Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oxford H

W.cramp

5 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Don’t see Sheehan starting in the league for a while. Happy to give him 20/30 min sub appearances and cup games though. His time will come in a few weeks time. I was impressed with him last night though

Probably going to face a defensive set up again. He and Morley pass progressively, I’d be content with him starting and pulled after an hour but get your point 

• Site Supporter

If I was having a little play on Football Manager then something like this would get 3 points against Oxford on the computer…

Trafford.                          

Bradley Santos Johnston Iredale
        Morley Sheehan (or MJ)  
                  Lee
Sadlier Bodvarsson Afolayan

But there’ll be so much more to consider that I wouldn’t dream of thinking about. 

I’d be just as happy to see 4/5 personnel changes and a different formation as long as it gets us 3 points.

Edited by desperado

• The topic was pinned
5 minutes ago, desperado said:

If I was having a little play on Football Manager then something like this would get 3 points against Oxford on the computer…

Trafford.                          

Bradley Santos Johnston Iredale
        Morley Sheehan (or MJ)  
                  Lee
Sadlier Bodvarsson Afolayan

But there’ll be so much more to consider that I wouldn’t dream of thinking about. 

I’d be just as happy to see 4/5 personnel changes and a different formation as long as it gets us 3 points.

I agree with that line up mate, based on what we saw last night when the subs came on. But then again, I said that after Accy and it clearly didn’t work.

It’s a bit of a catch 22 at the moment because the subs are changing the game and so make the case for starting the next game, but then it means that there are 4/5 changes every game which I’m convinced isn’t helping. I’m a big fan of Morley, but I thought he was poor last night - saying that, it was his first game back for about a month, and he was alongside Thomason in the centre. Do you then, drop him for MJ / Sheehan on Saturday, keep him but change the midfield 3 which means he’s got another partner next to him, or leave it the same even though the starting midfield 3 were shite for the most part?

Someone’s already said it, but the amount of options that we have, especially in midfield, are both a blessing and a problem and I’m not sure how you resolve it.

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It’s a bit of a catch 22 at the moment because the subs are changing the game

Absolutely. And different subs each game! 

I’ve not counted, but in our last 4 games, including the Papa John, he must have used nearly every member of the squad! 

The negative being the lack of consistency not knowing his best 11. 

But there’s more positives. We’ve won 3 drawn 1.  You could argue all of them have made a case for being in the starting 11! Which is remarkable. I can’t think of one player who I would be suprised to see starting on Saturday. I’d be happy to make a case for any of them! 

And that goal celebration followed by the post match stadium celebration shows how together they are. 

While it might be unrealistic and very unusual, carrying on in the same vein, (rotating the squad, winning games and keeping everybody happy) would be the ideal scenario. Green Genie was talking about the lack of depth in their squad and how injuries might start affecting them.

It just might be that the one element (too many players to keep happy) we are concerned about, is the one strength that gives us a great foundation to push from…