Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oxford H

W.cramp

4 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

It’s simple. He’s on the shoulder and he’s played in. It’s what he lives off and what we don’t do nearly half as much as we should 

He doesn’t seem to necessarily make the runs particularly often either though. Much less than Kachunga, in fact. 

Must admit I thought we were on for another miracle comeback when we pulled back to 1-2, but yet another bunch of League One shithouses that we can’t figure out how to beat. Ball in play for about 27 minutes all day.

Evatt is absolutely unnecessarily stubborn about the formation, but playing against 10 behind the ball there’s no reason why Dapo can’t be pushing on out wide and instead he’s just pottering about down the middle. Not unique in that given we had a chronic lack of width despite the wing backs but we just can’t seem to find any space when we need it. 

Might have been a different game if it weren’t for that worldie save first half but we’ve just got to figure out getting the first goal in games like these 

3 minutes ago, Spider said:

For what it’s worth

I don’t think ANY of our strikers are good enough, seriously.

We’re about spirit and resilience as much as talent. 

See I disagree, I think Charles has shown he can be and I think JDB when fit is also more than good enough in this league.

For me, he’s being stubborn with fitting what we have into his system, rather than fitting the system around his best players. I know he won’t change his style and philosophy and I get that, but there has to be more than one way of playing that way.

My frustration is that he won’t change the system when it’s so clearly not working - it’s like banging your head against a brick wall, every game is the same at the moment, it’s literally Groundhog Day and you could write the script for the first 60 minutes of every game. He’s stubborn - it’s a strength of his but I also think it’s his biggest weakness and it’s really showing at the moment. He fell on his 532 sword in L2 after long enough, and it worked. It feels like something similar is needed now - doing the same thing game after game and expecting different outcomes is bonkers.

4 minutes ago, Black Sheep said:

In my opinion (sorry if it differs from the majority), is that he's not good enough or clever enough to get us out of league 1, although I agree that it sounds daft saying that whilst in the top 6.

If he played our best players in a 4-4-2 and attacked teams from the off, we would put teams on the backfoot, but this 5 at the back at with a defensive midfielder at home against a weakened team just negates any advantage.

Apologies for all who loves Evatt, but I honestly can't see how he's our biggest asset, the Accrington & Burton comebacks just papered over the cracks, on the back of defeats at Cheltenham & FGR.

You are entitled to your opinion and I can see why but changing him won’t help he needs to change his tactics and stop being stubborn and play our best 11 every week instead of being the new tinker man and playing players out of position. 

• Site Supporter
42 minutes ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

Awful, do we have a midfield today?

Not there so it's difficult to comment, but I saw the team sheet and didn't fancy us.

Last season with Sarc and Sheehan we'd get done on transition as neither are great defensively and it would leave MJ susceptible. 

Similar set up today had me concerned.

Bingo machine once again- must be difficult for team cohesion at times.

Come away from t'hospital and thoroughly pissed off.

Fuck em.

Our great defensive record has gone down the shitter the last few games , and that's an even bigger concern than not taking our chances. Accrington and Oxford have scored multiple times past us and we can't keep going behind and expecting to come back. 

This isn't just one game, it's a run of 5/6 games of playing shit. Sometimes winning sometimes losing but we didnt deserve anything today. Shite.

1 minute ago, royal white said:

Boooooooo that was fucking dog shit. Trafford had to be stronger on that last goal and why was Santos ducking.  

Santos at fault with the first as well

top 10 just this season and unless cash is injected we staying put with the Fleetwood’s and Accy for some time

Just now, Rizlar said:

You are entitled to your opinion and I can see why but changing him won’t help he needs to change his tactics and stop being stubborn and play our best 11 every week instead of being the new tinker man and playing players out of position. 

I'd rather not change him, but doing the same thing over and over again even though it isn't working is insane and a sign of a poor manager IMO. He over complicates things, I agree get your best players on the pitch in their best positions and give the opposition something to think about instead of thinking about how to nulify them. 

He over complicates things - again thinking that he's better then he is.

I like Evatt alot & believe in him fully still but can also acknowledge his negatives. We lose two shite, pathetic, boring efforts at Cheltenham/FGR, draw a boring non match against Barnsley, go two behind to Accy change the entire personnel & system to blow them away second half... to revert back to to the same boring non creative system to trail a shit Burton team for 85 mins... take the reins of everybody throw on some attackers get the ball forward with urgency we win somehow. Then we revert back to the most negative XI of the season today IMO, granted he made the changes finally & we looked better but to then let in such a soft goal from the corner when we had the momentum was suicide to kill the game. Our POTS Dapo was still playing left wing back right until the end just to try make this boring tactic which was built for Fossey (who's no longer here) to work. We had a very good start but this month has been absolutely terrible considering the opposition, the comebacks were brilliant but just papers over the cracks in the evidence of him going with the exact same plan which got us in them situations in which we needed to comeback from.

• Site Supporter
27 minutes ago, Black Sheep said:

I'll be honest I want him gone, he's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is.

He needs to stop being such a stubborn, 'know it all' twat, who thinks that he's Guardiola. 

“I’ll be honest I want him gone”

Youve changed your mind quick. 😁

2 minutes ago, Spider said:

“I’ll be honest I want him gone”

Youve changed your mind quick. 😁

Fair point, my fault I deserved that. I'd rather it worked out with Evatt and didn't have to change manager but I would also have no issue if he left - and at the moment if pushed I do want him to go. 

Is that ok are you going to come back with more sarcastic shite ?

• Site Supporter
Just now, globaldiver said:

Oxford were magnificent; proper team effort.

Things like this are glossed over.

They did a number on us and their defence was horrid but effective.

Bad day at the office, long way to go and plenty of chances to get it right for Big Ian

Let’s face it IE as been sussed out by other managers he now needs to come up with another game plan instead of sticking to this ponderous football we are playing and just swopping players every week otherwise top 6 will not be achievable by the end of the season.