Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Portsmouth (A)

Cheese

Of the 3 we've brought in up top don't think we've seen any of them at their best yet. 

Adeboyojo the best of the lot just needs time to gel 

Jerome - good impact sub don't think he's under any impressions he's owt more but will add value to the younger squad in training 

Nlundulu - not convinced yet but he's hardly had any minutes and when he has its against Portsmouth! 🤣 

Wouldn't mind Bodvarsson getting back to fitness to add some depth into the mix 

2 minutes ago, Horwich said:

The squad js better now, than it was at the start of the season.

We are still going in the right direction.

Better than start of the season doesn't mean its as good as mid January. 

I still think Evatts changes are the right things to progress us but injuries and 'big names' leaving us it's understandable people are flapping when the new guys aren't scoring like Haaland already. 

Just felt like we've had too many games like today this season, wouldn't feel right to me going up, but it's football and play offs, anything could happen.

We are never consistent enough for top 2, top 6 has been the priority all season. With teams around us with 3/4 games in hand, and Morecambe (A), Ipswich (H) Sheff Weds (A) we will have a better picture.

But the team needs a big kick up the arse, last 3 league games v Wycombe, Port Vale and Pompey have been shite

I think we've missed Johnston more than we thought we might.

Jones & Mbete both looked dodgy at LCB and Toal was switched there tonight and looked as uncomfortable there as he has been in any game since joining. 

With John back in the team or Williams as wing backs, we'd be a lot stronger with either Johnston or Iredale playing as LCB.

6 hours ago, Traf said:

I think we've missed Johnston more than we thought we might.

Jones & Mbete both looked dodgy at LCB and Toal was switched there tonight and looked as uncomfortable there as he has been in any game since joining. 

With John back in the team or Williams as wing backs, we'd be a lot stronger with either Johnston or Iredale playing as LCB.

Agreed

1 minute ago, Marc505 said:

Nlundulu took some abuse last night for being ex Southampton, he actually looked quite emotional when his family and little kids came to him at the bottom of the away end after full time.

He got some pelters playing for Cheltenham too according to the lispy nob on comms.

Bunch of weirdos. Mind you remember our lot booing Clayton Blackmore :D

4 minutes ago, gonzo said:

He got some pelters playing for Cheltenham too according to the lispy nob on comms.

Bunch of weirdos. Mind you remember our lot booing Clayton Blackmore :D

Aye this bloke in front of me (who was so tall I couldn't see past all night) seemed to want to tell me once every 12 seconds or so after he came on about how he got the same abuse playing for Cheltenham. They had an actual song for him as well but couldn't tell what they were saying.

Thought we looked tired last night, weary and going through the motions. Been a lot of games in short space of time, hopefully the less crowded March will let us reset a bit, re-engage with our families and gear up for April. (I mean that about the fans, let alone the players 😃)

• Site Supporter

For those looking up the table rather than down that was a really disappointing defeat last night, felt for those who travelled.

After Charles’ goal, I really thought this could be a really valuable, classic away win to keep this great run going and if Dempsey puts that one in then it was game over.

Can’t disagree with the majority of the negative analysis, especially LCB - we need a left footer there, when’s Johnstone back? 

Credit to Portsmouth, they played well last night and on reflection of the 90 mins were the better team - it’s another poor ground for us down there.

I know top 2 is extremely unlikely, but win on Saturday then I’ll be looking straight away at Plymouth, Ipswich, Derby & Barnsley’s results, not Wycombe and Peterborough etc. 

Maybe it’s just me, with an optimistic outlook, but the motivation for these away games is to push for promotion, that’s what gets the juices flowing. I’m not there disappointing myself that Bradley won’t be there next season, so what are we going to do when we don’t get promotion as we are going to have an issue at right back. 

14 minutes ago, desperado said:

For those looking up the table rather than down that was a really disappointing defeat last night, felt for those who travelled.

After Charles’ goal, I really thought this could be a really valuable, classic away win to keep this great run going and if Dempsey puts that one in then it was game over.

Can’t disagree with the majority of the negative analysis, especially LCB - we need a left footer there, when’s Johnstone back? 

Credit to Portsmouth, they played well last night and on reflection of the 90 mins were the better team - it’s another poor ground for us down there.

I know top 2 is extremely unlikely, but win on Saturday then I’ll be looking straight away at Plymouth, Ipswich, Derby & Barnsley’s results, not Wycombe and Peterborough etc. 

Maybe it’s just me, with an optimistic outlook, but the motivation for these away games is to push for promotion, that’s what gets the juices flowing. I’m not there disappointing myself that Bradley won’t be there next season, so what are we going to do when we don’t get promotion as we are going to have an issue at right back. 

Jones can play right back, Bradley looked knackered last night he’s probably the one who’ll benefit with march being relatively low key. 

Santos and Trafford looking nervous, from the off. Trafford's kicking was terrible. Santos's early booking didn't help. But generally no one in the team looked comfortable on the ball. Still not getting Shoretire, works hard, but offers little. Doesn't look ready to me. When Lee gets booked for two silly fouls, you know we were'nt right on the night. On to Morecambe, must win.

Edited by waffer cup 07

Not a great performance and probably feels more disappointing after taking the lead and then conceding 3 off set pieces in a 15 minute period late on, does leave you feeling a little deflated.

16 games in a 2 month period is some schedule though and I think the last week or so it seems to have caught up with a few of the lads. Hopefully only 3 games next month and no midweek games or long away trips could be a huge boost in getting players recovering and ready for the run in.

March is a huge month however in our season. Especially as a lot of the games in hand teams below us have will be played.

Still more than hopeful of a top 6 finish.

18 minutes ago, Traf said:

So, after a bad day at the office we're now not making the top 2 and won't even make the play-offs?

Wow, that was a bad day.

We are making the play offs but no chance we will make it up. 

Just now, Traf said:

I know that, but some of the comments knocking about are unreal.

I wonder what will happen if we do stay down though. Another season of this will be shit. Players picked off. Hopefully we have folk bought in fully to the project 

1 hour ago, waffer cup 07 said:

Santos and Trafford looking nervous, from the off. Trafford's kicking was terrible. Santos's early booking didn't help. But generally no one in the team looked comfortable on the ball. Still not getting Shoretire, works hard, but offers little. Doesn't look ready to me. When Lee gets booked for two silly fouls, you know we were'nt right on the night. On to Morecambe, must win.

I don't think the way we have played the last 2 games suite shoretire or any number 10. We've been poor in possession, barely having more than 50% in our last 2 matches.

Pompey and Port Vale have pressed us and instead of us being brave we are going long to Charles and Shoretire, both 5ft 9 trying to win aerial duels against 6ft 6 defenders, we lose the duels and midfield are slow to the 2nd balls, they get possession and put pressure on us.

This has happened quite a number of times when we've struggled. There's no midfield interchange of play and the midfield movement has to be much better to receive the ball.

That or we play a big striker and feed off him but that's not our philosophy.

We simply have to be better at what we are trying to do. Play from the back but with movement, 1 touch, being brave and lots of movement in midfield. We haven't done any of that recently.