Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sheff Weds

L/H White

• The topic was pinned
  • Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Big statement if we can beat these men.

Just noticed Charlton slapped Plymouth 5-1 last night, wtf? Dark horse for this season maybe?

Argyle were only 1 down when they had a man sent off in the 39th minute.

4 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Argyle were only 1 down when they had a man sent off in the 39th minute.

Just watched the highlights , looks like one of those nights where everything went right for them but still, maybe they're coming good

8 hours ago, Traf said:

At the risk of being pedantic, there was never nearly 18k on last night.
Tickets/ST's sold yes, but bums on seats no.

That goes without saying but its all relative.  Published attendances of 13 or 14k in previous seasons for midweek games in previous 10 years or so, some of those gates looked like 9k, really sparse.  Last night was the fullest I've seen it for a run of the mill midweek game since we dropped out of Prem.  Excluding £10 games etc.

Was saying last night amongst all of this rotation. Morley never is. Become the key element of that midfield. Covers ground, progressive passing, presses well.

that might change when Sheehan is back to full fitness but he is alongside Trafford, Santos and Jones as the ‘play when they’re available’ group 

3 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Was saying last night amongst all of this rotation. Morley never is. Become the key element of that midfield. Covers ground, progressive passing, presses well.

that might change when Sheehan is back to full fitness but he is alongside Trafford, Santos and Jones as the ‘play when they’re available’ group 

Fair shout that. Though I feel like I’ve forgotten what Sheehan is about as it seems so long. 

1 minute ago, tomski said:

Fair shout that. Though I feel like I’ve forgotten what Sheehan is about as it seems so long. 

Important season for Sheehan. Out of contract at the end of it

talented player without question but our midfield has improved a hell of a lot since he last played 

• Site Supporter

I was disappointed last season with Sheehan's defensive work. Perhaps with the addition of Dempsey that issue has been dealt with to a degree, but at the same time Morley has also come along and become key.

Not sure he now gets a regular first team start so come the window at Christmas, injuries depending, it will be interesting to see if he stays.

33 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Important season for Sheehan. Out of contract at the end of it

talented player without question but our midfield has improved a hell of a lot since he last played 

From memory I think his qualities will shine in a better team. Defo a plus. A contract to earn isn’t a bad thing either.

• Site Supporter

Don’t think we saw the best of Sheehan last season because fat Stockport boy wanted to play in Sheehans best position.

With a solid midfield around him, I’ve every confidence he’ll do well for us but it will still take a couple of months yet before he’s fully ready

11 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I was disappointed last season with Sheehan's defensive work. Perhaps with the addition of Dempsey that issue has been dealt with to a degree, but at the same time Morley has also come along and become key.

Not sure he now gets a regular first team start so come the window at Christmas, injuries depending, it will be interesting to see if he stays.

I think if anyone was going to be eyeing a move away from the midfield group come January it'd be Sadlier for me. I think he's got real quality but doesn't have a nailed on position in the system we play but could definitely start for almost any other team in the league. 

3 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Don’t think we saw the best of Sheehan last season because fat Stockport boy wanted to play in Sheehans best position.

With a solid midfield around him, I’ve every confidence he’ll do well for us but it will still take a couple of months yet before he’s fully ready

I’m hoping Sheehan could be the direct replacement for Lee.

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, meanderson93 said:

I think if anyone was going to be eyeing a move away from the midfield group come January it'd be Sadlier for me. I think he's got real quality but doesn't have a nailed on position in the system we play but could definitely start for almost any other team in the league. 

Not sure his contract runs out so soon though.

• Site Supporter

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/20669235.bolton-wanderers-set-recall-key-striker-dion-charles-sheffield-wednesday/

IT’S ‘all systems go’ for Dion Charles’s first team return at Wanderers this weekend.

The Northern Ireland international has been passed fit after a thigh injury and could even be played from the start against Sheffield Wednesday.

Charles has only featured once for the Whites this season, at Ipswich Town, but Ian Evatt is confident he will be able to step straight back into the action.

“He is over it,” he told The Bolton News. “It was one of those injuries where he was aware of it but felt he could carry on and just out of precaution, we had it scanned, and then we found a bit of damage which could have worsened.

“It might not have worsened, but we chose not to take that risk because he is a big player for us and because we have other options there which can give him the time to heal properly.

“He has healed properly now and he is training fine. We just felt that Morecambe was a step too soon and more of a risk than if we waited a couple more days and put him back to Sheffield Wednesday.

“That’s what we are looking to do. At the moment, it is all systems go!”

Charles has been a regular starter for Evatt since signing from Accrington Stanley in January and his busy, harassing style has proved popular with the fans.

Evatt says it is also the reason he did not want to bring him back sooner, with pace so important to the striker’s game.

“That’s one of Dion’s assets - he catches pigeons – that is just what he does.

“We need him fit, firing and 100 per cent, and if he is that, then he is a big threat for everybody.”

In Charles’s absence Wanderers have managed to stay unbeaten and keep three successive clean sheets in the league – with all the goals coming from defence and midfield.

Evatt has invested in improving his side’s set plays this season and has increased the amount of analysis done on corner and free-kicks in an effort to find more ‘marginal gains’ to help results.

“We’re creating chances and we created chances on Saturday,” he said. “It was actually nice and refreshing to hear an opposition manager praise our set plays, which was very pleasing.

“But I think the work that we have done there, you can see that we worked on them, we are giving them more importance. We are really drilling down into the detail of set plays and I thought on Saturday we looked a real threat every time we got one.”

“We’ll keep working hard with that because it can win you games, it almost won us one on Saturday.”

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter
25 minutes ago, W.cramp said:

Another declaration like the Sunderland game would be nice.   

Was only thinking last night; we haven’t battered a promotion hopeful 6-0 yet this season. We’re maybe due one of those games.