Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Going to the match

BobyBrno

• Site Supporter

I was sat next to Gordon Taylor on Saturday and was talking to him for quite a while. He talked about the PFA selling it. He was concerned the new buyers wouldn’t let it remain in The Lowry, so he’ll be pleased it can still stay there. Think he said he bought it for 1.2mill, so it’s made quite a bit, although he thought it might be 10mill plus

Read up on it a few years ago. Lowry himself said he was sat in an upstairs room in a cafe opposite the ground which is how he got the perspective. 

Edit.

Dont think he painted the whole painting there. Just sketches.

Edited by BobyBrno

• Site Supporter

Went to the tile shop just further down from Chorley Old Road Morrisons (Atlas Mills) and Going to the Match had been recreated in mosaic tiles. I must admit, it’s bloody impressive.

edit - looking at the photo, there isn’t anything to show the size. It’s about 20 feet wide and 12 feet high (ish)

5AE866A2-458F-4435-8E1C-99E99E2E2C69.jpeg

Edited by MickyD

13 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Read up on it a few years ago. Lowry himself said he was sat in an upstairs room in a cafe opposite the ground which is how he got the perspective. 

Edit.

Dont think he painted the whole painting there. Just sketches.

A shame he didn't sit upstairs in the King Bill, looking towards the Lever End, that would have been a cracking perspective and more complete picture of the Burnden matchday ambience! I'm chuffed he chose Burnden Park for Going To The Match but I've always wondered if he could have just included a bit more of the front of the ground.

43 minutes ago, desperado said:

I was sat next to Gordon Taylor on Saturday and was talking to him for quite a while. He talked about the PFA selling it. He was concerned the new buyers wouldn’t let it remain in The Lowry, so he’ll be pleased it can still stay there. Think he said he bought it for 1.2mill, so it’s made quite a bit, although he thought it might be 10mill plus

Out of interest, what was he there for?  A one off or is he a regular visitor?

• Site Supporter

As an ex-player and Bolton fan, he gets invited occasionally into the Chairmans suite. I enjoyed talking to him, we had some good conversations about the past and current team as well as other things such as The Lowry painting (there’s a copy up in there) 

Edited by desperado

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, MickyD said:

Went to the tile shop just further down from Chorley Old Road Morrisons (Atlas Mills) and Going to the Match had been recreated in mosaic tiles. I must admit, it’s bloody impressive.

edit - looking at the photo, there isn’t anything to show the size. It’s about 20 feet wide and 12 feet high (ish)

There's a signed shirt on the left that gives an idea of scale.

14 hours ago, MickyD said:

It was there a couple of years back when I got my bathroom tiles from Atlas, it is impressive, I also have a copy bought from the Lowry pretty much when they first opened and they framed it (sorry Boby)

17 hours ago, MickyD said:

Was totally unaware of this - looks fantastic - must make a trip to see it next time i am in Bolton

Its such a shame that it is tucked away in such an out of the way place  and not widely known about

Be good to see it maybe loaned to the club and put on display for all to see 

Hard to believe that his paintings at one time divided opinion and were dismissed by many as irrelevant modern art. 

Used to go in Sam's Chop House on a regular basis which in his latter years was apparently Lowrys local and where not many years ago they put a lifesize statue of him sat at the bar on display - worth a quick trip inside to see if passing.  

L.S. Lowry | Sam's Chop House Manchester

Grandkids bedroom at our house                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               image.thumb.jpeg.3fc16645dc49cc6db7808c527233211d.jpeg

• Site Supporter
50 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

It's great and all that but he's either put the embankment on the wrong side or forgot to put a roof on the Lever end

It was never a ‘picture’ of Burnden. He studied crowds at a Bolton game to give him an idea of how people moved about on their way to games.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, athywhite1958 said:

Grandkids bedroom at our house                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               image.thumb.jpeg.3fc16645dc49cc6db7808c527233211d.jpeg

just missing this in a frame:

498333.jpg

2 hours ago, athywhite1958 said:

"grandkids"... Thinly veiled the only room the Mrs let you go near decorating. 

My hallway is similar I have these two... 

Screenshot_20221020-185150_Brave.jpg