Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton V Charlton

desperado

4 hours ago, Arrested development said:

I always say lay your cards on the table before it starts....

Thomasson isn't fit to lace Aaron Morley's boots. 

Don't care how well he played in the pizza cup he's shouldn't be anywhere near our starting 11 when we have fit fresh midfielders

Thomason rightly getting a lot of plaudits but thought Lee was also very very good today and the trio nullified their midfield and caused them a lot of problems into the bargain.

Their 17 was a very good player and could have had a hat-trick on a different day. I said to someone that he probably gets slagged off left, right, and centre on their forums/social media but that might come out on View From The Other Side.

Great win against the type of side who we need to be beating at home if we want to be in the mix after 46 games. 

Great recovery after the early setback, played some lovely football & couldn't tell if Charlton were ordinary or did we make them look ordinary.

No bad performances but Johnston did well to settle after a shaky start, Lee is still classy, Thomasson had his best game for us yet......a left footed version of Morley today, & MOTM easily Santos, rock solid in defence & passed the ball beautifully both long & short.

EIEIEIO

Thomason had a great game today , can’t fault the lad but mom by a country mile was Lee .He was everywhere , breaking play up , pressing high , tackling, playing one two’s great performance.

Baka not the greatest at linking play , but he gives it 100% & with better crossing will get goals with his telescopic leg .

Charlton are top ten , not shabby at all , Trafford made several good stops second half lest we forget.

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, Zico said:

What did he say? 

I wasn't sure about that midfield but they played very well and after some mistakes recently thought Santos was very good 

Most surprising was John on the bench, thought he was out for some time with us signing Beck, thought he might come on for Iredale who looked knackered second half

Don't rate Baka as a starter so the sooner JDB is back the better 

Few twitchy arses when Trafford went down with no sub keeper

Guessing Sadlier didn't take his chance the other night

"People will be rotated, move in and out of the match, and they have to stick to their beliefs and with each other. If they are going to be miserable and mardy then do it with me in my office. I don’t mind.

But with each other they need to be positive because when it is their turn they will need the players’ support from the bench too."

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/20899311.bolton-wanderers-3-1-charlton-athletic---ian-evatts-post-match-verdict/

• Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

That performance from 1-11 plus subs was superb but that performance from Thomason was different class… must admit never thought he was capable of that level of performance, please for the lad he’s come through the hard way, worked his socks off to get where he is. 

Lee wasn’t so bad either eh, even though his legs have gone? 😂

6 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

That performance from 1-11 plus subs was superb but that performance from Thomason was different class… must admit never thought he was capable of that level of performance, please for the lad he’s come through the hard way, worked his socks off to get where he is. 

Thomason's passing and speed of thought was a revelation.  Only thing I would be careful about is his attempts at tackling, he's already been sent off once this season for a lunge and today he slid in 4 or 5 times without necessarily winning the ball, but taking the man most times.  The ref was really lenient, for both sides, and didn't want to book anyone, but Tomo is a booking waiting to happen the way he challenges.  

Kieran Lee was the first half MOM, even better than Tomo, plays on a different level to everyone else when on form.  I would still hesitate to play him at Cheltenham though - different game entirely.

Not sure I go along with the "1 to 11 superb", I would hope Baka, Charles and Iredale can play better than today (great assist from Iredale though).  But some cracking football, and good saves from Trafford, especially that one low to his left when it was 2-1.

35 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

Their 33 was a big lad, only 18 too! Miles Leaburn, pretty quick and a handful.

Their best player was probably No 17 (19 year old from Palace) or No 9 

Their No 17 (Jesuran Rak-Sakyi) was superb, beat either Johnstone or Iredale every single time and deserved a goal.

I thought Leaburn was a bit of a donkey, no threat at all.  Stockley was a disappointment too on the day, hard to believe he played quite a bit for PNE.

• Site Supporter

Lee's running and timing were superb in the first half.

The press all over helped and some good passes into him really made it difficult for Charlton.

They were better second half, and for a while, our tempo dropped a little. Still posed a threat and the 3rd wrapped it up.

Dapo getting clobbered left him moving a bit gingerly which hopefully will be nothing major. 

45 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Thomason had a great game today , can’t fault the lad but mom by a country mile was Lee .He was everywhere , breaking play up , pressing high , tackling, playing one two’s great performance.

Baka not the greatest at linking play , but he gives it 100% & with better crossing will get goals with his telescopic leg .

Charlton are top ten , not shabby at all , Trafford made several good stops second half lest we forget.

Agree on Lee, what a pleasure to watch him play, again.  Its so lazy to say he's getting a bit past it, or he's tired, just nonsense, seems to be based on his injury about 3 years ago.  Not convinced Charlton are top 10, maybe top half, there's a lot of competition up there. 

15 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Lee is still our best. He’s fit he plays. Simple as 

Even away from home?  Someone that goes to most games home and away might have more insight than me, I'm just going off stats.  The goal he scored today was typical but would he even get in that position away from home?

1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Even away from home?  Someone that goes to most games home and away might have more insight than me, I'm just going off stats.  The goal he scored today was typical but would he even get in that position away from home?

Fantastic Lee today, but I agree with you Lee is better player at home, often goes missing away and even at home against a powerful midfield can go absent, one thing for sure is we are a better team with Williams in the starting 11.