Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Brand Evatt

desperado

1 minute ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

What more can you ask of him?

His statistics for us are phenomenal and our progress under his management has been outstanding. We won't get better anytime soon and our progress will falter 

Its all going well. No arguments on that front. But as things stand, we are still in L1. If we achieve promotion I’d take it all back in a jiffy and be on board with you. My gut feeling is we will still choke in the big game situation come May time and we won’t make it. 

As you say though at the moment it’s all going to plan but I’d still question why we can’t get going till Jan window each season and what’s been learnt from this which to Cheeses point doesn’t make it ridiculous.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, tomski said:

Its all going well. No arguments on that front. But as things stand, we are still in L1. If we achieve promotion I’d take it all back in a jiffy and be on board with you. My gut feeling is we will still choke in the big game situation come May time and we won’t make it. 

As you say though at the moment it’s all going to plan but I’d still question why we can’t get going till Jan window each season and what’s been learnt from this which to Cheeses point doesn’t make it ridiculous.

Who would you prefer we have in charge then?

9 minutes ago, tomski said:

No one currently. Not necessarily suggesting someone else as he needs to play the season out. All I’m saying is is a couple of his choices/decisions are fairly called out. 

Nobody gets it right all the time but how can he do better than the best record of anyone over his first 150 games? Also in his credit is that everyone else took over some semblance of a team, Evatt took over with virtually no players. I do think there is a valid argument that he would have been potted in the first half of his first season but for covid, after that he has performed amazingly, granted we haven't always agreed with all of his decisions but which manager was ever smarter than the fans? Even Allardyce made choices that us geniuses disagreed with.

25 minutes ago, perth_white said:

Nobody gets it right all the time but how can he do better than the best record of anyone over his first 150 games? Also in his credit is that everyone else took over some semblance of a team, Evatt took over with virtually no players. I do think there is a valid argument that he would have been potted in the first half of his first season but for covid, after that he has performed amazingly, granted we haven't always agreed with all of his decisions but which manager was ever smarter than the fans? Even Allardyce made choices that us geniuses disagreed with.

All fairly assessed. I’ll stress again i am enjoying the ride as much as the next person. I’m just not as all in as perhaps others are on here. I like him. 

If we don’t go up though I think it’s fair to question some things throughout the season. 

I agree on the fans being experts comments and not suggesting I know better.

Like I said, Let’s see what the season brings.

1 minute ago, tomski said:

All fairly assessed. I’ll stress again i am enjoying the ride as much as the next person. I’m just not as all in as perhaps others are on here. I like him. 

If we don’t go up though I think it’s fair to question some things throughout the season. 

I agree on the fans being experts comments and not suggesting I know better.

Like I said, Let’s see what the season brings.

Fair

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, tomski said:

PPG less than 2nd half of last season. Keep saying it. If you think he’s good. That’s great. I like him. I will judge at end of the season.

I think you have a point there, we perhaps didn't have a consistent early part of the season. Started well  but some poor results too.

I do think that Evatt spotted that though, and has since got rid of some and brought in others to improve that consistency. Perhaps he was surprised by it, as we were given how we finished. Fwiw, I do have a feeling that all wasn't as well in the camp as it may have been, and since Dapo left, the spirit has been excellent. It was Evatt himself who said Dapo wanted to play at a higher level so maybe he wasn't the best influence at times.

I suppose its an issue with having a window- you can't address the problems until it opens. 

The issue I think we'll have if we don't go up is keeping some of the better players. We'll lose the quality loanees too.

15 hours ago, gonzo said:

Hes going to the top.

Any manager that can change and evolve his ways and players is above the rest.

Trouble (for him) is would a PL team give him the time required?

Just checked back and on the 7th of this month two years ago we were 5 places above the National League. Now we're at Wembley with a good chance being back there again for a playoff - and an outside chance of going up automatically. So whatever eventually happens this year it's fantastic progress. But at the top you don't get 2 years; might be two months if the crowd turn against you. 

The thing is with Evatt is that it's consistent improvement with each transfer window and each new season. And for that incremental style, you need owners that are patient and fans who are happy to see any sort of improvement. So Bolton was a dream move for him and us at the time.

I think there's quite a bit more mileage in what he can achieve with us before our current lack of finances mean he's taken us as far as he can. 

52 minutes ago, kent_white said:

The thing is with Evatt is that it's consistent improvement with each transfer window and each new season. And for that incremental style, you need owners that are patient and fans who are happy to see any sort of improvement. So Bolton was a dream move for him and us at the time.

I think there's quite a bit more mileage in what he can achieve with us before our current lack of finances mean he's taken us as far as he can. 

True.

A question is ... Will HE be patient if we're still in the 3rd Division next season ?

Will the fans ? Will the board.

I, personally, think so but if a club waving big cash to spend, in that higher division I can see him leaving, full of tears maybe, but he will.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, kent_white said:

Depends upon what a manager sees as important. 

On a shoestring he's getting us higher, and as that has happened a bit more money has become available. Success breeding success in a sustainable manner.

I genuinely believe that apart from a very small number of clubs, more will use our model, especially if City get hammered.

Unless Evatt gets an offer at a big prem club, then he's no more likely to have long term "success" than by staying with us and seeing it through here. Even then it's unlikely he does a fergie or a wenger. 

Brighton showing the way really, and their former gaffer is now not in the same environment, and I doubt is in charge in the same way, and probably won't last.

Ultimately I don't see many English (British) managers getting a long go at the very top, unless they've had a decent period of sustained top flight success (Europe qualifying, a trophy in the cup) at a smaller club first.

3 hours ago, tomski said:

PPG less than 2nd half of last season. Keep saying it. If you think he’s good. That’s great. I like him. I will judge at end of the season.

So, if we don't get promoted, who will you judge to be better to take over next season?

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Depends upon what a manager sees as important. 

On a shoestring he's getting us higher, and as that has happened a bit more money has become available. Success breeding success in a sustainable manner.

I genuinely believe that apart from a very small number of clubs, more will use our model, especially if City get hammered.

Unless Evatt gets an offer at a big prem club, then he's no more likely to have long term "success" than by staying with us and seeing it through here. Even then it's unlikely he does a fergie or a wenger. 

Brighton showing the way really, and their former gaffer is now not in the same environment, and I doubt is in charge in the same way, and probably won't last.

Ultimately I don't see many English (British) managers getting a long go at the very top, unless they've had a decent period of sustained top flight success (Europe qualifying, a trophy in the cup) at a smaller club first.

I was reading about Brighton recently, as they are deemed to be a good model.

They owe something like £337m to their owner.

Whether he’ll ever expect it back…..

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

I was reading about Brighton recently, as they are deemed to be a good model.

They owe something like £337m to their owner.

Whether he’ll ever expect it back…..

All fine and dandy if he doesn't need it back.

My reference to them is more about their approach on the playing side of things. A steady set up with everyone seemingly singing from the same sheet.

If they have spent beyond their means, then presumably the ffp folk will be taking an interest, but they don't seem to be splashing mega bucks.