Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Brand Evatt

desperado

7 minutes ago, tomski said:

Always difficult to gauge as it’s easy to remember the cock ups but I’d struggle to remember the goals we score from this. 

It does look horrific when it goes wrong but surely you are more likely to lose possession booting it up top than ensuring it goes to a man.

Thats why Big Sam's focus was on always winning the second ball

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
6 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Have I mentioned yet, Evatt is ace

You know folk still doubt him, dont you?

Proper weird

Generally, its cos they wanted rid early doors. Theres one or two on here

Whenever theres a blip, its 'ill give him a couple more games'

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Have I mentioned yet, Evatt is ace

It'll be a very sad day when he moves on. I wish we could get him on an Allardyce length contract. He's only got a year and a bit left on his current one.

Edited by Cheese

The way we are playing is phenomenal, a style of play that has the foundation for us to really kick on.

Us football fans are a fickle bunch and when we are at home and it's 0-0 against Burton Albion for example and we play around at the back, our fans do love to moan and chuck in the "hoof it!"

But this style works and has taken time. Today we an example of all the hard work Evatt and his team have put in coaching this squad.

The board also have to take just as much praise for sticking with Evatt during tough times and supporting him.

The longer Evatt gets to work the the squad the better we will be. We aren't a finished article yet, but we are getting closer.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

The way we are playing is phenomenal, a style of play that has the foundation for us to really kick on.

Us football fans are a fickle bunch and when we are at home and it's 0-0 against Burton Albion for example and we play around at the back, our fans do love to moan and chuck in the "hoof it!"

But this style works and has taken time. Today we an example of all the hard work Evatt and his team have put in coaching this squad.

The board also have to take just as much praise for sticking with Evatt during tough times and supporting him.

The longer Evatt gets to work the the squad the better we will be. We aren't a finished article yet, but we are getting closer.

Our turnaround has been nothing short of incredible since Football Ventures decided not to renew Keith Hill's contract and took a chance on Evatt. If we don't go up this season, somebody with very deep pockets will be in for him.

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Lostock Whites said:

I like this bit.

The way he’s upgraded the squad while maintaining his brand and philosophy is commendable.

I agree with your first sentence, to play like we do and evolve the way we are doing doesn’t happen overnight.

However it’s also great to see on the “view from the other side”, that other fans, especially bigger clubs like Charlton, who have remained stagnant   for a number of years, look upon our journey jealously, coming from our recent position of nearly going bust, to now challenging for promotion to the Championship.

He really is doing a remarkable job, long may these good times continue.

Edited by desperado

When we were last in this league under Parky I was quite vocal on the turgid football we were subjected to every week. The general consensus, including a large few on here was, they’re league 1 players, That’s all they’re good for, it’s the best we can expect etc etc. Evatt has proven the difference between a manager and a coach. I would say the vast majority of players he has had whether they have remained with him or not have gone on to be better players. He got a lot of plaudits for the way he got barrow in to the league so I knew we were on to a winner when he came in. You could see what he was trying to do immediately. Yes it hasn’t always worked and the recruitment initially was questionable but that’s where we were. Since the Jan of L2 there’s been a plan, a profile and method to what he’s wanted to bring in. He’s showing players at any level can be made better and they aren’t just cloggers. 

more than that though, overall he conducts himself very well, he recognises the importance of the club to the fans and community, says the right things and I wouldn’t want anyone else carrying us forward currently 

8 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Would love to hear thousands chanting “Evatt sign a deal” at the next game. Just to make him feel loved if nothing else.

He’s always been our greatest asset.

Think he knows the fans love him, after the match yesterday he got a round of his song as he was walking back to the dressing room. He turned back with a big smile to applaud the fans again. 

43 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Love it

hope yous had a good day out

Certainly did, except for the trains from Cambridge being on rail replacement so having to go via Peterborough,  then getting stuck in traffic on the bus from North Greenwich and getting to the ground 15 minutes after KO, missing Morley's stunner. But caught up with a few off here and went for a few drinks in London Bridge after the game. 

Yeah, to be fair to him he's turned it around again.

In hindsight, more needed to be done in the summer because it did go a bit turgid and ineffective for a while in autumn. However he's noticed the issues, fixed them and now it's back to being effective and more importantly WINNING football. 

Edited by jmjhb

3 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

Speaking of Parky which I agree wholeheartedly about his limitations in football brand... Interestingly, where do you think us under Parky 16/17 would finish this season in League 1, with the squad we had ?

I think we'd have struggled to get into the top 6 

Hard to say, because Sheff Weds and Derby are set up a bit like Parky teams and doing well.

The blokes destined for the very top. Him and his team eye for recruitment is nothing short of incredible. That includes not just players coming in, but more importantly players going. Players that have done their job but arent at the level we need to be, might seem unpopular to shed but off they go and better replacements come in.

Clubs want that model more than anything nowadays. 

Hes not without fault. Nobody is. His team selections are questionable sometimes but which managers arent. 

On the whole his tenure has been unbelievable. Only a few weeks ago folk were calling him Phil Neale and some saying hed run his course. He hadnt, hed just reached the limit with that particular crop of players.

Now income the new ones and goodbye to the old ones who were performing they way he was asking. That's how he works.

3 minutes ago, gonzo said:

The blokes destined for the very top. Him and his team eye for recruitment is nothing short of incredible. That includes not just players coming in, but more importantly players going. Players that have done their job but arent at the level we need to be, might seem unpopular to shed but off they go and better replacements come in.

Hes not without fault. Nobody is. His team selections are questionable sometimes but which managers arent. 

On the whole his tenure has been unbelievable. Only a few weeks ago folk were calling him Phil Neale and some saying hed run his course. He hadnt, hed just reached the limit with that particular crop of players.

Now income the new ones and goodbye to the old ones who were performing they way he was asking. That's how he works.

Oh his team selections though like anyone they’re great if we win and wrong if he don’t. We’ve had a couple of managers (freedman in particular) who seemed to change for a very different reason. Evatt looks at the defensive side and maybe only changes 1 wing back. The majority of his changes are forward thinking and how we can hurt others. Freedman was all about changing to stop the opposition first and foremost. “Controlling the game without the ball” Evatt thankfully is the polar opposite. We all want to go to a game thinking “we have a chance today” that has been far from the case in the past regardless of the level we’ve been at and that’s due to how the manager at the time has approached the game

28 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I am not sure he would last at the top. The transition and time taken to implement is something you don’t get there. Which is a shame as he could probably build something great with money 

11 hours ago, newton_white said:

I wonder how many of those that wanted him potted halfway through his first season have choked to death on their massive portion of humble pie?

No doubting that he's doing a good job despite, sometimes, cutting his nose off to spite his face. He's stubborn, which can be both a strength and a weakness.

However, in those first 15 matches, let's call them 'the Crellin days' he was very fortunate there were no fans in or he'd have been lambasted.

He has owners who are loyal, dignified and determined &, y'know, I think that's half the deal.