Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

MK Dons Away

jeep

• Moderators
1 minute ago, radcliffe white said:

We could’ve really turned the screw on MK by making changes earlier hence my thinking the likes of Morley & Dempsey will feature Saturday

Where is JDB up to? Much better performance by kachunga but he’s not the answer unfortunately 

Back in full training this week

Kachunga is just the closest replacement for Bod to link up with Charles is he not?

Dapo doesnt seem to like being in behind, hes greedy and slows the attack. Baka has been tried there and obvs Evatt thinks its works better with Kachunga as he's got a bit more about him.

I work with stats all the time, but you can overcomplicate things.

We're over a sixth into the season, we've only lost 2 of 8 (you could argue we beat ourselves, but other teams will have hard luck stories too), we're on 1.75pts per game and we're in the play-off spots.

They're the most important stats, we just need to replicate. A top-6 finish this season will be an excellent achievement and that opening day point at Ipswich is looking like a good one.

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Top 4 all play each other at the weekend, good opportunity to close the gap.

And with us Vs Peterborough that makes it 6 out of the top 7 playing each other.

Not that we need any more incentives, but it would be a big 3 points cementing our status as a promotion contender. 

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Traf said:

I work with stats all the time, but you can overcomplicate things.

We're over a sixth into the season, we've only lost 2 of 8 (you could argue we beat ourselves, but other teams will have hard luck stories too), we're on 1.75pts per game and we're in the play-off spots.

They're the most important stats, we just need to replicate. A top-6 finish this season will be an excellent achievement and that opening day point at Ipswich is looking like a good one.

1.75 ppg. The problem with that is it wouldn’t have got us a top 6 last season.

19 minutes ago, Horwich said:

No, but last season was a historical high.

It would leave us fairly comfortably in the play-offs in any of the five seasons previous to that.

In those seasons the sixth-placed club finished with the following number of points:

16/17 - 73

17/18 - 71

18/19 -73

19/20 - 60 (average of 1.71 over the course of a full season)

20/21 - 74

20/22 - 83

23 minutes ago, Horwich said:

No, it would have got you 7th meaning you're almost there, but enough for a top 6 finish in the previous 7 seasons.

So 1.75ppg gets a top 6 finish in 87.5% of the last eight seasons.
Stats can be used to prove/disprove most arguments as you know. 

1 minute ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

No, but last season was a historical high.

It would leave us fairly comfortably in the play-offs in any of the five seasons previous to that.

In those seasons the sixth-placed club finished with the following number of points:

16/17 - 73

17/18 - 71

18/19 -73

19/20 - 60 (average of 1.71 over the course of a full season)

20/21 - 74

20/22 - 83

He knows this. It's called recency bias and a tendency to be contrary.

Like many have said,  we wont get an easier game all season even against them u21's teams.     Dont think we played great, ruthless in their box we definately weren't, Charles being the main culprit , couple of chances he should have buried and he misplaced approx 6 passes.    I know it will come for him but I sense something just doesn't look right,  probably a confidence thing.

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Traf said:

No, it would have got you 7th meaning you're almost there, but enough for a top 6 finish in the previous 7 seasons.

So 1.75ppg gets a top 6 finish in 87.5% of the last eight seasons.
Stats can be used to prove/disprove most arguments as you know. 

Our lot will be wearing their Evatt out t-shirts if we don’t get min play offs this season.

16 minutes ago, Horwich said:

Our lot will be wearing their Evatt out t-shirts if we don’t get min play offs this season.

Sadly, some will, you're right.

I hope I'd be more pragmatic and assess the season on how much of a go at it we made. I actually thought the league looked tough before the start and wasn't anywhere near as confident as some others that the top 6 was on.

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Traf said:

Sadly, some will, you're right.

I hope I'd be more pragmatic and assess the season on how much of a go at it we made. I actually thought the league looked tough before the start and wasn't anywhere near as confident as some others that the top 6 was on.

Agree, Its a tough old league to get out of IMO. As long as we keep improving, we will do ok.

I agree with others on how much better our pressing is.

The last 2 games have been quite similar, charlton and MK have averaged some of the highest possession this season so far and we have pressed them all over the pitch and dominated.

Even Ipswich away, we weren't giving them a centimeter all over the pitch in the 1st half, until their corner knocked it out of us.

I can see definite improvements from last season, beat Peterborough and could be 4th Saturday afternoon, which is great after such a tough set of fixtures

Won’t be calling for the guys head

however if we don’t make a good attempt for the play offs it will very disappointing from my point

Still early days but so far I’m only seeing ipswich setting the pace, too many folk creaming over sheff weds when we played them individual errors cost us, yes they will be up with us come may but nothing yet has come close to Rotherham & Wigan of last season 

28 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

I agree with others on how much better our pressing is.

The last 2 games have been quite similar, charlton and MK have averaged some of the highest possession this season so far and we have pressed them all over the pitch and dominated.

Even Ipswich away, we weren't giving them a centimeter all over the pitch in the 1st half, until their corner knocked it out of us.

I can see definite improvements from last season, beat Peterborough and could be 4th Saturday afternoon, which is great after such a tough set of fixtures

Pressing definitely upped from half time last night, at times in the first half I felt like we actually couldn't believe how shite Mk dons were.