Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Brand Evatt

desperado

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

Just clarify, there is no way this is leading to a custodial sentence from my understanding of the events. 

If it was, it would be a huge risk to opt for a crown court hearing

That's what he was alluding to. Obviously depends upon what level of charge so as to have a choice, but he didn't think there would be a custodial sentence neither, and that's if they're found guilty. Which he wasn't convinced they will be

4 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Was that not largely because he didn’t get a solid run? Both Dempsey and Morley were superb when they initially came in 12 months ago and would still be my preferred two.

TBF how many players get the luxury of a solid run in the team to prove themselves?  Such a luxury wasn't afforded to Baka or Sadlier for eg, they got 10 minutes here and there to prove themselves, others got game after game even if they weren't performing (Kachunga, Charles).  The likes of Bradley, Toal and now Shoretire showed their quality from the off, Dempsey was definitely a slow burner, and he's showing his quality now. 

Morley getting dropped for so long was nearly as strange as John, not saying he should never be rested, but he didn't play for about 2 months, what was all that about. 

4 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

TBF how many players get the luxury of a solid run in the team to prove themselves?  Such a luxury wasn't afforded to Baka or Sadlier for eg, they got 10 minutes here and there to prove themselves, others got game after game even if they weren't performing (Kachunga, Charles).  The likes of Bradley, Toal and now Shoretire showed their quality from the off, Dempsey was definitely a slow burner, and he's showing his quality now. 

Morley getting dropped for so long was nearly as strange as John, not saying he should never be rested, but he didn't play for about 2 months, what was all that about. 

I think they thought he needed to improve what he offered out of posession

He's been a different player since his return

36 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I think they thought he needed to improve what he offered out of posession

He's been a different player since his return

I'd be lieing if I claimed to have noticed he's significantly improved, I thought he was good before, had a great start to the season, and he looks to have just carried that on when recalled.  I admit I don't pay huge attention to all the defensive work, but I wouldn't put him in the same bracket as Williams or Dempsey on that front, or Bradley, who all make loads of challenges and interceptions.  Morley excels in possession more than those 3, always has done, and probably the only midfielder we have with a decent shot, now that Dapo and Sadlier have gone (I may have forgotten someone). 

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'd be lieing if I claimed to have noticed he's significantly improved, I thought he was good before, had a great start to the season, and he looks to have just carried that on when recalled.  I admit I don't pay huge attention to all the defensive work, but I wouldn't put him in the same bracket as Williams or Dempsey on that front, or Bradley, who all make loads of challenges and interceptions.  Morley excels in possession more than those 3, always has done, and probably the only midfielder we have with a decent shot, now that Dapo and Sadlier have gone (I may have forgotten someone). 

Evatt dropped him after the Wednesday and Plymouth defeats earlier in the season. 
He was poor in both games, especially the Plymouth game, and Evatt brought in Thomason, who subsequently stepped up his game.

Since being reintroduced, I can see exactly how he’s improved - sitting more deeply and keeping possession more consistently.

His game has matured massively and it shows how Evatt’s work on the training ground has been successful for both Morley and the team.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Steejay said:

Evatt dropped him after the Wednesday and Plymouth defeats earlier in the season. 
He was poor in both games, especially the Plymouth game, and Evatt brought in Thomason, who subsequently stepped up his game.

Since being reintroduced, I can see exactly how he’s improved - sitting more deeply and keeping possession more consistently.

His game has matured massively and it shows how Evatt’s work on the training ground has been successful for both Morley and the team.

1 hour ago, Traf said:

I don't think Morley was as lean/fit back then either. As well as tightening up his game, he seems to have shed a bit of timber (not that he was massive to start with)

I agree with both those observations.

He does look leaner to me too.

I’m sure Evatt mentioned recently that the data analysis they use is telling them how much more Morley is doing off the ball. And as streejay mentions I thinks it’s noticeable how much is game is maturing.

It helps that he’s playing with Dempsey and Lee who are both in great form. 

One thing about Evatt is that he's not been shy about changing systems and styles during his tenure - unlike some previous managers. Just wondering if these signings point to another tweak or if he just sees players and systems as options depending on how the game is going? I guess we'll see what he starts with over the next few games - but he has different options now that he didn't have before the window so it could be interesting.

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Steejay said:

Good stuff.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, jmjhb said:

I think we've got until the end of next season before he starts getting itchy feet

I really wish we could get him on a proper long contract. 4 or 5 years at least. And I think the chances of that happening are far better if we go up. As it stands, he's got 18 months remaining, so you're probably right.

Edited by Cheese

6 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I really wish we could get him on a proper long contract. 4 or 5 years at least. And I think the chances of that happening are far better if we go up. As it stands, he's got 18 months remaining, so you're probably right.

Indeed, but there is a project here, which isn’t readily available in our football at the moment. As long as the club keep there end of the bargain, it should continue to be fulfilling.

he said hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...

Things you love to see.

Ian Evatt admits the daily commute from his Chesterfield home is worth the effort when he is rewarded with the sight of the University of Bolton Stadium.

A 60-mile drive from his base in the Peak District, Evatt takes pride in his surroundings and is fortunate to have the Rivington Moor and Winter Hill visible from both his regular working environment at Lostock and also on matchdays at the ground itself.

At a recent Annual General Meeting of the Bolton Wanderers Supporters' Trust, the Bolton boss was asked what were the 'best and worst' parts of his job and whilst he was non-committal with an answer for the latter, he made it very clear what makes him smile each and every morning.

"I travel from the Peak District every day. It takes me about an hour-and-a-quarter," Evatt said.

"I leave my house at 5am every morning and every time I pull up on the M61 and see the stadium, I get this little shiver.

"I've always had it. I get it every day and it's just a wonderful feeling to be manager of this football club.

"Seeing that stadium standing there proudly off the M61 every day is just the best part of my job.

"As for the worst part...no comment!"

Victor Adeboyejo has spoken about his decision to join Bolton in the January transfer window, having previously been heavily linked with a move to Wigan Athletic.

Adeboyejo completed a switch to the University of Bolton Stadium in the closing days of the window, with Wanderers said to have paid a fee in the region of £500,000 to release the forward from his contract at Burton Albion.

The 25-year-old has 13 goals to his name so far this season but is yet to score in four appearances for the Trotters. Despite this, Adeboyejo says the Whites have given him the opportunity to lay some roots, become fully settled in the North West and concentrate on an end-of-season promotion charge.

"The week before, it seemed like it was going to be Wigan," Adeboyejo told The Bolton News.

"But when I spoke to the manager (Ian Evatt) and the people at the club about what their plans and goals were, I just felt very welcomed.

"They went into detail watching my clips, telling me things I need to work on and things that I'm really good at.

"When you see that and weigh it up - Wigan, they're doing well and pushing up the league - it just seemed right to come here and hopefully head up the right way.

"As a player, you want that stability and once you have that it's just about focusing on yourself and focusing on the work.

"I feel like I can now get myself settled, focus on the work and hopefully do the right things to get myself and the team going up the right way."

• Moderators
1 hour ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Things you love to see.

Ian Evatt admits the daily commute from his Chesterfield home is worth the effort when he is rewarded with the sight of the University of Bolton Stadium.

A 60-mile drive from his base in the Peak District, Evatt takes pride in his surroundings and is fortunate to have the Rivington Moor and Winter Hill visible from both his regular working environment at Lostock and also on matchdays at the ground itself.

At a recent Annual General Meeting of the Bolton Wanderers Supporters' Trust, the Bolton boss was asked what were the 'best and worst' parts of his job and whilst he was non-committal with an answer for the latter, he made it very clear what makes him smile each and every morning.

"I travel from the Peak District every day. It takes me about an hour-and-a-quarter," Evatt said.

"I leave my house at 5am every morning and every time I pull up on the M61 and see the stadium, I get this little shiver.

"I've always had it. I get it every day and it's just a wonderful feeling to be manager of this football club.

"Seeing that stadium standing there proudly off the M61 every day is just the best part of my job.

"As for the worst part...no comment!"

Seem to remember Dean Holdsworth saying similar about approaching the ground when he was signing for us and thinking "might not be a bad move this"  

Chesterfield to Horwich in 75 mins seems swift as well, spose it's clear at that time