Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Leeds Kids (Pizza Cup)

L/H White

• Site Supporter

Good 2nd half that.

When we beat Crewe in the first game we went on a really good run, goals, good performances and players with increased confidence can’t be ignored, despite some writing these games off as having any bearing.

Some very good performances out there tonight. Iredale’s versatility is a big plus, all our midfielders look like they have something to offer. Isgrove looked lively. Forwards scoring goals and the subs ensuring we comfortably saw the game out.

Let’s use this as a platform, like we did last time, starting with a win on Saturday 👏

4 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

Put Sadlier up top..

Job done..

Has Declan John been with the bosses missus or something.. Contender for player of the season last year and now struggling to get a full game

Contender for POTS is stretching it a bit

Pretty sure DJ was starting the first few games this season, then Iredale came in and did well and kept his spot.

Edited by Mantra

15 minutes ago, auckland_bwfc said:

Good turn out by Leeds fans, thought it'd be friends n family only..... apparently 800 people with nowt better do on a Tuesday neet 

Bloke from Norway on the train up, come over for a fortnight to watch 4 Leeds games. 

Had LUFC tattooed on his hand

Referred to United as "the scum"

Swore a lot

Fair enough 

8 hours ago, mickbrown said:

At the time I viewed the Sherpa/Freight days as my only chance of ever seeing us a Wembley.

But you're right, the U21 sides and the regulations telling the manager what team he can or can't pick has made it fucking pointless.

Until Wembley.

At first I think the assumption was that the PL U21 teams were going to be a class above and we'd end up with all PL first every year but thankfully not so far. Think there's been only one all PL game at all since the "revamp" Arsenal U21 v Chelsea U21 at Emirates with about 6k on.

It's a failed experiment and a ruined competition. Wonder how many we'd take with a 40k allocation for a Wembley final in this

8 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Agreed, if it was straight knockout and no U21s it would be less mickey mouse than it is.  Although in the 80s there were also groups, but just 3 teams; never a meaningless game, effectively the 2nd game was a knockout.

It was viewed positively in the 80s, partly because of the novelty of having a chance to get to Wembley, these were largely the days pre-play offs when Wembley, for league clubs, was for the FA Cup and League Cup finals only.  It was beyond our wildest dreams to get there, so we lapped it up, crowds were bigger for the later stages of the competition than for many league games.  And the final was in May, it had an end of season celebratory feel in warm weather and nobody was thinking "I hope we don't get an injury, we've got a 6 pointer at Portsmouth next week".  It was right for the time, now it feels like an unnecessary distraction made worse by the U21s farce.

They've got to get back to a stage where it's viewed as a really worthy competition to play in instead of dead grounds and convoluted rules. And if a club doesn't fancy it and gets knocked out first round then so be it.

Bring back Anglo Italian while they're at it!

It seems like the u 21 prem clubs no marks who cost 5 million and haven't played for the first team at 21 don't fancy ending their careers against 37 year old cloggers from league 2 so these games always feel like a training session.

Even if we lose. We just dial it back hoping we don't get any injuries. 

I get the initial premise. I'm not massively against it it's just shit and isn't a 'competitive' fixture anymore than a preseason friendly is. 

Neil's fault. 

1 hour ago, Marc505 said:

They've got to get back to a stage where it's viewed as a really worthy competition to play in instead of dead grounds and convoluted rules. And if a club doesn't fancy it and gets knocked out first round then so be it.

Bring back Anglo Italian while they're at it!

I have a lot of Coventry City-supporting friends. They won the first EFL Cup featuring the u21s in the competition, and I remember taking the piss out of their ticker tape and open top bus parade heartily. "How small time", I recall thinking. 

Now, while I detest everything about the Prem reserve involvement, happily, they're not actually much more than first round fillers, and I think I'd celebrate a Pizza Cup win at Wembley like I would a play-off final. I started watching around 99-00. Sure, while I was of course spoiled with PL days, it still irks me that we haven't "won" anything in that time. 

Just no open-top bus down Chorley New Rd please...

Edited by TM Trotter

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Marc505 said:

At first I think the assumption was that the PL U21 teams were going to be a class above and we'd end up with all PL first every year but thankfully not so far. Think there's been only one all PL game at all since the "revamp" Arsenal U21 v Chelsea U21 at Emirates with about 6k on.

It's a failed experiment and a ruined competition. Wonder how many we'd take with a 40k allocation for a Wembley final in this

10,567 max IMO