Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton V Charlton

desperado

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Breightmet Boy said:

Like said earlier, it's funny how we see games differently because I thought Baka was very good yesterday, he was in good positions ready to score when the ball should of been passed to him instead of other players trying to beat the keeper at the front post.  He closed down well and got about the pitch, he was definitely a valued team member in this game, I like his work rate.

Too many of his one-touch passes went to Charlton or into a space which meant our players had to go running for the ball. Often he’s in a position and has time to take a touch, get his head up and make a pass yet he rarely does.

Yesterday seemed as though his inclusion in any string of passes resulted in the attack braking down.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm wondering what's changed though?  Since our form improved from Jan (Ipswich), we scored 44 if I've counted right, in 22 games: 43 by our players in open play plus an OG and 2 pens. 

6 were by defenders (4 from John); 8 by midfielders and 27 by "strikers", more than a goal a game:

Charles 8, Baka 7, JDB 7, Dapo 5.  Out of 22 games, there were only 5 games when no striker scored - amazing stat and I wouldn't expect it to continue at that rate.

But 7 games without a striker scoring for us is a bit odd.  I just wonder if our style has changed that much from a few months ago?

I know you don’t like using cup games…  

(but for Thomason using Tuesday as a platform to showcase himself, we probably wouldn’t have seen him start Saturday - but that’s another debate..)

Our strikers have scored 7. So I don’t think it’s as alarming or odd as you’re making out. We are just sharing the goals around in the league at the moment. It wouldn’t surprise me if that ratio shifts in the couple of months when Charles and Bod are fully fit and no doubt Dapo will get in on the act too.

I don’t really care to be honest as long as we are scoring and winning. I’d take Bradley as top scorer if we end up getting promotion! 

1 hour ago, desperado said:

I know you don’t like using cup games…  

(but for Thomason using Tuesday as a platform to showcase himself, we probably wouldn’t have seen him start Saturday - but that’s another debate..)

Our strikers have scored 7. So I don’t think it’s as alarming or odd as you’re making out. We are just sharing the goals around in the league at the moment. It wouldn’t surprise me if that ratio shifts in the couple of months when Charles and Bod are fully fit and no doubt Dapo will get in on the act too.

I don’t really care to be honest as long as we are scoring and winning. I’d take Bradley as top scorer if we end up getting promotion! 

I'd take OG as top scorer if we could score enough to finish in the top 2!  I was just responding to Tonge Moor Green Jacket suggesting our style of play doesn't create chances for strikers.  Just saying we created, and scored, loads last year so wondering what's changed.  Like you I'm happy for anyone to score so its not a criticism, just a comparison with last year.  Of course, it can all change very quickly, and probably will.

Its not that I don't count cup matches, more that I only count matches against opposition of at least the standard we'll meet in the league - so in fairness I'm happy to count the superb goal v Villa created for Charles.  The fact that strikers have scored 7 in cups and none in league only confirms it for me though, its the league I'd personally judge them on. 

• The topic was unpinned
  • Site Supporter
11 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'd take OG as top scorer if we could score enough to finish in the top 2!  I was just responding to Tonge Moor Green Jacket suggesting our style of play doesn't create chances for strikers.  Just saying we created, and scored, loads last year so wondering what's changed.  Like you I'm happy for anyone to score so its not a criticism, just a comparison with last year.  Of course, it can all change very quickly, and probably will.

Its not that I don't count cup matches, more that I only count matches against opposition of at least the standard we'll meet in the league - so in fairness I'm happy to count the superb goal v Villa created for Charles.  The fact that strikers have scored 7 in cups and none in league only confirms it for me though, its the league I'd personally judge them on. 

It's more subtle than that. I see it as we look to keep possession until we create a really clear chance. Rarely do we seem to put a cross in early for example to allow strikers to attack. 

Iredale did on Saturday and we scored, albeit from an overlapping wing back.

The second goal saw an opportunity for Jones to cross in for the strikers, but he looked and chose to hold for a moment and played it back across for the inrushing Bradley.

Clearly, nothing wrong if we score goals, it's just that sometimes I think you have to be a touch speculative, and play an early ball across for strikers to attack. If only to keep defenders guessing, especially if they get back in numbers quickly.

Iirc, those that watched the Plymouth game said we didn't create enough genuine chances for all the good work we did. Missing those that we did have on the way.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It's more subtle than that. I see it as we look to keep possession until we create a really clear chance. Rarely do we seem to put a cross in early for example to allow strikers to attack. 

The second goal saw an opportunity for Jones to cross in for the strikers, but he looked and chose to hold for a moment and played it back across for the inrushing Bradley.

Clearly, nothing wrong if we score goals, it's just that sometimes I think you have to be a touch speculative, and play an early ball across for strikers to attack. If only to keep defenders guessing, especially if they get back in numbers quickly.

Iirc, those that watched the Plymouth game said we didn't create enough genuine chances for all the good work we did. Missing those that we did have on the way.

Good post.  When you're a possession based side like us, hopeful punts into the mixer soon become a thing of the past.  The trouble is, as you say, if you never speculate, you can then start trying to walk it in or just not get a shot off.  Definitely a balance to be struck. 

3 hours ago, Ani said:

Worth seeing first goal from this angle , not sure if he does handle it !

Second goal as mentioned Baka makes a run that moves defenders across.

Third goal Santos 'leaves it' well. He will never score. 

one of these days he's gonna score the all important goal.   He's our last line of defence, it must be on his mind that if it breaks down he's got to sprint back very quickly.   Lot of pressure on that lad.

• Site Supporter

Going off this angle, Thomasson's goal should have stood. Doesn't look like it touched anyone after the cross, although there could have been a very slight flick on from Charlton's number 5. Was utterly convinced at the time that Charles had touched it.

Edited by Cheese

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Yes, a good post.  Agreed we don't often put in the speculative crosses, they are passes more often than not although that was probably the case last season with Fossey and John etc. I think it helps if you have players that will shoot from distance occasionally to mix it up, but it depends who's picked on the day as not everyone has that ability/ambition.  Sometimes that option can look greedy or wasteful, but every team relies on a few 20+ yarders a season, especially if like us you don't get many headers etc from set pieces.

49 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Going off this angle, Thomasson's goal should have stood. Doesn't look like it touched anyone after the cross, although there could have been a very slight flick on from Charlton's number 5. Was utterly convinced at the time that Charles had touched it.

I think it is Charles that flicks it on , he is hidden by the defender live I was 100% sure, am now maybe 98%. 

Edited by Ani

Even though I think Morley is our best all-round midfielder, I thought the Williams, Thomason, Lee combination was really effective.

The passing was quick and crisp in midfield, lots more one and two touch passing plays than I've seen us play with Morley in midfield. Whereas Aaron likes to hold the ball a bit longer and play a hollywood pass.

MJ gets a bit of stick for being less creative than others but thought he was really good on Saturday. 

Thomasson passes progressively bringing the wing backs in to play early and he almost forces them out 10-15 yards further up the pitch. That’s the thing that marks him out versus the others. 

the others like to string it across the midfield until it finally gets out wide. Thomasson will miss a man or 2. 

speeds our play up considerably  

2 hours ago, barrycowdrill said:

Thomasson passes progressively bringing the wing backs in to play early and he almost forces them out 10-15 yards further up the pitch. That’s the thing that marks him out versus the others. 

the others like to string it across the midfield until it finally gets out wide. Thomasson will miss a man or 2. 

speeds our play up considerably  

Good shout that . I also liked the way he sometimes ran from deep with the ball towards the edge of the area , very Mcateer' esque that 

21 hours ago, MickyD said:

Too many of his one-touch passes went to Charlton or into a space which meant our players had to go running for the ball. Often he’s in a position and has time to take a touch, get his head up and make a pass yet he rarely does.

Yesterday seemed as though his inclusion in any string of passes resulted in the attack braking down.

to be fair the team didn't pass when he was in ideal positions, he was frustrated within 15mins of the game.  His work in opening up tap ins for players was very good, that's why a left back and 2 midfielders were on the scoresheet

Thomason MILES offside 🤦‍♂️

VAR might be a bit of a joke and would've chalked of our first goal which was a handball. But fuck me the officiating in the EFL is a shambles.

We are only 7 games in and already had far too many mistakes go against us from 'Professionals' 

Also find it fitting that there is a 'short vision' sign right behind the linesman 

20220905_183233.jpg

Edited by Lostock Whites

3 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

Thomason MILES offside 🤦‍♂️

VAR might be a bit of a joke and would've chalked of our first goal which was a handball. But fuck me the officiating in the EFL is a shambles.

We are only 7 games in and already had far too many mistakes go against us from 'Professionals' 

20220905_183233.jpg

I think it's a question of whether or not it's flicked on by one of our players just after that.

On 04/09/2022 at 11:48, Smiley said:

What is Baka doing here? Can someone explain? How many Charlton defenders has he taken out with this move?

46B77CC2-53C3-4F57-84BA-6AC4E2AE7D4D.jpeg

It’s like he decided to run to the near post for a header…. The ball has come in along the ground behind him and he’s thought “fuck it, I’m still going to jump in the air for an imaginary ball”…. Either way, looks odd!!!

• Site Supporter
47 minutes ago, Smiley said:

It’s like he decided to run to the near post for a header…. The ball has come in along the ground behind him and he’s thought “fuck it, I’m still going to jump in the air for an imaginary ball”…. Either way, looks odd!!!

He jumped to get out of the way of Bradley's "shot".