Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cheltenham (A)


burnden

Recommended Posts

  • Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm not sure why there's talk of Bradley being rested, he rarely even gets subbed and appears to be in the "must pick" category for IE.  Saying that I thought Morley was till a month ago! 

But still I'd be amazed if Bradley (or Charles) doesn't start every league game he's available for.

It's more the fact he's been ill and travelled to Greece last week really. Still only a young lad coming to terms with the physicality of regular football.

I'm sure if Evatt thinks he needs a rest, he'll pull him out for a match or 2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, L/H White said:

Would really like to see Kachunga left out 

I know what you mean White but to be fair he’s been exceptional in the IE high press recently. I just wish he could finish instead of missing sitters as he regularly does but although he’s not my favourite player I’d stick with him for 60 minutes alongside Dion to wear teams down and hopefully get the lead. I think Dempsey will replace Lee but actually I can’t see any other changes being made tonight, probably more so Saturday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whilst I see what Evatt is saying about Kacha and what he gives the team it also makes us look impotent up top

totally got why he played him at MK dons. Many teams these days have players that aren’t glamorous on the eye and stats are poor but in the bigger picture of the team are massively valued. So would expect him to play many away games where we are a little bit more cautious and compact 

but I think starting him at home sends out the wrong message from the off and actually puts us a little more on the back foot. We should be getting after teams earlier on rather than trying to break them down late on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Whilst I see what Evatt is saying about Kacha and what he gives the team it also makes us look impotent up top

totally got why he played him at MK dons. Many teams these days have players that aren’t glamorous on the eye and stats are poor but in the bigger picture of the team are massively valued. So would expect him to play many away games where we are a little bit more cautious and compact 

but I think starting him at home sends out the wrong message from the off and actually puts us a little more on the back foot. We should be getting after teams earlier on rather than trying to break them down late on. 

Agree with that BC, Kacha’s far from my favourite but you can’t argue with his recent performances in Evatt’s system and where we are in the league. If we leave him out would it weaken the forward press because I’m not sure Bod, Dapo or Baka offer the same workrate. It’s a tough one but using him for the first hour then bringing on the likes of Dapo and Bod might be the best option? It seems to be working so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Agree with that BC, Kacha’s far from my favourite but you can’t argue with his recent performances in Evatt’s system and where we are in the league. If we leave him out would it weaken the forward press because I’m not sure Bod, Dapo or Baka offer the same workrate. It’s a tough one but using him for the first hour then bringing on the likes of Dapo and Bod might be the best option? It seems to be working so far.

Correct and that would probably be the approach away particularly in the tighter games

not sure it’s worth it at home. Almost putting pressure on ourselves from the off by admitting we’re taking something away going forward to help defensively. Pinching goals late on with subs to break the deadlock is a risky game 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Agree with that BC, Kacha’s far from my favourite but you can’t argue with his recent performances in Evatt’s system and where we are in the league. If we leave him out would it weaken the forward press because I’m not sure Bod, Dapo or Baka offer the same workrate. It’s a tough one but using him for the first hour then bringing on the likes of Dapo and Bod might be the best option? It seems to be working so far.

But arguably it was also working with JDB and Baka playing a lot more than they are now.  We've got 67 points this year, obviously 47 of them were in Jan to April so we must have been doing something right before Kacha was used up front.  Baka and JDB scored, I think, 14 goals just in Feb, March and April, they were a huge part of our success.  Goal potential wise, we aren't making up for those 2 not being in the team especially when you also consider Dapo playing less, and Sadlier (on top of Charles not firing yet, but that will change).  I would like to see more scoring potential on the pitch more often, and that's not to underestimate the value of the high press/running of Kacha (and the free kicks he seems to get!).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

But arguably it was also working with JDB and Baka playing a lot more than they are now.  We've got 67 points this year, obviously 47 of them were in Jan to April so we must have been doing something right before Kacha was used up front.  Baka and JDB scored, I think, 14 goals just in Feb, March and April, they were a huge part of our success.  Goal potential wise, we aren't making up for those 2 not being in the team especially when you also consider Dapo playing less, and Sadlier (on top of Charles not firing yet, but that will change).  I would like to see more scoring potential on the pitch more often, and that's not to underestimate the value of the high press/running of Kacha (and the free kicks he seems to get!).

Agree entirely. Cant fault Kachas work rate, but he cant hit a barn door. Not a Baka lover either, but he does score more goals than  Kacha. Its got to be Bod for me ,and, when you watch him, he also works his Knackers off. I do get the high pressing game, especially away, but at home, we have the players to be more of a goal threat, and surely Dapo must come into the mix as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

Question for people what is every bodies view on Kachunga in Lees role every now and again or is that too much for him ?

Unless we have a massive injury crisis, no chance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

Question for people what is every bodies view on Kachunga in Lees role every now and again or is that too much for him ?

Defo to much for him. He hasnt got the class, the nous, the instinct like Lee as. In front of Kach as got to be Dempsey or Sadlier. I also think we should be using Dapo more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So...

.                        Traff;

.        Aimson, Santos, Johnston;

     Jones, MJ, Thomason, Iredale;

.                      Dempsey;

              Charles, Bodvarsson.

?

 

Edited by Mantra
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Mantra said:

So...

.                        Traff;

.        Aimson, Santos, Johnston;

     Jones, MJ, Thomason, Iredale;

.                      Dempsey;

              Charles, Bodvarsson.

?

 

Looks good to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.