Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Brand Evatt

desperado

1 hour ago, Burndens Bogs said:

We had 48 points halfway through the season (23 games) automatic promotion was well on track at that point.

We got 39 points in the 2nd half of the season, too many draws cost us dear in the end.

We finished on 87 points - close but no cigar, 93 points was needed.

Agreed those draws (Shrewsbury, Exeter, Northampton, Charlton, Stevenage) cost us - just as the dodgy results pre-Christmas cost us (Reading, Wigan, Carlisle, Bristol, Burton).  It was only on track if we matched the results, but it was a big ask when the fixtures got harder.   I'm not playing down how well we did in the first half, but the only properly tough aways (on paper) were Oxford and Pompey.  2nd half of season included aways at Orient, Blackpool, Wigan, Barnsley, Derby, Stevenage, Peterboro.  If we'd played those games in the 1st half of the season I'd expect us to be saying we improved and just came up short.

3 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Agreed those draws (Shrewsbury, Exeter, Northampton, Charlton, Stevenage) cost us - just as the dodgy results pre-Christmas cost us (Reading, Wigan, Carlisle, Bristol, Burton).  It was only on track if we matched the results, but it was a big ask when the fixtures got harder.   I'm not playing down how well we did in the first half, but the only properly tough aways (on paper) were Oxford and Pompey.  2nd half of season included aways at Orient, Blackpool, Wigan, Barnsley, Derby, Stevenage, Peterboro.  If we'd played those games in the 1st half of the season I'd expect us to be saying we improved and just came up short.

I wonder why the 2nd half of the season was way worse than the 1st?

We can't use that as an excuse though :)

With the news this morning that Victors fit and back in the fold I think IE’s biggest problem tomorrow will be picking a bench. I’m assuming that other than Paris for Demps the starting eleven will be as Peterborough meaning securing even a spot on the bench will be a challenge. Will Evatt stick with Coleman or risk not having a keeper replacement because if so that only leaves 6 spots for the rest now everyone’s fit. I think it’s going to be more a case of who isn’t picked than who is and I’m glad I’m not choosing. ☹️

• Members
11 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

With the news this morning that Victors fit and back in the fold I think IE’s biggest problem tomorrow will be picking a bench. I’m assuming that other than Paris for Demps the starting eleven will be as Peterborough meaning securing even a spot on the bench will be a challenge. Will Evatt stick with Coleman or risk not having a keeper replacement because if so that only leaves 6 spots for the rest now everyone’s fit. I think it’s going to be more a case of who isn’t picked than who is and I’m glad I’m not choosing. ☹️

This is the kind of match he picks a substitute goalkeeper I'd imagine

• Site Supporter

Baxter     
             Jones.              Santos.            Toal

Cogley.                       Sheehan.                  Ogbete

Maghoma.          Tomo      

Collins.     Charles

SUBS: Coleman, Iredale, Williams, Dempsey, Morley, Dan, CJ

18 minutes ago, desperado said:

Baxter     
             Jones.              Santos.            Toal

Cogley.                       Sheehan.                  Ogbete

Maghoma.          Tomo      

Collins.     Charles

SUBS: Coleman, Iredale, Williams, Dempsey, Morley, Dan, CJ

i think Victor is on the bench instead of coleman because he is mental like that. 

He brings on CJ and Victor for charles and collins and Ogbete for williams all around 65-70 mins

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Big E said:

i think Victor is on the bench instead of coleman because he is mental like that. 

He brings on CJ and Victor for charles and collins and Ogbete for williams all around 65-70 mins

He usually has a keeper in one off games ( I know it is 2 legs), his argument is  that it is worth the risk over a season for the extra options. But if Big Vic is fit hard to see how he does it . 

Think Big Dan misses out. 

Edited by Ani

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Dan was so far off it Saturday 

In contrast to the previous 15 months?

Guy is nowhere near the level of the top 4 leagues. Indeed, I would question even National League level.

He looked out his depth during his loan spell and I was gobsmacked when we signed him. Whatever Evatt saw in him, I can’t see it.

Edited by Rival Son

Dan is definitely not up to it but in his defence he was finding a bit of form before he got injured.

Him, Bod and Vic are not at the level we need for the system we play. 

1 hour ago, Ani said:

He usually has a keeper in one off games ( I know it is 2 legs), his argument is  that it is worth the risk over a season for the extra options. But if Big Vic is fit hard to see how he does it . 

Think Big Dan misses out. 

probably correct

1 minute ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Cue a 95th minute winner at Wembley for Dan

Shades of Fabien De Freitas in 1995? To be fair to Fab, he had a lot, lot more than Dan.

Dan had a great opportunity to score from 10 yards out on Saturday and elected to try and back heel it to whoever he thought was behind him. It was a defender.

1 minute ago, Traf said:

Dan had a great opportunity to score from 10 yards out on Saturday and elected to try and back heel it to whoever he thought was behind him. It was a defender.

Yep; he was shocking 

19 minutes ago, Big E said:

Dan is definitely not up to it but in his defence he was finding a bit of form before he got injured.

Him, Bod and Vic are not at the level we need for the system we play. 

Dan, CMG and Vic all found a run of form with a decent amount of game time before getting injured. 

I'm hoping Dan can come good as a Bod clone in holding up the ball for Dion or Collins and chipping in with 10 goals or so.

Cruel on Dan but he’s no youngster now yet still hasn’t reached any potential. He was improving before his injury but to be fair was still only average at best. Whether we go up,or not I don’t think Dans the man for us.

2 hours ago, Rival Son said:

In contrast to the previous 15 months?

Guy is nowhere near the level of the top 4 leagues. Indeed, I would question even National League level.

He looked out his depth during his loan spell and I was gobsmacked when we signed him. Whatever Evatt saw in him, I can’t see it.

Agree with this I was gobsmacked when we paid money and signed him not only is he a poor striker he’s made of glass .

2 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

Dan, CMG and Vic all found a run of form with a decent amount of game time before getting injured. 

I'm hoping Dan can come good as a Bod clone in holding up the ball for Dion or Collins and chipping in with 10 goals or so.

The main difference between Bod and Dan, is that Bod's second touch isn't usually a tackle

3 hours ago, boltonboris said:

The main difference between Bod and Dan, is that Bod's second touch isn't usually a tackle

He's usually injured making the first touch though.