Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sheff Weds

L/H White

10 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Sheffield didn't do much to deserve that win. We basically gave it to them on a silver platter.

I'll give them credit for defending well 2nd half, timewasting and taking their chances but we should've been 1-0 up a couple of minutes earlier with Bradley and we went to absolute shit after 2-0. Thought 2nd half we might come out fighting but somehow played worse.

Anyway, it happens. Santos will learn to look before he passes back next time hopefully.

I thought they were very good, to be fair. They didn't give us a moment's peace and stopped us playing our game.

A bad day at the office and certainly a reality check but still 7th so not disastrous yet .

Hopefully it's not a sign of things to come against the better teams , we can't afford to replicate last season's return against the top 6 , not if we are hoping to be challenging. Hopefully with Charles fit we should see a lot more movement up top .

2 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I thought they were very good, to be fair. They didn't give us a moment's peace and stopped us playing our game.

Very good ??? Well if their one of the better teams, it must be a very poor league. Gave them 2 goals, and they worked hard, but didn't see anything else from them.

1 minute ago, waffer cup 07 said:

Very good ??? Well if their one of the better teams, it must be a very poor league. Gave them 2 goals, and they worked hard, but didn't see anything else from them.

To be fair at 2-0 up the emphasis wasn't really on them to do much more other than defend and press well , which they did.

Looked like half of them were saving themselves for Tuesday night. These cup games can be a huge distraction.

Baka is a sub not a starter who cant jump for a ball. Bodvarsson should have started and Sadlier should be given a chance. Should have been 1 up but a minute later was 1 down and that turned the game on its head. Santos looked dazed for the entire 90 mins. Morley's delivery terrible, Dapo couldn;t get started. Kachunga has no end product and the midfield was overun by (old) man of the match Bannon who ran his socks off. Might have been more without Dempsey. Hopefully we forget it quickly but a realty check for everyone today.

Decent side Sheff Weds & a point would have been good today. It's only one poor result, therefore there is no need for any major over reaction, however unless we make 2 or 3 decent first team signings before the end of the month I feel that promotion will be beyond us this season as a few other teams have strengthened better than us.

We are a decent side when teams let us play and definitely top 10 material, but for me we are not street wise enough & are a bit naive (both the team & the manager). It was a bit men against boys in the 2nd half at times, Santos was very poor & lazy but for me they all were (several looked un interested at times) - there needs to be some tough decisions in the next few days if the club is serious about wanting promotion this season, the likes of Bakayoko & Kachunga need to be replaced and we need another DM and pacy direct forward, it was a poor decision by IE to start Bakayoko today as he's a last 15-20 sub at best.

We still need some pace, power & steel in the side as we have done for a few years under IE, the good thing is that the board & manager have time to do something about it.

14 minutes ago, waffer cup 07 said:

An under strength team, away from home against a promotion rival, and they stop us playing, go two nil up and are very rarely under a great deal of pressure.

If we'd have done the same thing we'd be well pleased.

7 minutes ago, Black Sheep said:

Decent side Sheff Weds & a point would have been good today. It's only one poor result, therefore there is no need for any major over reaction, however unless we make 2 or 3 decent first team signings before the end of the month I feel that promotion will be beyond us this season as a few other teams have strengthened better than us.

We are a decent side when teams let us play and definitely top 10 material, but for me we are not street wise enough & are a bit naive (both the team & the manager). It was a bit men against boys in the 2nd half at times, Santos was very poor & lazy but for me they all were (several looked un interested at times) - there needs to be some tough decisions in the next few days if the club is serious about wanting promotion this season, the likes of Bakayoko & Kachunga need to be replaced and we need another DM and pacy direct forward, it was a poor decision by IE to start Bakayoko today as he's a last 15-20 sub at best.

We still need some pace, power & steel in the side as we have done for a few years under IE, the good thing is that the board & manager have time to do something about it.

Spot on this Sheep. What I couldn’t understand mostly today was the complete absence of Lee who could have made so much difference with his experience. Five subs and he wasn’t amongst them and exactly how bad does Santos have to be before he’s replaced. Too much chopping and changing with Evatt I’m afraid, completely unnecessarily in my view so 3 out of ten for our manager today with both the starting eleven and subs.

31 minutes ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

As much as it was Santos fault, I still can't fathom why Trafford was stood where he was

Think he'd done it a couple of times already to give Santos an option to pass to and move us forward, can't understand why Santos tried a fucking no look pass to him when surely he knows Trafford drifts out wide of the goal a bit

Just now, Marc505 said:

Think he'd done it a couple of times already to give Santos an option to pass to and move us forward, can't understand why Santos tried a fucking no look pass to him when surely he knows Trafford drifts out wide of the goal a bit

He’s been found out and imo a liability 

11 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Spot on this Sheep. What I couldn’t understand mostly today was the complete absence of Lee who could have made so much difference with his experience. Five subs and he wasn’t amongst them and exactly how bad does Santos have to be before he’s replaced. Too much chopping and changing with Evatt I’m afraid, completely unnecessarily in my view so 3 out of ten for our manager today with both the starting eleven and subs.

Agree lee probably should have been brought on his experience could have really helped. But the Santos comment is j7st scape goating, he was rash last week and got a red card, but he is club captain ab always going to come back in. He hasn't been consistently bad to warrant comments of dropping him

• Site Supporter
50 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Baka is a last 20 min man I won’t hear any different 

No point in doing that unless we play to his strengths. Back to the goal he's a bit of a garage door. Needs service.

Front line was shite as a whole, and when Katcha came on, he was stood in the same place as Charles at times. None of them seemed to want to run into the channels for passes from the full backs. With them pressing us quickly, that was an obvious out ball, but too often no one showed. Their big centre backs were barely turned and gobbled stuff up when we tried to play it into our strikers.

When I seen Baka was starting with Dapo I feared the worse like several have said he is not good enough to start. Santos needs to get his act together and concentrate more.

My worry is we have no plan B and why IE didn’t make changes at half time I just don’t understand. 

only 1 game lost we just need to learn from it .

A little worrying for me today was the lack of intensity & quality from almost all the team, I thought Sheff Weds handled us quite easily without getting out of 2nd gear.

If the board do back IE in the next 10 days or so and replace the likes of Bakayoko & Katchunga and look to bring in a decent DM to challenge Williams, I really do hope that they look at championship level players and not league 2 players who may improve in 1-2 years time. The likes of Ipswich & Sheff Weds sign proven championship level players, unfortunately we don't and I thought today it showed. 

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Vice captain was shite as well, he needs to up his game, perhaps his best position isn't in a back 3. 

Yes agree Jones was very poor, another player who we need to improve on if we are to seriously challenge this season - steady player however he's nowhere near a top 6 league 1 player, Hopefully Toal takes his place ASAP.