Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Accrington (A)

Biggish Dave

3 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

12th Oct 1992, Chester away. 2-0 down at half time and fans around us saying Rioch was the wrong manager and should go. It was the 12th match of the season and we’d only won 3. Reeves and McGinlay scored to even things up. We then went on to win 9 in the next 12. 

Went with Greavo and others that day. We finished 2nd.

Its a marathon not a sprint.

We only drew at Chester though? Two weeks later PNE away, 2 down at H-T again, playing terrible, on that awful plastic pitch I think.  Green and Stubbs 2nd half, 2-2.  3 days later Andy Walker scored his first goal at Exeter and the rest is history. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Arrested development said:

Not a set of bollocks between them

That’s why you shouldn’t post negative shit during a game. I nearly called you a ****. But I’ll refrain and  I’ll pass it off as you being a passionate watch at home “fan” who is just letting off steam.

Loving it today! Great journey with a few beers on the way here. In a great Accy pub now watching the football and Rugby. Just what away days are all about! 👏👏

1 minute ago, frank_spencer said:

There's a difference between being pissed off with our recent run in the league and wanting the manager booted.

I don’t think many have said they want him booted though. I think that’s more people wanting to get excited saying “I’ve never doubted him”

it’s be shite. He’s addressed it at half time and it wasn’t shite. Hopefully he realises he needs to push our best players into their best positions. 

1 minute ago, Big E said:

I don’t think many have said they want him booted though. I think that’s more people wanting to get excited saying “I’ve never doubted him”

it’s be shite. He’s addressed it at half time and it wasn’t shite. Hopefully he realises he needs to push our best players into their best positions. 

This

8 minutes ago, Big E said:

Well said.

It was a weird team selection in the first place although our left side has been pretty impotent all season , John & the lad from Liverpool are obviously not up to it in Evatt ‘s eyes but playing Dapo as wing back was a gamble too far .

Iredale doesn’t look like a wingback either to me but is probably a competent left back /centre back.

We have the players to do much better , particularly if we stop fannying around & get the ball quickly to the likes of Katchunga & Charles .

Dapo scored fourteen goals last season , he has to be part of the set-up not keeping the bench warm.

Great win today , Burton next .We might need to be patient on Tuesday .Evatt’s team selection will be interesting he might even pick the team that finished today.

• Site Supporter
36 minutes ago, Big E said:

You can’t be shocked people would be annoyed after 3 defeats and a 0-0 draw at home. Luckily we won today 

Luck or good management?

Personally, I’m just happy we won.

If we were bottom and had fuck all going for us Id get on his back

But we’re not there.

Bad performance but a win is a win. That was an enjoyable end. 

A win against burton (another bogey team) season is well and truly back on course.

Accrington are a poor team like many in this division and we can’t line up with 3 at the back in my opinion. 

Both their goals were shocking and despite defending well this year with the 3 cbs I’m not sure it’s merited.

Evatt please accommodate Dapo, he’s our best player.

• Site Supporter
30 minutes ago, Spider said:

Luck or good management?

But we’re not there.

Not sure why league position is the key factor there. If a team is simply playing poorly after doing so well initially, then folk will express their dissatisfaction. 

The starting line up was confusing too.

However, I must give Evatt huge congratulations for changing it. A difficult call, and I suspect their were plenty of criticism at Williams going off. A gutsy decision that could have backfired, but was justified. 

It's not about any one individual, but again Thomason contributing positively, and Dapo showing his best in his favoured position. 

53 minutes ago, Spider said:

Luck or good management?

But we’re not there.

It’s good management if he learns from it and plays the best side we have. 

I’ve doubted Dapo but the proof is there today. He needs to play 

• Moderators

So with beck and John seemingly dropped, iredale on the bench and Dapo at lwb it looked like IE was getting desperate to make wing backs work 

It didn't, but the changes did 

Be interesting now to see if he goes back to the 4-2-3-1 that has worked well in the past 

Great again that we've got a bench that can make such am impact

Great comeback on a terrace as well