Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Burton H


DomRepWanderer
 Share

Recommended Posts

Was sceptical of what Sheehan could offer at the start of the season but have to say his small cameo was the best midfield performance of the night. Seemed to make the right decision every time and pick out some cute passes.

Although he didn’t get a direct goal contribution I thought he was the sub that made the biggest difference to our general play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Big E said:

I don’t get the constant anti Kachunga when Charles offered nothing. He was rubbish last night 

I can see your point but for me charles has something and proved in the past, dapo went through a long spell before Accrington 

Unfortunately JDB & Baka play better off the bench so are options are limited, kachunga played well Saturday but it’s simply not enough and unless we off load we have him for another season

 

Edited by radcliffe white
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
1 hour ago, woolli said:

But thats all it was, a win. We was shit otherwise! Or are your rose tinted glasses still on? 

As for liking Bolton teams, i have "liked" every Bolton team since 1969. It doesnt mean that those teams havent been poor at some stage, or fantastic for that matter.

Dont forget to get me a ticket, i would so much love to be in your company!

Now go and find something constructive to do, im off to the roof terrace to catch some rays!

teedlepoops for now!

Question

Have we played what you would consider “well” in any game since 2018?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Spider said:

Question

Have we played what you would consider “well” in any game since 2018?

Of course we have. Weve played well in games this season, but last night, for 80 minutes wasnt one of them. In reply to your "wheres woolli" quote, actually, if you had looked back on the thread, you would have seen i was the first to comment when we scored the second, something like  "get fuckin in", but slightly more passionate, because thats what i am!

Ive also never been an " Evatt" basher, but IMHO, changing half of the team most games isnt the way forward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Big E said:

I don’t get the constant anti Kachunga when Charles offered nothing. He was rubbish last night 

For me it's because previously Charles has absolutely delivered and so it's reasonable to think he might again, whereas Kachunga pretty much hasn't delivered during his time with us, barring the odd lone spark every dozen games or so and appears to be a very strange choice as a goalscoring hope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, woolli said:

Of course we have. Weve played well in games this season, but last night, for 80 minutes wasnt one of them. In reply to your "wheres woolli" quote, actually, if you had looked back on the thread, you would have seen i was the first to comment when we scored the second, something like  "get fuckin in", but slightly more passionate, because thats what i am!

Ive also never been an " Evatt" basher, but IMHO, changing half of the team most games isnt the way forward.

So no credit to Evatt for the subs that won us the game then ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Spider said:

So no credit to Evatt for the subs that won us the game then ?

Yes, so lets start with the 11 who finished last night. Neither Kachunga or Dion are firing, lets give Sadlier a start. Always looks influential when he comes on

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Kane57 said:

For me it's because previously Charles has absolutely delivered and so it's reasonable to think he might again, whereas Kachunga pretty much hasn't delivered during his time with us, barring the odd lone spark every dozen games or so and appears to be a very strange choice as a goalscoring hope.

 

23 minutes ago, Kane57 said:

For me it's because previously Charles has absolutely delivered and so it's reasonable to think he might again, whereas Kachunga pretty much hasn't delivered during his time with us, barring the odd lone spark every dozen games or so and appears to be a very strange choice as a goalscoring hope.

Charles doing nothing but that being ok is a bit Southgate picking McGuire ish for me 😁

Kachunga isn’t great but he’s been more of a threat than Charles for a while. He used to chase it down and cause havoc. He doesn’t appear to be firing at all. Hopefully it comes back but the lad needs a rest

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

im past doubting evatt or trying to come up with owt better than he comes up with

 

dapo, santos, MJ, morley, charles, bod, bradley, jones, john, trafford

 

theyd play every game for me, fitness permitting, but if they dont, hes easrned the right to do what he wants

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
7 minutes ago, Big E said:

 

He used to chase it down and cause havoc. He doesn’t appear to be firing at all. Hopefully it comes back but the lad needs a rest

touched on this last week

im convinced hes been told not to just chase everything

clever running is what evatt wants

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Big E said:

 

Charles doing nothing but that being ok is a bit Southgate picking McGuire ish for me 😁

Kachunga isn’t great but he’s been more of a threat than Charles for a while. He used to chase it down and cause havoc. He doesn’t appear to be firing at all. Hopefully it comes back but the lad needs a rest

Spose it's his track record and status as the most striker-y of our attacking options means that to me at least he still warrants a start. Bakayoko has proven over and over that he's useless as a starter, whereas Bodvarsson is more of your support striker type.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
46 minutes ago, Casino said:

im past doubting evatt or trying to come up with owt better than he comes up with

 

dapo, santos, MJ, morley, charles, bod, bradley, jones, john, trafford

 

theyd play every game for me, fitness permitting, but if they dont, hes easrned the right to do what he wants

 

John?

Typo there, or genuine belief?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Kane57 said:

Spose it's his track record and status as the most striker-y of our attacking options means that to me at least he still warrants a start. Bakayoko has proven over and over that he's useless as a starter, whereas Bodvarsson is more of your support striker type.

We certainly need invest there in January especially when Dapo departs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
Just now, Traf said:

I'd have John in too.

If we're playing with wingbacks, it's John all day for me.
 

As a wingback, yes I agree.

I was more referring to his behaviour as outlined in the other thread.

He booted off in an unreasonable fashion- especially as IE explained he wanted to give others a bit of a game.

Unless there's some humble pie, I can't see him being here much longer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, woolli said:

Yes, so lets start with the 11 who finished last night. Neither Kachunga or Dion are firing, lets give Sadlier a start. Always looks influential when he comes on

I agree Sads deserves a start soon, but don't think we can criticise the starting lineup too much.

Bodvarsson did poorly vs Accy = dropped. Kachunga did well = picked. There was no MJ in midfield so = less defensive. Bakayoko hasn't been able to hit a barn door till last night and Sheehan hasn't had any gametime to show he deserves to start until last night. 

I don't think Dapo at LWB is the way forward though, and would've liked to have seen us start 4-3-3, but can't say with any certainty that it would've been better. I think we switched to 4-3-3 at some point last night and it didn't really affect the game much.

Let's be honest, maybe it would be better to have started with Baka and Bod and gone 'direct' from the off but Evatt is never going to do that. Can call him stubborn or arrogant for that, but he's always going to try and break teams down with possession football first before resorting to plan B.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Mantra said:

he's always going to try and break teams down with possession football first before resorting to plan B.

Interesting debate this one.

In the past (and some still say even now) that IE has ‘no plan B’.

I’d argue there’s plenty of evidence over the the last 4 games to suggest he’s open to adaptation/flexibility; number of players he’s used, players in      different roles, changing formations, multitude of early subs, 2 goals yesterday from long ball/set pieces.

So I can see why theres some  common threads he’s sticking too; breaking teams down with possession football, 3 CBS/2 WBs etc

I touched on this point earlier, while we are winning I’m happy to look on these factors as positives. We always knew he was learning on the job with us, so if he can strike the balance of experimenting/sticking to his principles, while keeping the players happy and edging us towards the Championship then crack on Ian.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter

We can talk of formations, plans etc, but it would simply be nice to get ahead early from time to time, and occasionally win comfortably. 

At the moment, this is arguably holding is back a little- we didn't manage to break down Barnsley, and the two away games we lost back to back we simply didn't do well enough.

Gloves off from the off perhaps- we've still got plenty of decent subs that can come on if it's not wormed.

As much as we wear a lot of teams down and score late, it's not great for the ticker!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Mantra said:

I agree Sads deserves a start soon, but don't think we can criticise the starting lineup too much.

Bodvarsson did poorly vs Accy = dropped. Kachunga did well = picked. There was no MJ in midfield so = less defensive. Bakayoko hasn't been able to hit a barn door till last night and Sheehan hasn't had any gametime to show he deserves to start until last night. 

I don't think Dapo at LWB is the way forward though, and would've liked to have seen us start 4-3-3, but can't say with any certainty that it would've been better. I think we switched to 4-3-3 at some point last night and it didn't really affect the game much.

Let's be honest, maybe it would be better to have started with Baka and Bod and gone 'direct' from the off but Evatt is never going to do that. Can call him stubborn or arrogant for that, but he's always going to try and break teams down with possession football first before resorting to plan B.

Went to 433 just before they scored.

Traff

Bradley, Jones, Rico, Iredale

Lee, Morley,dempsey, 

Sadlier, Kachunga, Dapo 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

would simply be nice to get ahead early from time to time, and occasionally win comfortably. 

At the moment, this is arguably holding is back a little

Agree with this too.

I think it was @paulhanley who used the phrase “taking the hand-brake off”  earlier which I agreed with yesterday. 

We actually started off quite well yesterday, but then became a bit bland and stifled until the subs.

I think Evatt is learning and evolving and of course this is all easier said than done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

We can talk of formations, plans etc, but it would simply be nice to get ahead early from time to time, and occasionally win comfortably. 

At the moment, this is arguably holding is back a little- we didn't manage to break down Barnsley, and the two away games we lost back to back we simply didn't do well enough.

Gloves off from the off perhaps- we've still got plenty of decent subs that can come on if it's not wormed.

As much as we wear a lot of teams down and score late, it's not great for the ticker!

Yes starting poorly is a habit we had last season too. I even started a thread about conceding first last year. At least this season we are showing some more fight and spirit to comeback but there's still FGR and Cheltenham results to be concerned about.

Does seem like we want to be too patient at the start rather than 'going for the jugular' straight away. Evatt's talked about 'playing angry' after conceding. Need to do that more. We can play very nice football until we get to the opposition box but then we have just lacked quality and intensity in the final third lately. I guess the worry is, if we go too gung-ho from the start will it work or will we be too open on the counter?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.