Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cheltenham (A)

burnden

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not today though.

Tomorrow represents football's first day to do likewise en masse.

7 football games cancelled today, looking at Cricket today similar numbers.

I’m in the camp of respects, grief, mourning and celebrations of her life being done through Sport not instead of. And I’m pro Queen/Monarchy.

Anyway cricket was rather more Rain than Reign stopped play for us today. 

• Site Supporter

Fair play to Trainline - they are refunding my Cheltenham train tickets.  An email to trainline customer service dealt with quickly and efficiently - get onto them if you haven’t done already 

5AE924EA-A96F-4F0C-A3A7-15BB088A5FF0.thumb.png.876c3767ed387177b0998dabfa967474.png

Edited by desperado

Ridiculous decision. If you want to mourn in solitude, I'm all for that. If you don't give a shiny shite about the royal family, I'm all for that too. Surely on something like this, it's the ultimate in personal preference of choosing how to "show respect", if you even want to at all. 

Imposing disruption to normality for hundreds of thousands of people, if not millions (even just based off MOTD viewing figures!), is nothing but pointless virtue signalling from the FA/EFL. Why not just have a minute's silence/applause before the game, whatever, and carry on? If you're too affected to go to the football, that's fine, don't go.

20 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’ve changed my mind on this non football malarkey, other sports are continuing and why shouldn't the football, play the games celebrate and acknowledge her life and get on with the games.

Having near enough every other sport continue really does show how misinformed this decision is. 

8 minutes ago, TM Trotter said:

Having near enough every other sport continue really does show how misinformed this decision is. 

Think that’s what’s swayed me… what’s the point of just knocking the football on the head, better way to celebrate her life was for the public to pay their respect at venues up and down the country… and why stop kids football on Sunday.. Barmy decision. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

9 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Think that’s what’s swayed me… what’s the point of just knocking the football on the head, better way to celebrate her life was for the public to pay their respect at venues up and down the country… and why stop kids football on Sunday.. Barmy decision. 

Stopping kids football is what has made me believe the FA have seen their arse early and assumed everyone else will stop. Lunacy.

1 hour ago, desperado said:

Fair play to Trainline - they are refunding my Cheltenham train tickets.  An email to trainline customer service dealt with quickly and efficiently - get onto them if you haven’t done already 

5AE924EA-A96F-4F0C-A3A7-15BB088A5FF0.thumb.png.876c3767ed387177b0998dabfa967474.png

Was that set trains or open returns ? Wouldn’t let me do my set trains, but one of the lads got refunds on his open tickets with a £10 charge

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, desperado said:

7 football games cancelled today, looking at Cricket today similar numbers.

I’m in the camp of respects, grief, mourning and celebrations of her life being done through Sport not instead of. And I’m pro Queen/Monarchy.

Anyway cricket was rather more Rain than Reign stopped play for us today. 

We will do the respects whenever we next play.

As for the numbers of games postpone, I don't think that's the right way of looking at it. Games across the country (women and men) were paused today.

I see weekend's football as a similar arrangement. 

For those who remember the postponement after Diana's passing, fans interviewed generally agreed with it. 

Certainly wouldn't go amiss for the efl etc to approach the train companies on behalf of fans for refunds.

17 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Cheers, I'll be back home by then.  They're at home Monday 19th v Malaga but ground is up north and I'm down South, not realistic for me for 8pm KO unfortunately.

Why not? We take two  coaches from the south every home game! i can sort that as well!

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

For those who remember the postponement after Diana's passing, fans interviewed generally agreed with it. 

As said though 

It was only one game 

And the death shocked the nation, it was a tragedy 

Was still Business as usual the next day  

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Games across the country (women and men) were paused today

And that was right. For football and Cricket. It was immediate, it’s on the day the Queens son eloquently took on the reign as King. And it will be the same when it’s her funeral.

I just don’t think football needed to do it over the weekend as well.

I still maintain that cricket have done this really well. 

All kinds of things in place tomorrow to ensure fans pay respect and the occasion is special. A tribute at 10.30, a rendition of God Save the King at 10.50, 2 mins silence, black armbands, and no doubt lots of special sports stories about the Queen in between. 

I don’t see why football couldn’t have gone down the same route.

But for the cricket tomorrow I’m not sure I would have partaken in celebrating the Queens life as much as I will do now - but I’ll be tuning in at 10.30 and watching throughout the day now I can’t go to Cheltenham. 

Yes football will pay its respects next week. But Football could have had an opportunity to do the same tomorrow - but instead a lot of fans will now tune out and block themselves away from the sadness and melancholy while enviously looking at how other sports are paying their respects. 

Edited by desperado

• Moderators
Just now, woolli said:

It will still be only one game! Its the QUEEN , not a queen wannabee!

One game as in, there was only one actual game being played that day which was cancelled 

So hardly as disruptive as 4 days of matches across all leagues

1 minute ago, Zico said:

One game as in, there was only one actual game being played that day which was cancelled 

So hardly as disruptive as 4 days of matches across all leagues

We will lose one game, tomorrow, everything else normal from Tuesday.

• Site Supporter
32 minutes ago, Zico said:

As said though 

It was only one game 

And the death shocked the nation, it was a tragedy 

Was still Business as usual the next day  

Death or the queen is by far a bigger event, hence the massive disruption to come over the next few days.

If everyone played on Saturday, it would only be one day. Can't postpone some from the weekend and not others.

It's either all play or none.

Can't really say I'm bothered either way- the authorities have made the decision and I can understand it. Not the end of the world.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, woolli said:

We will lose one game, tomorrow, everything else normal from Tuesday.

Yes, i know 

But pretty much everything else carries on as normal 

Folk will find something else to do 

If everything shut down it would make more sense  

I'm not even going to the match, I'm at a kids party at a farm 

I'd appreciate it if they were to shut as well, so I don't have to go 

But no, it's business as usual for everything but football and a women's boxing match 

4 minutes ago, Zico said:

Yes, i know 

But pretty much everything else carries on as normal 

Folk will find something else to do 

If everything shut down it would make more sense  

I'm not even going to the match, I'm at a kids party at a farm 

I'd appreciate it if they were to shut as well, so I don't have to go 

But no, it's business as usual for everything but football and a women's boxing match 

So you think it would make more sense shutting all bars, restaurants,, shops, outlets, garages, and every other business?

Really struggling to see your logic there?

35 minutes ago, woolli said:

So you think it would make more sense shutting all bars, restaurants,, shops, outlets, garages, and every other business?

Really struggling to see your logic there?

Or, to look at it from another angle, why do they get to stay open but football grounds don’t? Or, even more ridiculously, I know of at least one stadium that was to host football and another sport this weekend - the football game has been called off and the other sport (with three times the crowd) goes ahead!

Alongside those who have lost out on travel costs, I feel sorry for those on zero hours contracts who have lost out on a day’s work at such short notice.