Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton V Charlton


desperado
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, marple whites said:

Good performance.

traff made some vital saves.

baka only under par player.

Iredale, Bradley, Thomason had good games.

need to back up with another win next week tho.

Correct we need to kick on and get the 3 points at Cheltenham which I think we will

it then sets up for Peterborough who have lost 4 on the bounce in all competition

early days but Portsmouth & ipswich look good outfits hence the league table

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

 

It was definitely there!

A very strange carry on.

I left it all behind - the pink tutu, flippers and KY Jelly backpack are all in the back with my woggle buffing kit. Would have been excess baggage.

There's some simpletons about - not you Aldo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good win yesterday

Thomason passing was another level. 

Charlton looked liked a team who want to play football.

We looked like a team that can.

I can’t remember a game where I have seen so many outside of the foot passes by both team randomly. 
 

Onto the next one.

 

Edited by tomski
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had a good view of the disallowed goal. Charles definitely got his head to it and from his reaction, I think he thought it was going in anyway. Watching the clip above, it clearly wasn't 😀.

Good result that, played some great stuff at times, should've been more.

But Trafford did well to keep them down to one tbh.

Still think we give the ball away cheaply, a lot.

But that's a minor gripe, these lads are division 3 players, they'll cock up occasionally. 

COYWM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thomason had his best game for us but it also showed how much it improves the balance of the team to have a left footer in that midfield. I like Dempsey but the last few games he’s had that role and it stops us attacking down the the left because his automatic thought is to come inside onto his right foot - which puts too much emphasis on our right hand side. I don’t know how that changes, because I’m not sure Thomason (being the only left footed centre mid) now becomes undroppable but it definitely made a difference to the overall team.

Lee is our best midfielder, if he’s fit he plays. This thing about legs going, not playing away from home is lazy just based on his age - he’s shown nothing that backs that up and actually with having so long out with injuries earlier in his career means that he’s got less miles in his legs than others at his age.

MJ is back to his best, Santos looks to be playing his way back into form which is ideal, Charles has to start every week (the goals will come).

Johnston is a weird one - I think he flatters to deceive. He’s the weak link in the defence for me, it was his fault for the goal and he’s so indecisive that it affects the rest of the defence. I think Evatt has an eye on brining Iredale into that left centre back role but doesn’t seem to have much time for John anymore - hence going out and getting Beck. Fingers crossed he’s as good as Bradley because he’s too good for this league (and probably had one of his lesser games for us yesterday).

Much needed result and performance, add JDB into the team and hopefully start to see some goals from the strikers and I think we’ll do alright. Some more tough games coming up in September but as long as we stay in touch then I think we’ll kick on from October to Christmas with easier fixtures.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, tomski said:

Good win yesterday

Thomason passing was another level. 

Charlton looked liked a team who want to play football.

We looked like a team that can.

I can’t remember a game where I have seen so many outside of the foot passes by both team randomly. 
 

Onto the next one.

 

Not a patch on Sardinia vs Monza :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, crawshawbooth said:

enjoyed yesterdays match and officials even though they messed up one decision let the game flow instead of trying to influence the result

plus Charlton were up for a game and didnt spend ages messing about at every decision

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter

After Johnston's mistake early on, and a difficult first few minutes, I thought he came into the game and was excellent second half.

He had a quality player up against him, and every time and aerial challenge happened, the forward had a handful of his shirt. Bugs me how so few of them are ever given.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Thomason had his best game for us but it also showed how much it improves the balance of the team to have a left footer in that midfield. I like Dempsey but the last few games he’s had that role and it stops us attacking down the the left because his automatic thought is to come inside onto his right foot - which puts too much emphasis on our right hand side. I don’t know how that changes, because I’m not sure Thomason (being the only left footed centre mid) now becomes undroppable but it definitely made a difference to the overall team.

Lee is our best midfielder, if he’s fit he plays. This thing about legs going, not playing away from home is lazy just based on his age - he’s shown nothing that backs that up and actually with having so long out with injuries earlier in his career means that he’s got less miles in his legs than others at his age.

MJ is back to his best, Santos looks to be playing his way back into form which is ideal, Charles has to start every week (the goals will come).

Johnston is a weird one - I think he flatters to deceive. He’s the weak link in the defence for me, it was his fault for the goal and he’s so indecisive that it affects the rest of the defence. I think Evatt has an eye on brining Iredale into that left centre back role but doesn’t seem to have much time for John anymore - hence going out and getting Beck. Fingers crossed he’s as good as Bradley because he’s too good for this league (and probably had one of his lesser games for us yesterday).

Much needed result and performance, add JDB into the team and hopefully start to see some goals from the strikers and I think we’ll do alright. Some more tough games coming up in September but as long as we stay in touch then I think we’ll kick on from October to Christmas with easier fixtures.

Good post.

Pretty much agree with all of that.

All through the talk of Santos’ 2 mistakes, it was Johnston for me who worried and still worries me more.

Santos’ mistakes are rare and are lapses of concentration. Whereas Johnston struggles physically - getting beat in the air and turned easily against good right wingers.

He’s young and he’s learning to cope and handle this better, but it’s still happening 3/4 or more times a game.

He’s got lots of good qualities; comfortable on the ball, passing, blocking, he’s got the odd goal in him, he’s not slow, he’s young and still learning with lots of talent - so I’m not writing him off.

But like you Eddie, I think we’ll see Iredale in that position soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter

Funny how we all see things differently and admittedly while I didn't see yesterday, I rate Johnston even though he was at fault for the goal.

Hes making more better decisions than last season and few cock ups. He's only getting better with experience.

As long as we keep winning, everything else will take care of itself. Let's face it, at this level - nobody is undroppable

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

He's only getting better with experience.

As long as we keep winning, everything else will take care of itself. Let's face it, at this level - nobody is undroppable

Despite me pointing out my concerns, I also agree with that.

You could probably look at every defender in this league and find fault. 

If he’s learning, getting better while we win games, then I certainly won’t be disappointed to see him continue in the team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No surprise that when he have our best team performances in the big games at home that Lee is always mostly a huge part of the XI. We hunt in packs at our best when he's in there & although not the most consistent finisher he's always good to pop up for a goal due to his IQ of arriving in the area knowing where the ball will arrive... just a shame we couldn't have had him in the champ alongside Mavies instead of some of the wasters who lined up for us. Bradley scores with right hooks, assists with scuffed shots... what a player! Awesome at full/wing back but how effing good is he when he just marauds his way into midfield? bit of an understatement but he's bloody good at footy that lad wherever he fancies going to effect the game. Thomason not the first time he's been MOTM & played like a man possessed he certainly has it in him. Our bench was ridiculous yesterday, loved how Dempsey got stuck in when he came on the last 10 he must have won the ball high up the pitch at least 5 times to create numerous quick chances on the transition which we should have capitalised more on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Young Lego head had clearly bulked up a bit over summer a few times yesterday he was not pushed off the ball as he would have been last year, probably his best game for us.

On the first goal it is a pretty clear hand ball by CB but there also a foul by defender who kicks him, so if no goal could be a pen and a red card, good luck the officials seeing that. 
On the third goal watching the highlights I think free kick is taken marginally before whistle. But good to see us score off a set piece. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lee was immense yesterday don’t understand how anybody can criticise him.

Young Thompson had an excellent game as well , Dion must be a nightmare for defenders only change for me now would be Bod for Bako once he’s fit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

Lee was immense yesterday don’t understand how anybody can criticise him.

Young Thompson had an excellent game as well , Dion must be a nightmare for defenders only change for me now would be Bod for Bako once he’s fit.

Completely agree but with the way Morley and Dempsey played against Wycombe and in some of our other games that midfield is going to keep changing. Sheehan back soon - plus Evatt has said that Lee at 34 will need resting. There's clearly a "horses for courses" element to all this too - team selection based on opposition. 

George Thomason is only 21 and is progressing very nicely. It speaks volumes that he's not been loaned out and it was never even really suggested. If he keeps up this rate of progress he's going to some player in 12/18 months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like said earlier, it's funny how we see games differently because I thought Baka was very good yesterday, he was in good positions ready to score when the ball should of been passed to him instead of other players trying to beat the keeper at the front post.  He closed down well and got about the pitch, he was definitely a valued team member in this game, I like his work rate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was unpinned

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.