26 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Need to cut our losses with this guy

Shocking 

This is unfair, first half he was all over chasing balls down, putting pressure on the Villa players and won important free kicks when we were getting penned in at the back, he had a decent shot just left of the post and was unlucky with a header.

Second half he tired, as they all did, he could have shot but the villa player was moving to cut that out, his biggest mistake for me in that move was after cutting inside not trying to reverse it with Charles overlapping.  

I agree that I am not sure what his position really is, but first half he contributed a lot to our overall performance 

Kieran Lee was top class tonight, by far our best player. For the penalty, I thought Ings had the effort on goal (which was going wide) before Dixon made contact . Keeper positioning for the 3rd was awful. Still proud of them, on our way back…..

Superb first half. Great atmosphere and very supportive throughout.

Enjoyed seeing those little bits of quality from Villa (enjoyed not the right word but you know what I mean). Players taking one touch to control the ball where a League One player might take three, having that extra pace to stop the ball going out of play, the movement off the ball etc. You could just see the difference, but overall the scoreline was a bit harsh and shows we aren’t too far off really.

Was always going to be a big ask trying to press them, and they only really started to find those holes once it became more of an individual press.

Initially thought their first goal was a foul on Dixon but having just seen the replay on SSN I think it was more a case that he let himself get too distracted by the players around him. Completely and utterly lost his bearings on the third goal but I remember Jussi doing something similar once against Swindon(?) early in his career so nobody is perfect.

Lee excellent. Kachunga didn’t do much wrong but still felt something of a wasted spot rather than having a natural midfielder.

Traffic better than Saturday at least so I blame the shoppers. Wasn’t expecting to bump in to a group of Villa fans in Leigh McDonald’s after the game though FFS 😂 

• Site Supporter
53 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Well played santos good reaction from Saturday

Fair play mate - I agree, great response from him tonight.

All I wanted from today was a confidence boost after Saturday. And I Know a 1-4 defeat sounds anything but this, but I think there was enough there tonight to be positive about.

Lee, MJ and John were very good. For 60 mins we competed really well with a prem team. We stuck to our principles of passing, possession and pressing which, for 60 mins worked effectively.

Trafford would have made a difference, but I understand Evatts thinking with Dixon. 

With Dempsey, Morley and Jones rested they will be fresh for Saturday. A win (or even a draw) V Plymouth will have us back on track 

• Site Supporter

We did our best,but Prem class (even against  a bog standard side) shone through the longer it went on.

Lee and MJ did their best andit was good to see Charles on target again.

20odd thousand on a Tuesday night, between two Saturday homes is no mean feat, especially when it's on TV, so we're showing signs.

That word "proud" popping up a few times on here, and I agree a lot. Gerrard panicking for his job with a full strength side and for 55/60, you couldn't tell the two league difference. Fucking proud.

Dixon. First half he was an excellent sweeper keeper, which evatt wants. And some brave saves second half. But... Goal 1, ok, it's a 1 in 10,000 effort he may not be expecting. 2, Shocking ref decision for the pen, it's offside by a long way. 3 was embarrassing. For me, he's an OK L1 understudy but not for where Evatt wants to take us. 

Lee for our goal though... oh I liked that tenacity. Wish he had the legs to match.

For an hour we matched them, haven't seen any replays but both their first 2 goals looked dubious, but at 1-3 down we ran out of steam though I still think 1-4 flattered them.

A good crowd, a bit of money, a few rested players & I don't think any injuries - though some, Bradley, Charles, Dapo, Lee looked shattered. A good effort & i'm not that bothered about being out of this cup.

• Site Supporter

Baka had a bad un when he came on, just didn't go his way. 

Felt the work between Dapo and Kachunga was ace, swapping over and running them in circles. Really worked. 

What an awful ref, the linesman on the west side was absolute dire and so far behind play. He gave one offside about 20 yards further up the pitch after sprinting and then calling it. 

Can see why Evatt rested Trafford. We did better than I thought we would and last thing you want is your young star keeper having a load put past him on his first match vs a premiership team. Destroy his confidence and career prospects. 

Annoyed with fans leaving early! 

Had 3 behind us that must have been on day release.. Absolute cretins spending the whole match slagging out team. 

25 minutes ago, TM Trotter said:

That word "proud" popping up a few times on here, and I agree a lot. Gerrard panicking for his job with a full strength side and for 55/60, you couldn't tell the two league difference. Fucking proud.

Dixon. First half he was an excellent sweeper keeper, which evatt wants. And some brave saves second half. But... Goal 1, ok, it's a 1 in 10,000 effort he may not be expecting. 2, Shocking ref decision for the pen, it's offside by a long way. 3 was embarrassing. For me, he's an OK L1 understudy but not for where Evatt wants to take us. 

Lee for our goal though... oh I liked that tenacity. Wish he had the legs to match.

All correct.

Superb tonight, matched the Premier League millionaires for an hour without ther rub of the green.

I thought the ref had a reasonable if not decent first half, but it was almost as though he'd had instructions not to allow us to tackle in the second.

We gave it a go, they were better than us in the end, but the scoreline flattered them a litle.

Kachunga should have shot and neither him nor Bakayoko are footballers.