Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Leeds Kids (Pizza Cup)

L/H White

How was this competition viewed by fans back in the day when it was Sherpa Vans/Freight Rover? Was it seen as mickey mouse back then or something try and have a decent crack at and get to Wembley?

The addition of PL U-21 teams has completely destroyed it for me it's a disgrace and totally disrespectful to make fully fledged league clubs play against the rich men's children, and I'm still not convinced it isn't the first step towards having them in the league.

But. If they weren't in it, and they made it a straight knockout tournament rather than a group stage again I think it could have still been something to get into.

41 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

How was this competition viewed by fans back in the day when it was Sherpa Vans/Freight Rover? Was it seen as mickey mouse back then or something try and have a decent crack at and get to Wembley?

The addition of PL U-21 teams has completely destroyed it for me it's a disgrace and totally disrespectful to make fully fledged league clubs play against the rich men's children, and I'm still not convinced it isn't the first step towards having them in the league.

But. If they weren't in it, and they made it a straight knockout tournament rather than a group stage again I think it could have still been something to get into.

At the time I viewed the Sherpa/Freight days as my only chance of ever seeing us a Wembley.

But you're right, the U21 sides and the regulations telling the manager what team he can or can't pick has made it fucking pointless.

Until Wembley.

48 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Agreed, if it was straight knockout and no U21s it would be less mickey mouse than it is.  Although in the 80s there were also groups, but just 3 teams; never a meaningless game, effectively the 2nd game was a knockout.

It was viewed positively in the 80s, partly because of the novelty of having a chance to get to Wembley, these were largely the days pre-play offs when Wembley, for league clubs, was for the FA Cup and League Cup finals only.  It was beyond our wildest dreams to get there, so we lapped it up, crowds were bigger for the later stages of the competition than for many league games.  And the final was in May, it had an end of season celebratory feel in warm weather and nobody was thinking "I hope we don't get an injury, we've got a 6 pointer at Portsmouth next week".  It was right for the time, now it feels like an unnecessary distraction made worse by the U21s farce.