Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Egg Chasing World Cup

L/H White

11 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The your point, but if we look at football even the biggest can struggle. Even Rangers went to the wall.

I know 

But if you're making point belittling a sport and it's lack of organisation, don't do it when one of the biggest teams in your sport is going to the wall 

7 hours ago, Sweep said:

We were offered 4 "premium seats" free of charge for the semi final at The Emirates Stadium last night. Its on Saturday 12th November, so they're certainly dragging this tournament out. 

I'd have gone, but my other mates said they'd rather not, so we turned them down. 

The bloke offering this tickets said he's been trying to get rid of them all week and is struggling a bit. 

I'm not sure why they think having a semi final in London is a good idea, surely having it in somewhere like Wigan, Widnes or Hull would be better would it not? 

Historically the big games in London tend to do very well. Internationals even more so. Would have gone myself but will be at Cambridge away. 

14 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The your point, but if we look at football even the biggest can struggle. Even Rangers went to the wall.

And I know there's a difference between RL and RU fans 

Generally RU fans don't give a fuck about club rugby, but will turn out en masse for country

RL fans, generally don't give a fuck about country and turn out for their club 

Maybe Bolty can sort it all by telling us which RU club he regularly attended on these shores

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Historically the big games in London tend to do very well. Internationals even more so. Would have gone myself but will be at Cambridge away. 

Are you still talking about League? 

22 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I don’t recall there ever being an appetite for RL darn scarf unless it’s two northern teams contesting a final.

Internationals do very well down there and apparently a significant number are usually south east addresses.

Last RLWC over here had 67,000 for the semi at Wembley

West Ham had 45,000 for England v NZ tour game in 2015 and 35,000 v Australia 12 months later (the drop off being a more awkward kick off time and the fact the Olympic Stadium is shite)

Even Wigan randomly taking a game to Millwall in 2015 got just over 8,000 

• Members
14 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

Wasps and Worcester are hardly a great image for RU if it's supposedly so popular 

Who mentioned RU? I'll leave it at I hope England win it - especially if it stops Australia doing so.

If I'm honest, I have equal interest in the women's RU World Cup. I hope England win that too and will enjoy seeing them demolish Australia next weekend as I will our RL lads if it comes to pass. Probably the only two games I will make an effort to watch and maybe the finals if England are in either/both.

• Members
8 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

I know 

But if you're making point belittling a sport and it's lack of organisation, don't do it when one of the biggest teams in your sport is going to the wall 

Biggest teams in my sport? I think you need to do a little revision matey.

Maybe I have missed a big Association Football team going to the wall?

• Members
8 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

And I know there's a difference between RL and RU fans 

Generally RU fans don't give a fuck about club rugby, but will turn out en masse for country

RL fans, generally don't give a fuck about country and turn out for their club 

Maybe Bolty can sort it all by telling us which RU club he regularly attended on these shores

WTF? Too busy with real football, gridiron, horse racing etc. when I was there. 

You can argue all you want. If it had great appeal it would have spread further than three English counties, two Australian states/territories (out of eight) and small existences in France, PNG and a couple of other token presences.

Enjoy it pal - I wish them nothing but success. People vote with their feet (and wallets) and the evidence is plain for all to see unless of course they prefer not to.

Edited by bolty58

4 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

3 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Not bad… but they should sell out with the amount of RL fans in the northwest, perhaps pricing was to high with it being on TV. 

Less than 5,000 empty seats. Any reduction in prices over 15% reduces ticket revenue.

It's a fine line between selling seats and generating money.

2 hours ago, Traf said:

Less than 5,000 empty seats. Any reduction in prices over 15% reduces ticket revenue.

It's a fine line between selling seats and generating money.

Thats very true, no point buyin gback your own seats. But I heard that the organisers were saying that they couldn't have reduced prices as it would be unfair on those who bought the tickets at the old price two years ago.

Bollocks, you can do below the line/special discount sales and push them out through various channels.

17 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Thats very true, no point buyin gback your own seats. But I heard that the organisers were saying that they couldn't have reduced prices as it would be unfair on those who bought the tickets at the old price two years ago.

Bollocks, you can do below the line/special discount sales and push them out through various channels.

That's one of the justifications offered but, although I don't think it's been acknowledged directly, I think there's been some suggestion they incurred additional costs in postponing the tournament from 2021 and are reluctant to lower prices for that reason.

21 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Thats very true, no point buyin gback your own seats.

This is something I struggle with when people don't get it.

25,000 x £20 = 20,000 x £25

Nobody's not going for the sake of a fiver.
That's why these no-mark 5k capacity grounds in L1 charge us £28 a throw, because nobody's saying I'd have gone to Forest Green (as an example) if it was £5 cheaper.

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Traf said:

That's why these no-mark 5k capacity grounds in L1 charge us £28 a throw, because nobody's saying I'd have gone to Forest Green (as an example) if it was £5 cheaper.

Take your point here, but how many unsold seats cost £25?

I would hazard a guess that the majority of unsold ones were £50 and £75.

Make them 30 and 40 quid, and who knows how the maths plays out.

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Make them £30 or £40 quid, and you can easily work out how the maths plays out surely.......

19 minutes ago, Traf said:

Yes quite - and then you set against activity - digital, out of home etc no point spending on it if it's not increasing sales by at least 20% more than the activity costs.

And it's also the value people place on things as you say. The easiest example is that people always say put student tickets on sale for £10, price isn't the reason students don't book for certain things as they will buy Glastonbury tickets or sopend £100-odd quid on a pair of jeans, because its the value they place on them.

Same with tickets - the value people place on them is elastic, and away fans are very, very loyal and therefore you can price higher knowing they will get bought.

Finally, just on TMGJ point - the most difficult seats to sell in any place is the middle bands. There will be those with less money or not as much interest who will snap up a bargain, then there are those hard core or more affluent who will always buy the top price (top price usually sell first due to super fans/or money not being an issue and normally you see how it goes and then release more at the top price if there is the market)

Its the middle bracket that is always atheslog and gives the softest opening sales, it where people charged will selling an event earn their money - not the best view, not the worst, not really cheap to be a bargain, it won't put anyone out of pocket - you are targeting the more casual purchaser, and that where most of the BTL offers get targeted it via digital. More posters don't get them in, and to do it you need them to be targeted with the right message to build the datapot and then re-target them like a motherfucker to get conversions.

4 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I don't know if any seats were £25, it was an example.

What I do know is that the ground was 85% full.
Do you think that a 15% reduction in ticket prices would have been enough to fill the ground?
Would a £75 ticket get sold if it was £64? I'd wager anyone willing to pay £64 would pay £75.