Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cheltenham (A)

burnden

4 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

We were never going to keep up our scoring record of January to April, realistically, and we've tightened up so its accepted we'll be less attack minded.  6 clean sheets already and nearly another tonight, compared to 7 in the last 22 games last year.  But the difference in goals scored is stark.  Last 22 games 2021/22, we scored 2 per game (total 44, and 40 were from open play).  Only failed to score twice.  In the first 11 games we've scored 13, only 10 from open play, and 4 games already where we've drawn a blank.  And I don't recall many near misses, great keeper saves, disallowed goals or hitting woodwork.  Lots to work on.  Would it be ridiculous to try 4-4-2 occasionally with Dapo on the wing?

IE is rigid with his 3-5-2 so doubt he would change now but I do agree this system does not suit Dapo but IE is not going to change system for Dapo . 

47 minutes ago, Arrested development said:

Worst performance of the season by a country mile. Nobody comes out with any credit bar Trafford. He made an unbelievable save to keep it 0-0.

Too much hoofball second half. Giving the ball away. All three of the starting centre mids were a fucking embarrassment. 

They need to draw a line and move on quick because if they play like that against Forest Green they will get beat again. 

I can't comment as I wasn't there but the difference between that description of Williams and the one Phil Brown was waxing lyrical about couldn't be bigger!  It just shows we all see games differently.  The commentators were also saying Johnstone's defending was outstanding.

Same old, tight grounds, midweek, long throws - show no bottle or fight.

only player to take any credit was traff.

no shots on target, giving the ball away time after time, goofing long balls - no way we finish top 6 playing like that.

big teams find ways to win, or not lose those games - and we have a few of these tests this month.

56 minutes ago, woolli said:

So by that way of thinking we are going backwards, as im sure we won there last season!

Evatt will be the one that would of been warning them all week what to expect long throw direct team small pitch we have seen it before . he changed the team played 3 centre half’s and 2 full backs 
i know we won last season but it was evatt who said himself he as no problem going to places like MK and Sheffield and thinks the home form will look after itself he knows to improve burton , morecombe and these are our  Achilles heel 

Edited by Farnywhite

2 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

IE is rigid with his 3-5-2 so doubt he would change now but I do agree this system does not suit Dapo but IE is not going to change system for Dapo . 

TBH I wasn't just thinking of giving a Dapo a role that suits him, although that would be good, but to give a different shape, give the opposition something to think about and have round pegs in round holes a bit more, with or without Dapo.  Jones is a full back, Iredale is a full back.  It doesn't mean they can never go forward but essentially they are good defenders (more than John for eg), not attackers.  In contrast Bradley and Sadlier are attackers more than defenders.  Yes Bradley can play the wingback role, but he could also play as a winger, as could Sadlier or Dapo or even Kachunga.  Just occasionally, as a change of plan maybe.

No complaints, Cheltenham deserved it on the day.

Traf, MJ (defensively ) & the 3 centre backs were fine.........but Jones & Iredale  as wing backs were completely ineffective going forward or in retaining possession, the midfield 3 never had control of the ball  meaning the front 2 had no service except for long balls slogged in their general direction.........the most long ball stuff I think i've seen under Evatt.

A bit of a reality check that we may still struggle on tight grounds against physical, direct teams......I don't think we were bullied, we matched them physically but we seemed to get sucked into trying to play them at their game.

Thought it looked a very defensive line up, 7 of them limited in going forward. A little bit surprised we gave them that much respect. I can understand wanting extra height in the team, but felt we should have gone for it more tonight and give them something to think about I.e Dapo, John and possibly Sadlier could have started for me.

1 hour ago, Farnywhite said:

Like evatt said these sort of games will show how much we have improved from previous seasons can we go there and grind it out  Played a more defensive line up today and still got beat may be we don’t have the depth in squad and grit yet and the conditions and pitch were pretty good tonight 

Last 10 aways last season we got 20 points (helped by a few late goals it has to be said) but we rarely had to "grind it out", we just seemed better than most of those teams, playing our natural attacking game.  We've only played 5 so far too early to judge, but only 5 points is a concern.  Especially if its down to a conscious effort to be more "solid" at the expense of scoring potential.

1 hour ago, DazBob said:

... and Kachunga.

Kachunga's been on the pitch for about 90 mins in the last 2 games, and we've scored 1 in that time (a pen) and conceded 1.  When he's not played we've scored 1 and not conceded any.  Its not obviously going to make us more of a threat.

16 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Last 10 aways last season we got 20 points (helped by a few late goals it has to be said) but we rarely had to "grind it out", we just seemed better than most of those teams, playing our natural attacking game.  We've only played 5 so far too early to judge, but only 5 points is a concern.  Especially if its down to a conscious effort to be more "solid" at the expense of scoring potential.

Just listened to evatt interview called us

“soft and flacky  and a soft underbelly and looked like last season and thought we had moved away from that “ 

There was so much to complain about todays performance.

But fuck me, what happened to our players touch and passing?! I lost count of the amount of times in transition where our players took a heavy touch or misplaced a pass. Full credit to Cheltenham, they ran us down for the full 90 minutes. 

But the amount of times, Jones, Dempsey. Baka even Dapo losing the ball under his feet. They all looked like they'd been on 4 night bender since Saturday night.

Without being to dramatic, top 6 and some winnable games ahead. However we simply cannot perform like this again or we will get bullied at most away matches in this league 

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

This period of the season is historically when we are at our worst, we need to make sure we get through this next couple of months still close enough to challenge. 

We can’t afford a poor run in October / November we play forest green , Accrington , burton and fleetwood  . Hopefully tonight will be a wake up call 

3 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

M6 shut between 16 & 17

yep, nice little detour through Alsager & Sandbach to avoid the signposted diversion.

M6 shit full stop, some one playing silly buggers with the matrix, constant changes of speed limit despite motorway being empty.

1 hour ago, Traf said:

yep, nice little detour through Alsager & Sandbach to avoid the signposted diversion.

M6 shit full stop, some one playing silly buggers with the matrix, constant changes of speed limit despite motorway being empty.

tell me about it  im on my way to Spain Driving

them 60--50--60 was a Piss take all way down to brum 

M1 was the same   

money making  cause they where Flashing loads speeding past 

i was on there 3am empty 

1 hour ago, little whitt said:

tell me about it  im on my way to Spain Driving

them 60--50--60 was a Piss take all way down to brum 

M1 was the same   

money making  cause they where Flashing loads speeding past 

i was on there 3am empty 

Are you calling in for a brew?