Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Aldershot 1987 BN article

Johnnyrotten

I don't want to rake over the pain of that day, its had a lot of previous mentions on here, but does anyone recognise anyone in this picture of the post match demo?

The woman in the centre of the picture was a familiar face home and away in that era.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/23031874.bolton-wanderers-fan-chronicles-75-years-terraces-part-20-aldershot/

3 minutes ago, gonzo said:

What was the gate for that Aldershot match?

And what was it like away?

Bit too early for me. A fixture thats always intrigued me but never hear much about.

It was about 7,000 - much higher than the average for that season. Absolutely chucked it down all day - one of those games where the crowd was huddled beneath the stand roofs. Pitch was a mudbath. It was played on a Sunday with an early afternoon kick off if I remember right. The away game was the previous Thursday night. Dave Felgate quite badly injured his leg but played on despite limping and hobbling around. Had to have his goalkicks taken for him. Then it all went sour at full time with the protests. Nightmarish day but the way the season had gone, entirely predictable.

When we got promoted back out of Div 4 Aldershot were still in Div 3 in 88/89. Early in the season we whacked them 0-3 at theirs and then did the double with a 1-0 home win. That was the week after Hillsborough and there was an immaculately observed minute's silence beforehand.

14 minutes ago, gonzo said:

What was the gate for that Aldershot match?

And what was it like away?

Bit too early for me. A fixture thats always intrigued me but never hear much about.

I didn’t do the away leg, strange because I didn’t miss many back then, just check 4100 for the away leg. The home game we never got going, remember standing on the car park after the game, the general feeling was of disbelief the crowd just stood and looked up at the directors suite, a genuine feeling of helplessness and anger. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

10 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

It was about 7,000 - much higher than the average for that season. Absolutely chucked it down all day - one of those games where the crowd was huddled beneath the stand roofs. Pitch was a mudbath. It was played on a Sunday with an early afternoon kick off if I remember right. The away game was the previous Thursday night. Dave Felgate quite badly injured his leg but played on despite limping and hobbling around. Had to have his goalkicks taken for him. Then it all went sour at full time with the protests. Nightmarish day but the way the season had gone, entirely predictable.

When we got promoted back out of Div 4 Aldershot were still in Div 3 in 88/89. Early in the season we whacked them 0-3 at theirs and then did the double with a 1-0 home win. That was the week after Hillsborough and there was an immaculately observed minute's silence beforehand.

Cheers Paul. Bit before me as well. First went the season after. 

35 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

In the article it says the gate was 7,495.  Bizarrely, considering it was the worst day in our history upto that point, I had big match excitement for the game because of the novelty of the play offs (high placed team in 4th div v 4th bottom of 3rd div in those days) and the fact that the crowd was going to be much higher than normal.  There was a good atmosphere especially with us scoring a couple of 2nd half goals.  But extra time was a slow painful death and the sight of Felgate hobbling around as we slipped into Div 4 was a sorry one.  Warbys out was chanted by those remaining in Manny Road terrace, just a sad day in our history

As a side note, very few blamed the manager (in this case Phil Neal) in those days compared to the chairman and directors.  The 1st team squad was about 14 players, there wasn't the weekly debate about who should play.  You had your 12 regulars, they played and you relied on them to play well.  Neal didn't get sacked following relegation and 4 years earlier John McGovern didn't get sacked when we went down to Div 3.  If it was now we'd all be saying he played the wrong strikers/formation/wing back.  No such thing then, if the team was crap it was generally the owners and director's fault for not running the club right.

35 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Jane. Used to go with Derek who stewardes coaches.

Derek I believe died. No idea what ever happened to Jane.

Never my cup of tie but no malice in either of them

Yeah that figures, I recognise her probably because I did aways on the TC a lot. Oddly I remember her voice vividly. 

22 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I don't want to rake over the pain of that day, its had a lot of previous mentions on here, but does anyone recognise anyone in this picture of the post match demo?

The woman in the centre of the picture was a familiar face home and away in that era.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/23031874.bolton-wanderers-fan-chronicles-75-years-terraces-part-20-aldershot/

And in the comments section (I know!)...

These journals a fantastic but I must comment the previous owners where Bolton thru and thru like the fans and I would say up to the stewardship of Gordon hargreaves when Eddie davis took over I think Eddie davis biggest mistake was to use Bolton wanderers as a washing machine for his money to clean up some of his money through his investment company in the caman islands then unfortunately this has left s Tain on the club then the take over by Ken Anderson was a terrible Acquisition when Trevor birch on behalf of Eddie davis boxed that deal off for dean Holdsworth only to have his best friend Ken Anderson to be involved when at the same time an avid Bolton fan / Warrington businessman tried for a second time to buy the club with the backing of a multi billionaire danish banker from Zurich Then the third bad acquisition was when fvwl used Andy Gartside to cut a behind the scenes a deal to place them into pole position and the davis family to instruct the administrator they put into place to then work with the idea of fvwl who could not complete the deal in May 2019 but when pushed under the bus she turned to her employer nick mason from pink floyd to find investment and he and his colleague keith Morris did just that but fvwl was first fronted by a reported Stockport businessman by the name of Basman who was fronting it on behalf of his partner Sharon britan So the plot thickened and went thicker when The deal was completed and it was found out that they didnt own Bolton wanderers football club as a corporate entity but Bolton wanderers football Athletic company which had a debt tag of 30 million and Bolton wanderers football club was only a trading division of that company which had a name change so fvwl could re register bwfa as a company to be left dormant that still does not constitute that someone else owns the trading incorporated company Bolton wanderers football club watch this space very closely as underground whispers say the owner has 150 million waiting to put a demand on whats rightfully his

On 08/10/2022 at 12:39, Johnnyrotten said:

Balaclava man has got a big nose.

On 09/10/2022 at 12:03, SatanGreavsie said:

I remember that away team coach windscreen getting clodded in and the driver treated by medics.

Yep. Then we had a sit down protest on the Manny Road car park. Fat lot that did. The Warburtons and other board members stood at the windows with their glasses of brandy and Chardonnay looking down on the meek and the mild. Someone lobbed a brick up at the window, but 99% certain it missed. Trudged home with a dark depressing sky above my head, said bye to my mates as we got near my house, went up into my bedroom, shut the door and cried.

19 minutes ago, Smiley said:

Yep. Then we had a sit down protest on the Manny Road car park. Fat lot that did. The Warburtons and other board members stood at the windows with their glasses of brandy and Chardonnay looking down on the meek and the mild. Someone lobbed a brick up at the window, but 99% certain it missed. Trudged home with a dark depressing sky above my head, said bye to my mates as we got near my house, went up into my bedroom, shut the door and cried.

my thoughts were the window got smashed 

56 minutes ago, Smiley said:

Thing is that Burnley had just survived automatic relegation from the League by the skin of their teeth. Because it was a new concept, the assumption was that relegation to "non league" was a death knell. Wasn't that when Torquay survived because of extra time allowed by the fact a police dog had bitten a player, and so Lincoln went down? But then rather than anything terrible, they came straight back up? But I remember walking away up Manny Road  thinking "that could be us this time next year"....

29 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Thing is that Burnley had just survived automatic relegation from the League by the skin of their teeth. Because it was a new concept, the assumption was that relegation to "non league" was a death knell. Wasn't that when Torquay survived because of extra time allowed by the fact a police dog had bitten a player, and so Lincoln went down? But then rather than anything terrible, they came straight back up? But I remember walking away up Manny Road  thinking "that could be us this time next year"....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-47405949

As gutted as I was about relegation to Div 4, it never entered my mind that we'd be in danger of relegation out of the league.  Once the disappointment had worn off I was quite excited about the thought of a promotion campaign (although most of it turned out to be terrible, not unlike our recent season at the same level, but with crowds).

In hindsight the worst thing about that year was the Co-op brick wall replacing the embankment.

• Site Supporter
28 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I’d much rather see us promoted to Prem again than EFL 1.

I hear you. The Crawley promotion was more relief at getting away from some of these shitty teams who should never darken our door again other than in cup ties.

Promotion to the prem or even the championship is a different feeling. More smugness that we are back where we belong