Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Crewe (Pizza Cup)

L/H White

11 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Big game this. Stop the mini rot, rest some legs then come back and twat Charlton.

Reckon last tues took a lot out of a few yesterday.

I'm struggling with that.  It wont even register with me, if we lose 5-0 or win 5-0, as long as we don't get any injuries or maybe a sending off.  The only first team game this week is Charlton, now that's a big game.

Just now, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm struggling with that.  It wont even register with me, if we lose 5-0 or win 5-0, as long as we don't get any injuries or maybe a sending off.  The only first team game this week is Charlton, now that's a big game.

Tuesday is a big game for those playing who haven't had as much first team action as they'd like.
Also massive for Isgrove/Sheehan.

I disagree with the often trotted-out line that xyz players have got better in fans' eyes by not playing. We've tried to replace Isgrove & Sheehan whilst injured and the jury is still largely undecided. Isgrove was a big player for us pre-injury and Sheehan did enough to force himself into the Welsh team, a team that is going to the World Cup.

23 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

We need to realise the kind of level we're at. We aren't winning the big two cups nor are we likely to be promoted. We should prioritise this imo, something I wouldn't have said a few years ago.

8 minutes ago, tomski said:

It’s shite and I’d rather go out but agree with Gonzo that we need to use this as a platform for Sat. Hopefully bag a lot of goals and confidence builds

Yes, to an extent.
But it would only improve the confidence of those playing and I'd like to see a team comprised mainly of those who haven't featured much so far. 

Its only my take on it, and I respect all the opinions about these games.  Mine is that if we have a comfortable win like we did against Salford, with goals from 3 different strikers, 2 great strikes from Bradley and Sadlier and Aimson playing well, it will have next to no influence on the line up or performance v Charlton.  Only that game matters for me..

Good luck to Sheehan and Isgrove, that's a different topic.  It could go well for them and we lose 3-0, hopefully they come through well and stay fit.  

14 minutes ago, W.cramp said:

Are we allowed to play the b team or majority of the b team or does the daft rule still exist where x number have to been included in the last matchday squad ?

Don't know exact rules on eligibility for who counts as a "first teamer", but yes that rule still exists.  You have to have so many players that have x number of appearances under their belts, or that played in the previous first team game.  Sheehan and Isgrove will count as first teamers, Toal will be one of the "reserves" allowed.

5 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Don't know exact rules on eligibility for who counts as a "first teamer", but yes that rule still exists.  You have to have so many players that have x number of appearances under their belts, or that played in the previous first team game.  Sheehan and Isgrove will count as first teamers, Toal will be one of the "reserves" allowed.

That’s become a little easier now that you can have up to five subs. Not that we actually used all five yesterday. 

Evatt was talking about having a run and wanting to win this competition last season I'd be interested to see what he says this time.

I don't want to progress, but then I don't want to see us get beat by the likes of Tranmere or Leeds' kids, either.

• The topic was pinned