Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Turn back time

bolton_blondie

• Members

If you could turn back time and be able to change your life somehow,  would you? 

I definately know what I would change. But I wouldn't have my two ankle biters if I did that. 

I'd deffo not go down the career route I have as much as I love nursing its fucking soul destroying and my knees are knackered. 

I'd also would have gotten on the housing ladder as soon as I could. Be laughing my tits off now. 

Anyway it's that time of night where I over think. Please say others do this  😂

• Site Supporter

Said before, but, I had a chance go to Antarctica for 12 month contract for 50k when I was 22, ( 1992)thought of the cold, no beer clubs girls  or going to the match, as well as a massive dollop of bottling it about being away for so long meant I turned it down. 
life been good in the main really but always wonder where I’d be if I’d done that, certainly wouldn’t have been the same . 

I’ve often wondered if I hadn’t have gone to such a place and met  whoever, my life would have been different. The thing is, of course it would have been different.

Every single day, we do things that determines the rest of our lives. No point on dwelling on the past, we can all do something about the future though. 

• Site Supporter

When I was 16 I had an interview for the Merchant Navy. They told me my eyesight  was a bit of  a problem, and told me to wait here.

I waited about 15 minutes no one came back so I thought fuck 'em.

Since then I've been to most of Europe and Scandinavia selling paper (not papers) and now I'm a part time support worker back from retirement.

I must admit sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I'd just waited. Things would have been different, but maybe not better.

Went to a gig about 4 years ago, damaged my ears, didn't leave the house for about 3 months then redid it about 5 months later and couldn't go anywhere loud for about 6 months. Missed football season and loads of other stuff... I'd miss the gig or stand away from the speaker at least.

I’d change nowt tbh. My ankle biters are now 27 and 30. Went through hell for a few years when their mother filed for divorce but if I could go back in time and change it would I? No chance. Wouldn’t have the daughters that I have now if I hadn’t married their mum back in the day

Career wise. No regrets. Another of my mates had his retirement party yesterday at 58. Going to a reunion in October and I’m one of only a few still working. Fuck it. I actually enjoy working. May not have made the money that they have but I’ve far less problems than some of them. 

Just now, bolton_blondie said:

I just feel that i major fuck after major fuck up. Can't change the past but I can sure as hell change my future. It can only get better.... I hope. 

We all do.

Most of us lurch from one 'disaster' to another in our own minds, but often in the cold light of day, things aren't as bad as they seem.
You've a roof over a head, a job, two happy kids and a supportive family network, you'll be reet.

But if all gets too much, talk to someone xx

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

I just feel that i major fuck after major fuck up. Can't change the past but I can sure as hell change my future. It can only get better.... I hope. 

Loads of crazy shit going on in my life atm, and with me having previous MH problems, I've had to adopt a train of thought similar to Trafs above.. Roof over my head etc..

I'll do what ever work pays the bills. 

Speaking to a guy in his 60s the other day, no pension as he had to cash it to pay off debts, rented accommodation, and retirement looming.. Got about 28 years to avoid that scenario and i'll do all I can to do that..The fact i'm on my path to avoiding something like that does help massively. A lot of my MH issues come down to finances. 

• Site Supporter

Everyone is going through their own ups and downs too, that's life.

Social media can make other lives we know seem better but they are totally unrealistic.

Apart from the nobheads from school you only keep friends with on FB for entertainment value, most have the same dull lives as all of us, bringing up kids the best we can, or helping with grandkids etc.

Life is a moving wheel and it stops for no one.

So before you even know it, your life is already happening for you and moving onwards, same for everyone.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Winchester White said:

Everyone is going through their own ups and downs too, that's life.

Social media can make other lives we know seem better but they are totally unrealistic.

Apart from the nobheads from school you only keep friends with on FB for entertainment value, most have the same dull lives as all of us, bringing up kids the best we can, or helping with grandkids etc.

Life is a moving wheel and it stops for no one.

So before you even know it, your life is already happening for you and moving onwards, same for everyone.

I've done loads of jobs where people pose online and look like they habe their shit together.. house tidy looking great all the time, big home, all looking swish...  in reality it's very different, Facebook filters, tidy corners, and a cars on pcp, living on the breadline  

Loads of regrets, from.being a cocky young arsewipe that didn't study hard enough (or thought he didn't need to) to getting married to the wrong person (but got great kids) leads you to where you are but have to say I really didn't enjoy my 30s very much. Learning to let go of a lot of stuff helps and I've found as you get older that is easier.

Made some incredibly poor decisions in my early life that led to me having to work like a fucking coal miner on speed to make a decent life for my family.

... but if I didnt make those poor decsions and ditch my A levels two thirds in, I wouldnt have me my wife and currently have two wonderful boys and amazing memories.

Everything happenes for a reason, regret fuck all. It all makes sense in the end.

4 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Made some incredibly poor decisions in my early life that led to me having to work like a fucking coal miner on speed to make a decent life for my family.

... but if I didnt make those poor decsions and ditch my A levels two thirds in, I wouldnt have me my wife and currently have two wonderful boys and amazing memories.

Everything happenes for a reason, regret fuck all. It all makes sense in the end.

Fairly similar here. Not going into a trade after leaving school was the one I regret. Other than that. All good.

47 minutes ago, tomski said:

Fairly similar here. Not going into a trade after leaving school was the one I regret. Other than that. All good.

I reckon plenty of football managers regret not signing you up just after you left school

• Moderators

"don't waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes

you're behind…the race is long, and in the end, it's only with
yourself. 

what ever you do, don't
congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either – your
choices are half chance, so are everybody else's." 

9 hours ago, only1swanny said:

Loads of crazy shit going on in my life atm, and with me having previous MH problems, I've had to adopt a train of thought similar to Trafs above.. Roof over my head etc..

I'll do what ever work pays the bills. 

Speaking to a guy in his 60s the other day, no pension as he had to cash it to pay off debts, rented accommodation, and retirement looming.. Got about 28 years to avoid that scenario and i'll do all I can to do that..The fact i'm on my path to avoiding something like that does help massively. A lot of my MH issues come down to finances. 

I've no pension to speak of, it was cashed in a few years back.
Got an interest only mortgage, which requires settling up in the next 10 years, so I'm effectively renting at below market value.
Wife and I are both self employed and youngest in on the verge of costing us a fortune at Uni.

But I'm not concerned. In five years, they'll have graduated and hopefully be quite independent.
We'll sell the property at what feels the best time financially in the 5-10 year time-frame and the wife and I will live in our caravan near Carnforth for 10 months a year and spend the winter abroad, until we both retire overseas.

58 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I reckon plenty of football managers regret not signing you up just after you left school

Yeah. That’s their regrets though. I still believe I was right to hold out for Real Madrid and Barca. Door isn’t completely shut yet.