Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Burton H

DomRepWanderer

1 hour ago, desperado said:

My point was I don’t think it will be proportionate.

contrast in how folk will suddenly use their “expert knowledge in systems and formations” to say how Evatt was wrong, to us winning with Bradley in and him getting praise would be stark.

We regularly have this debate @Johnnyrotten I never want to stifle peoples opinion. @Lostock Whites above makes a good argument for a 4-3-3. And this is as good a place as any to do it!

But I still maintain my opinion (and you are welcome to disagree) that after a defeat/poor result there’s more fans who come on claiming how it should have been done, than giving praise to the manager when we’ve won, if he’s done something that goes against fan opinion. 

Ok so yes I do find it hard to understand why some might choose to ignore/disagree with his statements about tactics/formations, because it helps me make sense of why he might stick with wing backs and why Dapo might play there again. 

Even though I hasten to add, if I was picking the team I wouldn’t have him there! As I alluded to in my predicted team earlier in the thread. 

Agree with that mate.

As fans we can make suggestions about the team all the time which is perfectly normal. We have an external view and we pay good money to support the team.

But I trust Evatt, hes more qualified than any of us to make the right decision and I'm wholeheartedly behind him. 

Hes gonna make mistakes and he's still a young manager, but we are heading in the right direction from the board to manager, to the players and to the fans.

We've gone through difficult periods under Evatt and he's pulled us through every time (also props to the owners for sticking with him and not kneejerking) We are 6th in the league and in a fantastic position.

Now let's batter those brewer bastards tonight!

1 hour ago, bolton va va said:

Evatt's preferred 3CB's & 2 wing backs took us into a play off position & gave us the best defence in the league, so I wouldn't be scrapping it as a reaction to one half of football......I hope that Bradley & Iredale start as the wing backs, with any changes in the other 5.

One thing I do agree with, is that if Dapo is to play, it should be on the left wing/left side of our forwards, but whether we should make changes to the system or players that took us into a play off position, just to accomodate a player who has just had one very good half game, is a different thing. 

Devil's advocate - we also scored more in 30 mins using 433 than we had scored in the previous 3.5 matches. Also just shy of 25% of all the goals scored this season!!

We have never looked particularly comfortable against teams who just sit in and frustrate with 3 5 2. 

I personally would like to see 4 3 3, Bradley at RB, Dapo as LW and MJ rested.

Edited by JimmyRiddle

1 hour ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Devil's advocate - we also scored more in 30 mins using 433 than we had scored in the previous 3.5 matches. Also just shy of 25% of all the goals scored this season!!

We have never looked particularly comfortable against teams who just sit in and frustrate with 3 5 2. 

I personally would like to see 4 3 3, Bradley at RB, Dapo as LW and MJ rested.

Good stat.  In 5 aways Bradley has started, we've scored 1 goal from open play (and that was a free kick/header).  In 2 games without Bradley we've scored 3.  His creativity away from home, from what I've seen/heard/read, hasn't been great but he's not alone with that.  And stats can be used in many ways, they aren't the whole story obviously.

Dapo is just as likely as the next man to have a nondescript away game whatever position he plays, so its far from black and white (although not playing your right footed, best attacker at left back seems as close to black and white as we're likely to get!). 

Against teams like Burton at home you can still play 4 at the back, defend with 3 and not lose the forward impetus of your full backs 

MJ drops in front of your 2 CB’s, full backs push up alongside your other 2 midfielders and are closer to support / get round the outside of your 2 wide men of the front 3

basically making a 2-1-4-3 

plus as your full backs aren’t as high up the pitch as they would be as wing backs it’s easier to drop back in to a back 4 when we lose the ball 

JSL

7 minutes ago, DaveTheRave said:

Trafford

Jones. Santos  iredale 

Bradley.                            Dapo 

Dempsey Morley Thomason 

Kachunga. Charles

I’d go with this, with a switch to a back 4 when we’re in / out of possession.

It would make sense - I just hope the players are good enough to understand how and when, if that is the case

4-1 Bolton. Charles, Dempsey, Dapo x2

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Evatt was saying were not purely one or the other, but for me a 4-3-3 looks most likely. 

Aye, that's what am thinking though Sky sports app has Dapo and Bradley as WBs

It has at least the flexibility to go from 3-5-2 to 4-3-3 without making a sub