Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Morecambe

little whitt

12 hours ago, Alf Hartigan said:

Packed out in the ESU upper left corner, I can usually have a lie down over 4 seats when I get bored.

That's the best turnout I've ever known relative to the game.  If you told me in the mid 80s that we would be getting 17000 on in the third tier against Morecambe I'd have said you're on drugs.

Good atmosphere too, loads of fans in their early twenties, there's a proper feel good factor at the moment.

Long may it continue.

That night match v Derby in 2008 when Stelios scored an injury time winner, attendance was 17,014.  Next game was a big local derby v Blackburn and as many as 18,315 there.  Got 18k or less lots of times that season.

While I'm on stats, we've played Morecambe 5 times in our history if I'm not mistaken and scored 1 goal in all 5.

1 hour ago, burnden said:

There was an incident on the row i sit on in IL3 last night , lad on the row in front called out a fella sat on our row for alledgedly making racist comments about gnahoua , got stewards involved and the fella was removed .

If he was - then fair enough.

Hiw you could prove it one way or another is a different matter though I suppose? 

I mean I managed to mishear a racist comment from 750 people so I'm not one to judge! 😁

9 hours ago, jules_darby said:

Massive Morley fan but he was less effective in the main in that deeper role for me. I much prefer him further forward where he gets involved in more dangerous areas 

I was just really impressed with his work rate, speed of thought, crisp passing, vision and reading of the game (so many interceptions), and the fact that he was constantly involved without his standards dropping.  I'm happy with whatever his position was meant to be last night, he looked like he was everywhere at times.  He wasn't faultless, some passes less than accurate, but I'll take that because he rarely settles for the obvious, sideways option.

1 hour ago, burnden said:

There was an incident on the row i sit on in IL3 last night , lad on the row in front called out a fella sat on our row for alledgedly making racist comments about gnahoua , got stewards involved and the fella was removed .

Did you or anybody else hear a racist comment ?

1 minute ago, Francis Fogarty said:

We've had some bloody good loanees over the years. I wonder how our loanees compare with clubs of a similar size/standing.

Is it a testament to Bolton coaching systems over the years that we've had some good 'ns ?

We've had many more shit ones though.

On the actual game, I thought Jon  Dadi had his worse game for us, his touch was poor.

Declan John frustrates, once he gets half turned onto his right he is lost. 
I get some people will find fault with Kachunga but when the comments come with 'apart from the goal' I think it is harsh. Similar with Dempsey, if Bakayoko puts the header away Dempsey gets an assist and his performance is viewed differently. 
It is clear we have more 'better' players to come in so we started last night with no Charles, Williams and Santos but there was no glaring weakness in the team. But only 4 games in we did have a B team player on the bench, with 2 games a week is the squad big enough (we probably had 5 out yesterday , 2 suspensions and 3 injuries) ? 
The kid at right back is a real game changer especially how play. I am a massive K Lee fan but think Morley, Dempsey and Williams will start the big games. Iredale at LWB, Dapo and Charles or Jon Dani up front. 

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, DazBob said:

We've had many more shit ones though.

Aye, fair point, but the shit ones didn't actually lose us anything, even lettuce hands, whereas the good 'uns have won us things. ALF scoredsome vital goals, Wilbraham hang on, was he a loanee  ? Can't be bothered looking it up.

Edited by Francis Fogarty
New shit has come to light.

49 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I was just really impressed with his work rate, speed of thought, crisp passing, vision and reading of the game (so many interceptions), and the fact that he was constantly involved without his standards dropping.  I'm happy with whatever his position was meant to be last night, he looked like he was everywhere at times.  He wasn't faultless, some passes less than accurate, but I'll take that because he rarely settles for the obvious, sideways option.

It’s not that I didn’t think he played well, I just feel that with MJ behind him he’s more weaponised.

I also thought Dempsey did a shit load of the unappreciated stuff last night. And KL

4 minutes ago, Ani said:

On the actual game, I thought Jon  Dadi had his worse game for us, his touch was poor.

I get some people will find fault with Kachunga but when the comments come with 'apart from the goal' I think it is harsh. Similar with Dempsey, if Bakayoko puts the header away Dempsey gets an assist and his performance is viewed differently. 
It is clear we have more 'better' players to come in so we started last night with no Charles, Williams and Santos but there was no glaring weakness in the team. But only 4 games in we did have a B team player on the bench, with 2 games a week is the squad big enough (we probably had 5 out yesterday , 2 suspensions and 3 injuries) ? 
The kid at right back is a real game changer especially how play. I am a massive K Lee fan but think Morley, Dempsey and Williams will start the big games. Iredale at LWB, Dapo and Charles or Jon Dani up front. 

Agree JDB's worst game, possibly not helped by some iffy passes to him in first half, from Jones among others (not one of his better nights either). John not terrible, just lacking his usual drive and enthusiasm for attacking.  Hopefully Iredale back on Sat.

I stand by my "apart from the goal" comment on Kachunga.  Its not as if he scored, or even "assist", he just latched onto a superb pass, beat his man and made a square pass.  Good play, but that's not enough for more than a 5 out of 10, just as JDBs assist for Bradley doesn't elevate his to a performance he'll be pleased with.

Yes a great cross from Dempsey, that would have been a fantastic move and goal, and with his industry and probing he was a 7 or 8 out of 10.  I just felt he was a bit wasteful with most of his final balls and his shooting was off, but he brings loads to the table and I'd love to see him get into the positions he got into v Wycombe with his finishing ability.

Good to win and dominate with, as you say, a weakened side and a few under par, exciting to think of the potential improvements.

19 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

It’s not that I didn’t think he played well, I just feel that with MJ behind him he’s more weaponised.

I also thought Dempsey did a shit load of the unappreciated stuff last night. And KL

Yes, all 3 of them put an absolute shift in, loads of little tackles and interceptions, not always winning the ball but not letting them settle.  Against a team that will have more possession than Morecambe (next 2 league games), it does make sense to me to have MJ in there for assurance and extra physicality compared to Lee.

11 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I liked that Dempsey left the pitch at the nearest point when he got subbed for Sadlier. Small things like that say a lot.

It was brought in last season to prevent time wasting ... like when players would wander towards the corner flag knowing they were going to come off and then walk back as slowly as possible when their number is shown.  Diouf was a master at it.

37 minutes ago, burnden said:

i didn't fella it was about 8 seats in from me i'm on the end of the row....can't answer for anyone else.

We wondered what the commotion was.Bad time for the stewards to grab him just as we scored 

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, DazBob said:

It was brought in last season to prevent time wasting ... like when players would wander towards the corner flag knowing they were going to come off and then walk back as slowly as possible when their number is shown.  Diouf was a master at it.

I didn't know that. 👍

1 hour ago, Ani said:

Sheehan & Isgrove both had 60 minutes for the B team at the weekend, which is good news.

3 hours ago, jules_darby said:

Yeah me too. I can't see how any ody can watch last night and think Dempsey had a bad game? I thought he was excellent.