Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Peterborough (H)

Marc505

Peterbro teamtalk.   Get stuck into these lot from the off they will crumble and fold(shows s.weds game)  we stood up and gave it right back to em.   2nd half there was only one team in it, tremendous performance.

A tad different than the mkdons game .

Oh and thomason was excellent again (horwich wont be happy)

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, W.cramp said:

Peterbro teamtalk.   Get stuck into these lot from the off they will crumble and fold(shows s.weds game)  we stood up and gave it right back to em.   2nd half there was only one team in it, tremendous performance.

A tad different than the mkdons game .

Oh and thomason was excellent again (horwich wont be happy)

Exactly how I saw it. Don't get me wrong, if we'd have finished nil apiece I'd be miserable as fuck, but we more than deserved that fluke at the end. Thomasson is going to be a proper good player.

Thought Santos was much more to the front as a captain today, vocal and directing folk.

Also I know folk have their own reasons for leaving early but it does mean you miss how players and staff react at the final whistle. Santos had each of em in and they were all pumped to fuck and that can only be a massive thing going forwards.

He's still a questionable defender who relies on his arms too much but for the time being and it this level it seems to be fine.

Valuable win.

Great result. Started the day off by catching the wrong train at Bolton. Meant to catch the 1.50 to Horwich and got on a late arriving train that that didn’t stop at Horwich and ended up in Preston. School boy error 🤷‍♂️ Preston to Horwich arrived at 2.50. Just got in for the minutes silence.

85 min, had to go for a leak. Missed the goal. Still a great day though. Peterborough deserved nowt and got nowt.

Ha ha ha, fuck off Peterboro, the first time i've seen a team waste time in the 1st minute & funny thing was that at times they looked like they could be a decent side but their shithousery distracted them more than us.

Very good from all of ours again, we've toughened up from last season, matched them physically & really should have won by more. Very enjoyable.

EIEIEIO

i  enjoyed that. it was great to watch a proper battle fair play to evatt and co for instilling in the team the ability and belief that they can dig in and get results against teams like peteborough. 

Amazing how many whites fans are appearing everywhere now. we went for a pint after game in aspull usually me and a mate and perhaps a couple others turn up.

A coiuple of families turned up kids in colours faces beaming with joy at the performace.

The phoenix is rising. build it jerry and they wl come.

coyfwm

• Site Supporter

Evatt makes mistakes, usually when he opens his gob, but by fuck he’s a quick learner.

Last season, we lose that game and probably only have 10 men on the pitch at the end.

But he’s gradually teaching this squad more than just kicking a ball about. Peterborough came to disrupt and aggravate, and they did it well. But we went toe to toe with the cunts and did them.

A special mention for MJ, he doesn’t half put a shift in and he really got under their skin.

Wins like that are the ones we could look back on and say “yeah, that’s why we got promoted”

I thought dapo was shite when he came on and gave the ball away too easily too often, but then popped up with the fluke goal.

Didn't look like we would find a way through.

Their 9 enjoyed a good battle with Rico and unlike the rest of them didn't seem to moan at every decision. Proper league 1 journeyman striker moved clubs 10/11 times and still only 28.

5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Unfortunate maybe that the Pompey game has gone.

In form and a win against one of the top teams could really boost confidence (should be high anyway) and hammer home belief in their abilities. 

In the meantime, just keep picking up the three points.

Said this today

We would’ve had a good 1k traveling down and bang in form 

We've played 3 similar styles teams in a row (charlton, MK, Peterborough) all with intent of pressing us and we have pretty much outplayed all 3. 2 of those games without conceding a shot on target

What I've noticed too, is in these games the opposition look completely knackered after 70 minutes, where we get a lot of chances and should arguably be punishing these teams

I think we've gone to another level from last year and only lost our 2 difficult games against Plymouth and Sheff Weds due to poor finishing and terrible mistakes.

We are controlling almost every game, my biggest take is we need to be more ruthless up top

I was as impressed with us today as I have been with any win (after a dodgy first 20 minutes that we got away with).  Last 70 minutes I thought we were superb, combining great battling with some outstanding passing at pace.  Williams, Thomasson had a bit of everything in their game (apart from shooting obviously!), Jones was immense, I always think he'll get outpaced or be found wanting at times, but he comes out on top 9 times out of 10 and his passing was back to his best today.  Santos just outstanding.  Charles took half an hour to get into the game but really came to life and must be a nightmare to play against (a goal wouldn't go amiss though).  Bradley is at times just different class, sometimes I think his main strength of doing things really quickly is also his downfall, occasionally too rushed and lacking a bit of composure, as maybe shown by his miss.  Overall, they were good but we were better, and its not often we've been able to say that.  A tremendous, fully deserved win.

14 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

I thought dapo was shite when he came on and gave the ball away too easily too often, but then popped up with the fluke goal.

Didn't look like we would find a way through.

Their 9 enjoyed a good battle with Rico and unlike the rest of them didn't seem to moan at every decision. Proper league 1 journeyman striker moved clubs 10/11 times and still only 28.

Yes, surprised to see he's played for Bury and Oldham, 8 years ago.  I'm not sure what the definition of "journeyman" is but his record is outstanding in the last 3 years.  72 goals in 133 games, and some of them that I've seen on TV were absolute class.  Scored 20+ in the Championship for struggling teams.  If he played for us he'd get a bagful this season, and he wouldn't have to come up against Santos again!

5 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

We've played 3 similar styles teams in a row (charlton, MK, Peterborough) all with intent of pressing us and we have pretty much outplayed all 3. 2 of those games without conceding a shot on target

What I've noticed too, is in these games the opposition look completely knackered after 70 minutes, where we get a lot of chances and should arguably be punishing these teams

I think we've gone to another level from last year and only lost our 2 difficult games against Plymouth and Sheff Weds due to poor finishing and terrible mistakes.

We are controlling almost every game, my biggest take is we need to be more ruthless up top

Agree with all this except I didn't think Peterborough were similar to Charlton or MK. Seemed more physical and direct than the other two.

All teams press to an extent now but I thought they were actually quite happy to let us have the ball when building from the back. Johnston had so much time on the ball every time it was rolled out. Not sure if that was a tactical thing from Evatt, as he man-marked Clarke-Harris with Santos. Maybe he thought Johnston would be the better option today to be our ball playing defender while Santos had his hands full. Didn't see Santos ping it once today.

Maybe we are just getting better at beating the press but didn't seem like they had any specific trigger. They were trying to force us into 50-50s as a gameplan but ended up chasing shadows mostly, however it was effective in a way, as it made it difficult for us to find a passing rhythm. But we still had some really nice moves and also some really good battling in midfield to win those 50-50s, when last season anytime the game went scrappy, we seemed to fall to pieces.

34 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Bold statement alert.... 

Feels like a promotion season this already.

That hard fought win today and the lap of honour at the end. 

Come back in May. Visionary. 

We are going to take some stopping!! The team ethos is excellent, the number of midfielders of a high quality allowing a seamless rotation, 5 very different strikers, a settled back 5, a manager full of passion, pride and ability. One concern for me is MJ, we can’t replace him and he’s absolutely fucking fantastic at what he does. 

Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

We are going to take some stopping!! The team ethos is excellent, the number of midfielders of a high quality allowing a seamless rotation, 5 very different strikers, a settled back 5, a manager full of passion, pride and ability. One concern for me is MJ, we can’t replace him and he’s absolutely fucking fantastic at what he does. 

We're a couple of key injuries from being potentially derailed but it's looking promising. 

He can pick any front 3 from the 6 and have it completely change the game with a couple of subs on 60 mins...I don't think I've known a time like it.