Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton V Charlton

desperado

That's a real settling result after the two consecutive defeats. 

Name of the game for us in September is to end the month in a roughly similar position to the one we are in  now. They're not easy fixtures. Then in October/November/December we're playing (on paper!) the lesser sides and we can press on from a solid base and hopefully be right in contention come the turn of the year.

Hopefully at Cheltenham next week we can get a striker on the scoresheet in a league game. 

Edited by paulhanley

2 minutes ago, tshape said:

Young George had a very good game in midfield. Love how he passes the ball with purpose and always shows for it. Fancied us today and well pleased with that. Big win in what was a big game for us.

He can play it short or long and rarely makes a bad pass. Unlucky not to get on the score sheet.

• Site Supporter

Some have written Thomason off too soon. While he isn't a world beater, he's plenty good enough to play his fair share of games this season.

I thought in L2 he had the makings of a possible championship midfielder in time. His passing is quality, just needs more belief/experience in picking forward passes better and getting the odd goal. I'm happy to have him around.

Thomasson was exceptional today, delighted for him. Hopefully that gives IE even more headaches in the centre. 

Great response from all after a poor start. Kept charlton at bay for the rest of the game quite comfortably. 

Lovely getting a good, solid win in front of a big crowd for a change. 19k on today? Cracking effort. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, frank_spencer said:

This 'Her Game Too' as well as selfies of lasses all dolled up in their wanderers clobber needs a pic of @barryk32's Sharon bevved up and windmilling at the home fans.

Shes not got in any bother soi far this season.  Cheltenham anyone 👀

4 minutes ago, TM Trotter said:

Thomasson was exceptional today, delighted for him. Hopefully that gives IE even more headaches in the centre. 

Great response from all after a poor start. Kept charlton at bay for the rest of the game quite comfortably. 

Lovely getting a good, solid win in front of a big crowd for a change. 19k on today? Cracking effort. 

He did very well. I think he's more direct than Lee, Dempsey or Morley and gave us an extra dimension today.

Got a little sloppy as he tired towards the end, but a really strong showing from him today.

• Site Supporter
59 minutes ago, desperado said:

You surely have to be man enough to come on and admit you were wrong.He was fantastic today.

Apologies if you have already done it - this is the last post I read pre-game, so I had to comment!

Bang on.

Ridiculous some of the comments. His speed of passing and little movements to receive it back were excellent. Worked hard as they all did, was directing other players probably more than any player I've seen this season.

Not the quickest player, but none of the midfielders are.

I wonder if he was selected because of his height given Charlton were a big team.

Whatever Evatt's thinking, the lad was excellent and more than justified his selection.

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, kent_white said:

He did very well. I think he's more direct than Lee, Dempsey or Morley and gave us an extra dimension today.

Got a little sloppy as he tired towards the end, but a really strong showing from him today.

I like how he looks to play positive, forward balls for others. Doesn't necessarily over complicate things.

Was he definitely offside for the goal- couldn't tell from our position. 

Very brave selection from IE, he would have got dogs abuse if we had lost today after making so many changes. Although I don't necessary agree with him making 4 or 5 changes every game, but today he got it spot on.

Thomason & Lee outstanding, Bakayoko not so (IMO) - I honestly can't see what he brings to the team, and I still think that we need to be stronger at the back, although Santos had a good game. 

Very good & important 3 points. 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Eavesy said:

That team with a fit bodvarsson instead of Bakayoko and we’d thrash a few teams 

I’m just looking at his body language. Didn’t communicate with Charles (or anyone else). Dapo did all the things he didn’t.

12 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I like how he looks to play positive, forward balls for others. Doesn't necessarily over complicate things.

I couldn't tell either tbh! 

Edited by kent_white

• Site Supporter

Some interesting (possibly pointed) post match comments from Evatt. May explain a bit more about the selection. 

Good on him and good on those who came in.

Baka doesn't have good control and his passing is inconsistent. He does get into the right places though, and at times we are still wasteful with final balls- he's definitely more of a goal scorer than a target man.

37 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

As I watched it live I thought he was offside but this angle suggests otherwise.

I can't complain though because our first wouldn't have gone in if Bradley hadn't have handball it.

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Some interesting (possibly pointed) post match comments from Evatt. May explain a bit more about the selection.

What did he say? 

I wasn't sure about that midfield but they played very well and after some mistakes recently thought Santos was very good 

Most surprising was John on the bench, thought he was out for some time with us signing Beck, thought he might come on for Iredale who looked knackered second half

Don't rate Baka as a starter so the sooner JDB is back the better 

Few twitchy arses when Trafford went down with no sub keeper

Guessing Sadlier didn't take his chance the other night