Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Accrington (A)

Biggish Dave

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Ani said:

My mate said in car coming back regarding Dapo, 'you should play your best player in his best position'

simple game really 

Aye 

Even Pep used to get it wrong like when he played Fernandino in defence  

The evidence for a change was there for all to see yesterday 

Tuesday will be interesting 

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Anybody see that knobhead yoof Accy fan after the game on Livingston Rd, he ran up behind a Bolton fan & whacked him from behind then ran off, he got caught by some Whites fans and was very severely dealt with.

Saw someone being pinned to a wall by a few coppers 

Bit further up and some accy lad gives it the big one before getting chased off, he then runs behind the cops and continues giving the big one 

Then some odd looking lad stumbles after him, guessing he was the one who was dealt with, as he looked like he'd been dealt with 

10 minutes ago, Zico said:

Some timing to be filming that.

Absolutely gutted to have missed yesterday (little one arriving last Monday puts me out of action for a while) - it feels like one of those that will be talked about for years to come, a proper away day!

Watching the highlights back, I’d almost forgotten just how unplayable Dapo is when he’s on that left wing and has confidence. He’s our outball, he’s our best player, he’s our match winner and he draws so many of the opposition that I think he’d really benefit the striker(s) and help their current form. I really don’t know what Evatt does now but I struggle to see how you can watch that second half and not start the team sheet for Tuesday with “Dapo left wing - now what’s the rest of the team”.

Edited by Eddie

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Some timing to be filming that.

Absolutely gutted to have missed yesterday (little one arriving last Monday puts me out of action for a while) - it feels like one of those that will be talked about for years to come, a proper away day!

Watching the highlights back, I’d almost forgotten just how unplayable Dapo is when he’s on that left wing and has confidence. He’s our outball, he’s our best player, he’s our match winner and he draws so many of the opposition that I think he’d really benefit the striker(s) and help their current form. I really don’t know what Evatt does now but I struggle to see how you can watch that second half and not start the team sheet for Tuesday with “Dapo left wing - now what’s the rest of the team”.

My worry is that he'll continue to chop and change. Dapo might have an off game and he'll then not start him for two. he has to be in there week in week out and the team needs some consistency. Yes, we're sixth but some of Evatt's decisions have been baffling lately and we're way off the top. 

Sometimes it's easy to forget that Evatt is still a relatively young manager with a lot of learning to do. I still trust he's the right man to take us up. 

Edited by London Wanderer

PART 2 .

Fantastic atmosphere euphoria at the final whistle. 

That 7 mins of extra time was unbelievable,  thought Accrington were going to profit from their  time wasting earlier.

Good to see our kid ( Crawshaw Booth ) celebrating.  Bet a few beers went down in THE Tap later.

Came out the ground,  massive over kill of Rossendales Police force .

They were a bit slow off the mark when a Bolton Youth cracked a gobby Accrington fan . He got off on toes and looked as if he got away.

Down hill to the Castle for an excellent pint from Bowland Brewery . Bumped into 4 LFC fans ( not happy bunnies,  Klopp out !!).

Back to Warners , still no ale on . Bat not happy he had left a new  jacket and his  bins there before the match. Nope no one had seen them.

Sputnik was awol in the Crown and it turns out Ashburner Street had binned the match off altogether and headed back to Blackburn. 

Made my excuses and headed for 18.12 to Blackburn, at the station there was an extra train on , jumped on arrived Blackburn 18.05 . Next train was 18.48, so headed to Spoons . To bump into Jeep and his sidekick Rob. Turns out the General hadn't turned up today . So they were planning a visit to the Achari . Accepted the invite.  Finally headed back to the station at 20.12 . Where Sputnik,  Pinocheo's Dad,  Mr Smith and the Bat were snuggled up in the waiting room.

Back to Bolton and the Sweet Green. It's a disgrace whats happened to what was once one of Boltons finest pubs .

Sat down for Boltons finest curry at 22.00hrs .

Demolished mine, Jeep arranged a doggy back for himself 

Taxi home , arrived 23.30.

Why can't all away days be like this.

Ps . Look at the bloody weather today. !!

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, W.cramp said:

If we were to go 4-3-3 then who would be the middle 3 ?    A tricky one,  for me it has to have Bradley in there 

The right side of the pitch becomes a real conundrum if we go 4-3-3, because, as you say, there’s no natural position for Bradley, who has to start.

The comeback was good. They showed some fight and showed some spirit and it's a win we needed badly after the recent run.

But we can't ignore the fact we were dogshit for 60 minutes and should of been 3 down if it wasn't for a clearance off the line from Rico. 

I'm not sure going 433 is the answer. Part of the reason we have conceded the least goals in the division is the fact we have so much possession. Would we be able to keep the ball aswell playing 4 at the back ?

It's great for Dapo and going forward but how do you fit in Jones and Bradley?

56 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Other than Mansfield in the promotion season,it was Northampton last game of 89/90

So Evatt has managed it twice in 2 years or so and no other manager did it since Allardyce (fair to treat 0-2 and 1-3 the same).  Now, if we could just come back from 1 down occasionally 😁

13 minutes ago, Arrested development said:

The comeback was good. They showed some fight and showed some spirit and it's a win we needed badly after the recent run.

But we can't ignore the fact we were dogshit for 60 minutes and should of been 3 down if it wasn't for a clearance off the line from Rico. 

I'm not sure going 433 is the answer. Part of the reason we have conceded the least goals in the division is the fact we have so much possession. Would we be able to keep the ball aswell playing 4 at the back ?

It's great for Dapo and going forward but how do you fit in Jones and Bradley?

We don't.

One of them (probably Jones) drops out.

Great to see Lee score a trade mark tap in, we don't have another midfielder that gets into those positions regularly. 

The only other goal he's scored away for us, at Charlton, was also the last time Dapo scored away (cutting in from the left wing and hitting a low shot into the corner surprisingly).

Edited by Johnnyrotten

27 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

We don't.

One of them (probably Jones) drops out.

See I’d say that Bradley sits out for a bit if we went 4 at the back. Jones offers more defensively from what I’ve seen, which becomes more of a priority with 1 less defender, and Jones has earned the right over the past few seasons to be our starter in the that position (plus he’s our player). 

If we were to switch formation for Burton then I’d personally go

Traf

Jones Santos Johnston Iredale

MJ Dempsey

Kachunga Lee Dapo

Charles

Even saying that though - I thought MJ was awful yesterday and Thomason was very good, so an argument to make that swap, although I still think that MJ has to start despite a poor game. I still think Morley has to be in there, but don’t see that he has a chance with those ahead of him at the moment, and Sadlier could easily be in the 3 behind Charles but I think Kachunga did enough yesterday to show he has to start (and Lee is too good to drop as long as he’s 100% so soon after Saturday).

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I really don’t know what Evatt does now but I struggle to see how you can watch that second half and not start the team sheet for Tuesday with “Dapo left wing - now what’s the rest of the team”.

he's played Dapo in 3 positions in the last 2 games

started behind the front two against Barnsley - no goals

started at LWB v Accrington - concede 2 goals

put him on the left up top - score 3 goals including one for him

I dunno

but if he doesn't start there Tuesday at home against a team in the bottom 4, I'll be baffled

I'm not really arsed where Bradley or others fit in to accomodate Dapo on the left

but that has to be the starting point

1 hour ago, desperado said:

The right side of the pitch becomes a real conundrum if we go 4-3-3, because, as you say, there’s no natural position for Bradley, who has to start.

Does he, though?

I think he has struggled of late and if we're picking players based on form, he doesn't get in right now. Useful sub with his pace, though.

1 hour ago, embankment said:

PART 2 .

That 7 mins of extra time was unbelievable,  thought Accrington were going to profit from their  time wasting earlier.

Good to see our kid ( Crawshaw Booth ) celebrating.  Bet a few beers went down in THE Tap later.

They were a bit slow off the mark when a Bolton Youth cracked a gobby Accrington fan . He got off on toes and looked as if he got away.

Down hill to the Castle for an excellent pint from Bowland Brewery . Bumped into 4 LFC fans ( not happy bunnies,  Klopp out !!).

Back to Warners , still no ale on . Bat not happy he had left a new  jacket and his  bins there before the match. Nope no one had seen them.

Sputnik was awol in the Crown and it turns out Ashburner Street had binned the match off altogether and headed back to Blackburn. 

Made my excuses and headed for 18.12 to Blackburn, at the station there was an extra train on , jumped on arrived Blackburn 18.05 . Next train was 18.48, so headed to Spoons . To bump into Jeep and his sidekick Rob. Turns out the General hadn't turned up today . So they were planning a visit to the Achari . Accepted the invite.  Finally headed back to the station at 20.12 . Where Sputnik,  Pinocheo's Dad,  Mr Smith and the Bat were snuggled up in the waiting room.

Back to Bolton and the Sweet Green. It's a disgrace whats happened to what was once one of Boltons finest pubs .

Doggy bag has just been devoured.....

Top day out, 15.5 hours out the house, about 12 pints supped, a Coffee with Baileys to accompany breakfast....

1 hour ago, embankment said:

PART 2 .

Sweet Green just an absolute joke now, awful.

Made me really want an Acharis this though 😃 And we'd have been totally drenched had we played any day but yesterday, it all just came together perfectly