Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cheltenham (A)


burnden

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Traf said:

yep, nice little detour through Alsager & Sandbach to avoid the signposted diversion.

M6 shit full stop, some one playing silly buggers with the matrix, constant changes of speed limit despite motorway being empty.

We said this, getting into the M62 no better cones everywhere no fucker about

think our driver will be getting something in the post shortly 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, little whitt said:

tell me about it  im on my way to Spain Driving

them 60--50--60 was a Piss take all way down to brum 

M1 was the same   

money making  cause they where Flashing loads speeding past 

i was on there 3am empty 

Exactly this. Boils my piss. When you heading back from Spain I’m there 18th for a week… if your passing torrivieja give us a shout. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I can't comment as I wasn't there but the difference between that description of Williams and the one Phil Brown was waxing lyrical about couldn't be bigger!  It just shows we all see games differently.  The commentators were also saying Johnstone's defending was outstanding.

Nobody was outstanding on either team. It was a rubbish game. 

The centre Half's defended ok but in possession we were awful. Rico forcing that long diagonal too much. Aimson and Johnston giving the ball away constantly. Couldn't build anything from the back at all. 

I'm an MJ fan but he did nothing of note all game. None of the centre mids did apart from pass sideways. Dempsey and Thomasson were just as bad. In games like that were the opposition are pressing and really trying to stop us playing , one of them needs to step up and be proactive instead of all three playing safe and easy.

I don't get how anyone could watch that game and say any one of outfield players had a good game or were effective. 

The standards have been set now and that wasn't good enough. Thats the worst we've been with the ball under Evatt in league 1. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, tomski said:

No panic. We ended up with what we deserved. Move on to the next. We will lose more games like that this season.

Said this to mates getting giddy that we’ve beaten Top 8 (not counting Pompey last second equaliser).

After a month when top teams playing each other every weekend October is all about top half against the bottom 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

We said this, getting into the M62 no better cones everywhere no fucker about

think our driver will be getting something in the post shortly 

I never touched the 62, came off at A57, went through the Irlam by-pass to join the 60 at Eccles.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
46 minutes ago, gonzo said:

When was the last time Charles was actually put in clean on goal?

Feel sorry for the lad me, feeding off absolute scraps.

 

I do agree largely, though on Saturday he had a great opportunity but chose not to strike it first time with his left peg. Cutting back onto his right wasted the opportunity. 

Maybe a sign of confidence being a bit low.

I saw a league table based on xg (couple of weeks back) and we were second in that. Whilst I'm no great lover of such stats, it perhaps does show that we aren't capitalising on the chances we do create.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Rizlar said:

IE is rigid with his 3-5-2 so doubt he would change now but I do agree this system does not suit Dapo but IE is not going to change system for Dapo . 

Why not? IE must see what’s happening and I credit him with the nouse to change if somethings not working. Dapo’s our most dangerous player and I’m sure Evatt’s looking at ways he can get him more involved. Still in the top six despite last night so 3 points on Saturday will perk things up again. Keep the faith. 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Arrested development said:

Nobody was outstanding on either team. It was a rubbish game. 

The centre Half's defended ok but in possession we were awful. Rico forcing that long diagonal too much. Aimson and Johnston giving the ball away constantly. Couldn't build anything from the back at all. 

I'm an MJ fan but he did nothing of note all game. None of the centre mids did apart from pass sideways. Dempsey and Thomasson were just as bad. In games like that were the opposition are pressing and really trying to stop us playing , one of them needs to step up and be proactive instead of all three playing safe and easy.

I don't get how anyone could watch that game and say any one of outfield players had a good game or were effective. 

The standards have been set now and that wasn't good enough. Thats the worst we've been with the ball under Evatt in league 1. 

Thanks for the analysis, I believe you over Brownie who does sugar coat every game and makes it sound like Brazil v Spain.

If it was worse than Burton and Fleetwood away last season it must have been bad!

It sounds like the only outfield players to come out of it with their reputations enhanced are John, Bradley and Sheehan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
43 minutes ago, L/H White said:

I think we need to see more of Dapo & Sadlier personally

Dapo most goals & assists last season keeping the bench warm

Sadlier has 3 goals this season and doesnt get a sniff

Sadlier flatters to deceive.

He gives the ball away too easily and that’s why Evatt doesn’t trust him.

Sure, he’s one of the most technically gifted players in the squad but I think that he’ll be away in January, either on loan or permanent.

Agree with the Dapo comment, though. Yes, he’s frustrating sometimes but he still adds goals and assists more than other options.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gonzo said:

When was the last time Charles was actually put in clean on goal?

Feel sorry for the lad me, feeding off absolute scraps.

 

I don't think many are criticising him generally, the issue is more about how we aren't creating many chances.  Yes half chances that are blocked or just wide, but not many that are asking to be buried.  On top of that we seem to have given more minutes this season to players that don't have a track record of goals or assists eg Iredale instead of John; Thomasson instead of Morley;  Kachunga instead of Baka or JDB; not much of Dapo or Sadlier.  We've seen much less of most goalscorers/creators from 2nd half of last season apart from Charles and Lee and not replaced them.  Surprise surprise we are scoring/creating less, but look more solid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I do agree largely, though on Saturday he had a great opportunity but chose not to strike it first time with his left peg. Cutting back onto his right wasted the opportunity. 

Maybe a sign of confidence being a bit low.

I saw a league table based on xg (couple of weeks back) and we were second in that. Whilst I'm no great lover of such stats, it perhaps does show that we aren't capitalising on the chances we do create.

I think another factor is just the ability to score when it isn't really a chance - Dapo's long rangers, Morley at Gillingham, maybe a 20 yard free kick like the Sheehan one, a Sadlier long ranger; I don't see that ability in Tomo, Willliams, Dempsey and yes they have other qualities, but at some point someone has to have the ability to pull the trigger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
11 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I think another factor is just the ability to score when it isn't really a chance - Dapo's long rangers, Morley at Gillingham, maybe a 20 yard free kick like the Sheehan one, a Sadlier long ranger; I don't see that ability in Tomo, Willliams, Dempsey and yes they have other qualities, but at some point someone has to have the ability to pull the trigger.

Morley had a shot on goal last night that would've put Thomason's on Saturday to shame.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For a few weeks now I've been trying to place which team from the past I'm reminded of when I see us play. It's taken so long because I've been thinking about club football and when I eventually realised who I was searching for in my mind's eye it turned out to be an international side! 

Anybody remember Spain before they started winning trophies? They dominated possession, looked great, comfortably won more games than they lost for sure. Yet they just didn't create/take as many chances as you might expect with such levels of possession.  They were also a bit vulnerable to getting hassled out of their stride.

None of this is as acute as last season but it still seems to be a trait. Evatt is aware of it, and clearly intends tackling it. I suppose that's exactly how Spain evolved in to being the power they eventually became. As IE keeps saying "There's much more to come".

Ironically the pre-trophies Spain was the one that contained our one season legend Fernando Hierro! 

Edited by paulhanley
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.