Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Burton H

DomRepWanderer

40 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

Evatt open to playing afolayan at wing back again in is comments today . I know we’re at home but let’s not go down that route again the last half an hour on Saturday shows we’re he should be playing 

He’s a balloon if he does that 

He gas a preferred way of playing, unfortunately that requires a particular type of player. It also means, unless at times played with some degree of urgency, the opposition can mass ranks and nullify us.

Recently that has happened all too often.

It also seems to mean we have a choice between playing Bradley at right wing back, or Dapo at Left Wing. Trying to shoe horn Dapo as a left wing-back as opposed to a left winger was shown to be, at the very best, a work in progress.

Bradley is a good player here on loan. Dapo is a good player, and is ours.

Horses for courses maybe but the recent Gloucestershire double left us wanting., against struggling teams. Accrington are also struggling but had our measure until he went 4-3-3 & played Dapo in his best position.

Burton tomorrow, another team struggling. The same applies to Oxford on Saturday. Made for us to attack them. Let's fgs do that.

• Moderators

all credit to IE for the changes he made on Saturday as they worked and we were immense there on in

if we don't start tomorrow in a similar way, I'll be baffled to be honest

at the moment I'm not sure I entirely trust IE to get it right

I'm sure he'll make me a look a twat like

these are bottom 4, so of course it shouldn't matter, we should be beating them whoever plays and whatever the formation

I would just like to see more like the last 35 mins at Accy, and not the other shite we've had recently

Never beaten these frigging bastards, they are more than due a good hiding, but like Accrington away, and Morecambe at home earlier this season, hopefully we have turned a corner against our so called 'bogey teams'

I remember this match under the lights last year, we had 80% possession, nearly 30 shots and finished 0-0.

We play our game like we can do, and let them chase us, we will batter them.

Edited by Lostock Whites

Not really having the reasoning from IE about why Dapo played LWB. The 2 halves were night and day. 

1st half didn’t get the better of his man as he was picking the ball up mid point of our half. 

2nd half terrorised him cos he was played as an attacking winger 

anyway, 2-0 Dapo and JDB after coming on 

Edited by barrycowdrill

1 hour ago, barrycowdrill said:

Not really having the reasoning from IE about why Dapo played LWB. The 2 halves were night and day. 

1st half didn’t get the better of his man as he was picking the ball up mid point of our half. 

2nd half terrorised him cos he was played as an attacking winger 

anyway, 2-0 Dapo and JDB after coming on 

what was the reasoning?

I have a feeling Evatt will revert to 5-3-2 again for this. In his post match comments he was saying that he hopes the second half performance reminds the players of how good they can be and will give them confidence.

He did mention changing the system and making subs but seemed to credit the confidence boost after the first goal more than the system itself.

• Site Supporter

Just watched the extended highlights from Saturday, and I had a good look at the first goal we conceded. 

Whilst it was a good flick and turn by their prayer, the response from Williams in particular and Santos was woeful. The former looked like he was initially afraid he might get hit, then appeared to he jogging in treacle. At least Dapo sees the danger and busts a gut to try and get back.

For me, we really have to start games a bit sharper.

Do that tomorrow and it could be a decent night.

• Site Supporter

With the way things went on Saturday, you’ve had a difficult job so far this season selecting teams, does that help?

“Selecting teams is always difficult and some things work, some things don’t. What I will say is I don’t think people can become too focused on formations. We have an idea of what we are trying to do in possession and an idea what we try to do out of possession.

“Just because on paper it looks like 3-5-2, it doesn’t really mean to easy it is going to stay like that. In games, we can rotate and move into 4-3-3, we can change and build out with four at the back, three at the back, sometimes even two.

“It doesn’t really matter about formations and people shouldn’t be concentrating on it too much. The most important thing is what we are trying to do in possession, our idea of how to affect the opposition and then how we are going to press against the ball, not necessarily meaning we are going to stay in that formation for 90 minutes.”

Does that change game by game?

“Yes, but also players have the responsibility and the flexibility to be able to do that in game themselves. We can easily just move slightly to change into a back four or back three, there’s no issue with that and there’s no complaints from me if the players decide to do that because they feel like they’re not getting the right solutions in a certain structure.

“We want the players to have the flexibility and the confidence to be able to do things and rotate and move themselves. We’ve got a clear idea of what we’re trying to do in possession and a clear idea of how to affect the opposition and also out of possession, what our idea is in the high press and high regains.

“What that looks like in terms of systems is irrelevant really.”

• Site Supporter

Trafford 

Jones.   Santos.  Johnstone.  Iredale 

Thomason   MJ

Bradley.   Lee.   .   Dapo

Charles. 

Trafford 

Jones.   Santos.  Johnstone.   

Bradley       Thomason   MJ          Iredale

Lee.      

Charles            Dapo

Probably the whole reason he doesn’t want PE teachers fucking about, taking formations too seriously. 😂.

If nothing else I think it proves the point that players could/should be able to change and adapt during a game. Same players in 2 different formations 

Edited by desperado
Cant pick 12 😂