Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton V Aston Villa League Cup

gonzo

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Zico said:

To go back to the original point I wrote him off as our first choice keeper after Hartlepool following 6 months of not being particularly good

I believe he's getting courtesy cup games and unless Trafford gets injured or suspended he's not starting another first team game  

I don't even think he was shite the other night, but I saw nothing to suggest he's good enough for where we want to be 

His getting a game in the cup doesn't mean IE plans to pick him for the first team anytime soon 

I'm not saying he's shite, I don't think he's good enough as our first choice 

IE appears to be on the same page

Obviously he's not getting picked in front of Trafford. Didn't suggest otherwise. As I said, I'm just instinctively wired to defend any player in a Bolton shirt.

58 minutes ago, stevieb said:

I find it's blokes who have been parroting the same shit out for 30 years and can't see that we've changed our style of play. 

I was sat next to captain hindsight on Tuesday every misplaced pass or interception "who's that to... Should have gone to (whoever)".

Proper annoying as fuck. 

I’m all for our current style of play.. helps having been a qualified grass roots coach and understanding how dominating possession more often than not leads to a win. 

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Obviously he's not getting picked in front of Trafford. Didn't suggest otherwise. As I said, I'm just instinctively wired to defend any player in a Bolton shirt.

That's fair enough, remember though, they're not going to shag you

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’m all for our current style of play.. helps having been a qualified grass roots coach and understanding how dominating possession more often than not leads to a win. 

:)

how many cones an hour?

• Moderators

The game has changed dramatically in the last 10 (?), maybe 20, years. You saw against Villa that it's also a different game in the Prem, with a soft ref, you can't touch people, they go down every time. I'm all for blood and thunder, but you aren't getting that in any form of pro football in this country.

3 minutes ago, Carlos said:

The game has changed dramatically in the last 10 (?), maybe 20, years. You saw against Villa that it's also a different game in the Prem, with a soft ref, you can't touch people, they go down every time. I'm all for blood and thunder, but you aren't getting that in any form of pro football in this country.

Apart from their 44 on Tuesday he was allowed unlimited fouls 😂

2 hours ago, Cheese said:

You’re like one of those entrenched Tories who is instinctively wired to defend anyone wearing a blue rosette… 😬

29 minutes ago, Ani said:

Apart from their 44 on Tuesday he was allowed unlimited fouls 😂

The odd thing was that the ref called the player over and pointed out the multiple fouls he’d committed. Then said “anyway, crack on” and didn’t bother with the card.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Jol_BWFC said:

You’re like one of those entrenched Tories who is instinctively wired to defend anyone wearing a blue rosette… 😬

Except in this case my loyalty lies with a football club, not a political party who want to fuck poor people for profit. 🙃

With our way of playing & our pitch we were always likely to get outgunned going toe to toe with them. If we were a shithouse team with a shit pitch you have a much better chance of getting an "upset" but we're not so to go an hour making it competitive was a bloody good go by us. It was a big effort which we tired badly second half, booked defenders out on their feet being ran at by £30m wingers Bailey & Buendia who were both as fresh as a daisy. Villa's squad the other night could be about 150-200M where as ours is a load of free transfers and a few 100ks scattered in. Can't believe how insane the money is in the top tier, you have clubs who were massively struggling in the champ with us not so long ago just casually smashing over 100m like its monopoly money on the regular.

1 hour ago, Deanu said:

With our way of playing & our pitch we were always likely to get outgunned going toe to toe with them. If we were a shithouse team with a shit pitch you have a much better chance of getting an "upset" but we're not so to go an hour making it competitive was a bloody good go by us. 

I was thinking that during the game, if you're a Prem player going to a "minnow", there's a massive difference between going to the Unibol in front of 20k in a superb stadium with a perfect pitch, to playing at Accrington, Fleetwood or Cheltenham.  At those grounds they probably feel uncomfortable from the minute they try to crowd into tiny dressing rooms, to kicking off with the wind swirling in, a bobbly pitch and no atmosphere to speak of.  On the face of it we don't have the same chance of causing an upset as most teams in this league (same applies to Derby, Ipswich, Sheff Wed etc).

On 24/08/2022 at 21:10, Cheese said:

Yes, Premier Leagure players are fitter and faster and more talented than League 1 players. There are a multitude of reasons for that, and I think most of them are pretty obvious. If you think League 1 players should be as fit and talented as Premier League players, you need to sit down and have a think.

Can we meet up at the next home game and maybe you can explain to me your view whilst I’m sat there having a think.

11 hours ago, Cheese said:

Dixon isn't a young keeper who's coming through the ranks. He's a 28 year old pro. He's not going to improve. He's totally exposed.  People have forgotten how bad he was in the first half of last season. Hes not even good enough to be back up because he can't be relied upon. If Trafford gets injured this season were fucked. 

• The topic was unpinned
10 hours ago, Arrested development said:

Dixon isn't a young keeper who's coming through the ranks. He's a 28 year old pro. He's not going to improve. He's totally exposed.  People have forgotten how bad he was in the first half of last season. Hes not even good enough to be back up because he can't be relied upon. If Trafford gets injured this season were fucked. 

I was pilloried for saying he was shite at the time. Obviously better than Crellin but the sheer forcefullness of Gilks gave the defence confidence. This guy is another lightweight in terms of 'presence'.

He made some good saves on Tuesday but the first & third goals were error strewn. Villa set 4 people to box him in on a corner prior the the first goal. The referee should have stopped an obvious ploy. The second, the lad was in pure panic, due to that. Could you even imagine Gilks putting up with it ?

The third, I think he'd lost where he was positioned. They may have scored even if not but it was painful to watch.

He wasn't actively awful, just not good enough.

I still believe keepers are a blindspot for Evatt. Trafford isn't stopping but IE has close to a year to identify one to come in.

38 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Or two.  Dixon isn't going to get a new deal so 2 proper keepers needed for next season.  

Agreed. If we go up there'd be a chance of a 3rd season with Trafford, but even then not a certainty. You're right, Dixon isn't getting a new one. A mature, experienced guy looking for a couple of late career years to support a decent mid 20's one.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I was pilloried for saying he was shite at the time. Obviously better than Crellin but the sheer forcefullness of Gilks gave the defence confidence. This guy is another lightweight in terms of 'presence'.

He made some good saves on Tuesday but the first & third goals were error strewn. Villa set 4 people to box him in on a corner prior the the first goal. The referee should have stopped an obvious ploy. The second, the lad was in pure panic, due to that. Could you even imagine Gilks putting up with it ?

The third, I think he'd lost where he was positioned. They may have scored even if not but it was painful to watch.

He wasn't actively awful, just not good enough.

I still believe keepers are a blindspot for Evatt. Trafford isn't stopping but IE has close to a year to identify one to come in.

@Cheese right now

6r818d.jpg