Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sheff Weds

L/H White

Barry Bannan is too good for this league, he’d be one of the best centre mids in the championship. Rare that I clap an opposition player off but with the lesson he gave our lot today, and seeing as he had a decent spell with us, I thought he was worth the recognition when he got subbed.

We looked like 2 teams cancelling each other out for the first 35 minutes, then 2 minutes changed the game.

They looked miles better than they did last season but I’d be interested to see how they get on if they lose either Bannan or Gregory (who showed our forwards how to play up top), they’re both pivotal to an otherwise solid team.

Santos plays on the edge of relaxed and practically asleep, he was the latter today. When he’s in form he’s immense, but when he’s not he looks like an ambling cart horse, and that was today. The amount of passes he left short, or kicked with his ankle because the ball was under his feet. He’ll come good but these are the games why he’s playing in league one.

JDB and Charles have to be first choice strikers, fuck knows what that means for Dapo but probably the top of the midfield against poorer sides and bench / rotated with Charles against the better ones. Also not sure that Jones is up to speed yet, nothing terrible but he just doesn’t look like he’s in form quite yet.

Long season and I’d have taken 8 points from the first 5 games but it doesn’t make it any less shit to lose a big game like that.

3 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Haven’t seen car park so full

cars parked in bus spaces far end, be a long wait later 

Just got home. Traffic about as shit as our performance.

All hinged on the few minutes spell when Bradley should have scored and all of a sudden we were 2-0 down.

Not many players getting pass marks unfortunately. 

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Barry Bannan is too good for this league, he’d be one of the best centre mids in the championship. Rare that I clap an opposition player off but with the lesson he gave our lot today, and seeing as he had a decent spell with us, I thought he was worth the recognition when he got subbed.

We looked like 2 teams cancelling each other out for the first 35 minutes, then 2 minutes changed the game.

They looked miles better than they did last season but I’d be interested to see how they get on if they lose either Bannan or Gregory (who showed our forwards how to play up top), they’re both pivotal to an otherwise solid team.

Santos plays on the edge of relaxed and practically asleep, he was the latter today. When he’s in form he’s immense, but when he’s not he looks like an ambling cart horse, and that was today. The amount of passes he left short, or kicked with his ankle because the ball was under his feet. He’ll come good but these are the games why he’s playing in league one.

JDB and Charles have to be first choice strikers, fuck knows what that means for Dapo but probably the top of the midfield against poorer sides and bench / rotated with Charles against the better ones. Also not sure that Jones is up to speed yet, nothing terrible but he just doesn’t look like he’s in form quite yet.

Long season and I’d have taken 8 points from the first 5 games but it doesn’t make it any less shit to lose a big game like that.

Santos should have been dragged off today. Any other player making that many mistakes and they’re getting the curly finger. 

25 minutes ago, Black Sheep said:

A little worrying for me today was the lack of intensity & quality from almost all the team, I thought Sheff Weds handled us quite easily without getting out of 2nd gear.

If the board do back IE in the next 10 days or so and replace the likes of Bakayoko & Katchunga and look to bring in a decent DM to challenge Williams, I really do hope that they look at championship level players and not league 2 players who may improve in 1-2 years time. The likes of Ipswich & Sheff Weds sign proven championship level players, unfortunately we don't and I thought today it showed. 

The trouble is they have deeper pockets than we do.

Edited by Lt. Aldo Raine

1 hour ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

As much as it was Santos fault, I still can't fathom why Trafford was stood where he was

What I don't understand is why Santos doesn't even start running until Traff has made the clearance. If he puts the some effort tracking back he would have recovered the clearance of the line and it would be panic over.

GIF-220820_182339.gif

Edited by mikepearson

Basically today we saw the standard that's required to be competing at the top of this league, and it highlighted that there is a still a decent gap in quality that we need to close, the reality is that we were outclassed by a much better team and if we don't bring in a couple of championship standard players in the next week or so, we'll finish in a similar position to last season.

We will find out how serious FV are about promotion this season in the next 10 days.

5 minutes ago, mikepearson said:

What I don't understand is why Santos doesn't even start running until Traff has made the clearance. If he puts the some effort tracking back he would have recovered the clearance of the line and it would be panick over.

GIF-220820_182339.gif

Oh absolutely,  as soon as he saw traf stranded he should have busted a gut to get back.

Outclassed? you're avin a larf! We where much the better team until Santos' brainfart and the few minutes afterwards when it all went to pot, then sheff wed played as a team 2-0 up. If Bradley had scored minutes before it would have been a whole different story and you'd probably be on here saying how we outclassed them

34 minutes ago, Black Sheep said:

A little worrying for me today was the lack of intensity & quality from almost all the team, I thought Sheff Weds handled us quite easily without getting out of 2nd gear.

If the board do back IE in the next 10 days or so and replace the likes of Bakayoko & Katchunga and look to bring in a decent DM to challenge Williams, I really do hope that they look at championship level players and not league 2 players who may improve in 1-2 years time. The likes of Ipswich & Sheff Weds sign proven championship level players, unfortunately we don't and I thought today it showed. 

The fact of the matter is, those two clubs have much greater financial resources than us at present.

Not necessarily a bad thing, we just have to be a bit smarter with how we spend our money as we can’t/won’t spend £8-10k a week in wages on a Championship player.

Real disappointment all over the pitch today , dapo and Baka weren’t mobile enough up top where as Wednesdays front three were like terriers. The balance of the team didn’t look right, Jones Morley , Dempsey very subdued. Does feel like we need a bit of pace added to the squad from somewhere, as good as Bradley is we seem to be relying on him to much even at this early stage. Could be that evatt has a few injuries and doesn’t quite know his best eleven. Does feel like we have missed a trick today though think they were there for the taking.

• Site Supporter

Bit of an over reaction from a few on here. No surprise, it’s an emotional game and we all want to win.

For me, the squad is good enough to pick players based on form rather than reputation. Aimson should have started. Santos isn’t right this season, no idea if there’s a reason or he’s just out of form but he ain’t right.

A few didn’t perform as well as they could have. Morley, Dempsey and Bradley looked a bit off the pace.

Bod & Charles when both 100% fit are our best strike force by a mile. They feed off each other.

If Bradley puts us 1 up, the game is totally different. Relax, 1 bad result doesn’t make us shit. I remember getting bummed 5-2 at Southend in a season where we lost 4 and they went down.

Lets see what happens in the next 5 or 6 games. We’ll be fine.

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, auckland_bwfc said:

Jones has been off last three or so games, even the basics are eluding him currently 

Don’t like saying this because I’ll get slated but said at Ipswich, our weak spot is Jones. 

He’ll play a role for sure but for me, certainly him and probably Santos have reached their ceiling. Upgrades probably needed to get over the promotion line.

They aren’t dreadful by any stretch but a little bit more quality is probably required. Can we afford it without a sale? Probably not.

9 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Bit of an over reaction from a few on here. No surprise, it’s an emotional game and we all want to win.

For me, the squad is good enough to pick players based on form rather than reputation. Aimson should have started. Santos isn’t right this season, no idea if there’s a reason or he’s just out of form but he ain’t right.

A few didn’t perform as well as they could have. Morley, Dempsey and Bradley looked a bit off the pace.

Bod & Charles when both 100% fit are our best strike force by a mile. They feed off each other.

If Bradley puts us 1 up, the game is totally different. Relax, 1 bad result doesn’t make us shit. I remember getting bummed 5-2 at Southend in a season where we lost 4 and they went down.

Lets see what happens in the next 5 or 6 games. We’ll be fine.

Spot on about picking players in form, we are not good enough to  be making 5 changes  from Tuesday, one or two coming back from injuries so it’s possible that a few weren’t able to play two games in four days

Massive overeation by a lot.

Today was no walkover, just two minutes of absolute madness.

But like a boxer, you let your guard down for a split second and bosh its all over.

Those 2 minutes are all that separated us today. And Barry Bannan.

Different day, Bradley scores, Santos doesnt spend all morning smoking crack and its a different story.

They are the best team we will play this season. We did ok.

....I'd be having a word with Stockton in the meantime. Hes better than baka and Kachunga.

8 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Massive overeation by a lot.

Today was no walkover, just two minutes of absolute madness.

But like a boxer, you let your guard down for a split second and bosh its all over.

Those 2 minutes are all that separated us today. And Barry Bannan.

Different day, Bradley scores, Santos doesnt spend all morning smoking crack and its a different story.

They are the best team we will play this season. We did ok.

....I'd be having a word with Stockton in the meantime. Hes better than baka and Kachunga.

Is Santos actually Rudy?