Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oxford H

W.cramp

1 minute ago, globaldiver said:

Oxford were magnificent; proper team effort.

I agree to an extent, but they’re the latest team to turn up and ruin the game. It’s a very very obvious tactic against us, and although we can’t do anything about it, starting slow and pedestrian and giving tears the chance to knick a lead means that teams can do it even more - it’s horrendous and frustrating to watch, but I completely understand why teams do it against us, especially at home.

If we started on the front foot and grab a first half lead (remember them?) then we can play our game, dominate and teams can’t just waste time and break up play.

It’ll happen, look how bad our Oct-Dec was last year, but it really is shit to watch whilst we’re in this form.

3 minutes ago, Spider said:

Things like this are glossed over.

They did a number on us and their defence was horrid but effective.

Bad day at the office, long way to go and plenty of chances to get it right for Big Ian

Keep telling yer self that kidda, i thought that when i got a BWFC bag off Bolton market as a present in 1972.

Ever since i had hope😭

I'm glad there's no league game for a fortnight now. It's a natural pause in the season to reflect. 

In the long term we are 6th and there's still 30 games of the season to go. We've a transfer window in a couple of months and the trajectory of the club is still an upward curve.
In the short term, October has been a poor month with a sequence of winnable games that we've made a right meal of. It feels like the division has sussed out our 5-3-2 formation and we ourselves have been staid and stifled. IE needs to change the system to better release our attacking artillery and better impose ourselves on games. Today's team selection was stubbornness in the face of the obvious. 

We knew in the Summer that there was a queue of big clubs in this league. We're not at the top of that queue yet. We need to be patient but we also need signs of short-term remedial action to keep us in the top six fight.

Edited by paulhanley

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, paulhanley said:

I'm glad there's no league game for a fortnight now. It's a natural pause in the season to reflect. 

In the long term we are 6th and there's still 30 games of the season to go. We've a transfer window in a couple of months and the trajectory of the club is still an upward curve.
In the short term, October has been a poor month with a sequence of winnable games that we've made a right meal of. It feels like the division has sussed out our 5-3-2 formation and we ourselves have been staid and stifled. IT needs to change the system to better release our attacking artillery and better impose ourselves on games. Today's team selection was stubbornness in the face of the obvious. 

We knew in the Summer that there was a queue of big clubs in this league. We're not at the top of that queue yet. We need to be patient but we also need signs of short-term remedial action to keep us in the top six fight.

👌👌👌👌

have a plus-1

2 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Watched it three times and still had time to get to it

Come on. He obviously couldn’t get to it. Your blaming santos and not jones for letting a weak as piss cross through him and not doing enough on the touch line to stop it. That’s harsh

Didn't think Oxford played as shithouse as Accy and Burton, nowhere near it. 

Very effective from corners and on the counter but didn't timewaste anywhere near the degree of the other two. Ref was a fucking wanker and seemed to give very soft fouls and didn't have a clue first half especially.

However, can't blame him as we performed collectively and individually very shit.

Too many loose passes, totally trigger-shy in front of goal. And we have conceded first again! Thats now Cheltenham, FGR, Accy, Burton and Oxford that we've let the opponents have a headstart. It was a problem last season with 4-2-3-1 and it's still a problem now with 5-3-2. 

4 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

In the short term, October has been a poor month with a sequence of winnable games that we've made a right meal of. It feels like the division has sussed out our 5-3-2 formation and we ourselves have been staid and stifled. IE needs to change the system to better release our attacking artillery and better impose ourselves on games. Today's team selection was stubbornness in the face of the obvious. 

Perfectly summarised. Tough to see the big picture when you’re in the middle of a run of poor form, but the big picture also doesn’t mean that things never need to change / be tweaked.

Onwards and upwards, in the Stubborn One we trust. IESWA

4 minutes ago, Spider said:

Jones , Santos and Iredale were all as bad as I’ve seen them for a long time today.

As much as Evatt can piss about with formations, he’s powerless when his defenders are as bad as that,

And Bradley was pretty poor and MJ looked shite. I said it earlier in the game, we know that all of these players aren’t shite, it just seems that at the moment we have 3-5 players per game that have a really poor game (that was probably more like 6-7 today).

We clearly lack physicality (as we have done ever since Evatt took over), a few pointed this out in the summer, we also clearly lack a proper goal scorer (Evatt was apparently offered loads of top quality goal scorers in the summer just before the transfer window ended, in fact he was astounded at the quality of players offered, but thought that the strikers he had were better).

He's obviously fell out with our best LWB (John), and chased & signed several players over the past year or so (Sadlier, Dempsey, Morley, Bodvarsson etc.) yet hasn't played them much over the past few months. We've struggled over the past 6 games or so playing 5 at the back (and only really pulled it back at Accrington & Burton going 4-4-2 and going for it) - yet he still doesn't change anything, playing Dapo at LWB is shocking.

As I've said he (Evatt) thinks he's Guardiola, but he really isn't and his stubbornness and lack of tactical nous & experience will cost us, if the fans are happy to stay in League 1 for a few more years whilst he learns his trade then fine, but if I was FV I'd be asking questions of Evatt as to why a lot of teams with only 1/2 of our wage budget seem to be able to tactically out think & outfight us.

4 minutes ago, Black Sheep said:

We clearly lack physicality (as we have done ever since Evatt took over), a few pointed this out in the summer, we also clearly lack a proper goal scorer (Evatt was apparently offered loads of top quality goal scorers in the summer just before the transfer window ended, in fact he was astounded at the quality of players offered, but thought that the strikers he had were better).

He's obviously fell out with our best LWB (John), and chased & signed several players over the past year or so (Sadlier, Dempsey, Morley, Bodvarsson etc.) yet hasn't played them much over the past few months. We've struggled over the past 6 games or so playing 5 at the back (and only really pulled it back at Accrington & Burton going 4-4-2 and going for it) - yet he still doesn't change anything, playing Dapo at LWB is shocking.

As I've said he (Evatt) thinks he's Guardiola, but he really isn't and his stubbornness and lack of tactical nous & experience will cost us, if the fans are happy to stay in League 1 for a few more years whilst he learns his trade then fine, but if I was FV I'd be asking questions of Evatt as to why a lot of teams with only 1/2 of our wage budget seem to be able to tactically out think & outfight us.

This with bells on.

Absolutely no idea where the idea of booting it towards kachunga and Charles has come from.

1st time we passed it about nicely Lee missed a sitter.

2nd time we passed it Charles scored.

A throwback to hoofing it to le fondre today. Strange

Think a lot of this 'stubbornness' from Evatt to depart from the 3-5-2 is the fact that we spent that pre-season training camp in Portugal where he kept saying about having the players 24/7 to drill the tactical detail into them.

They've invested a lot of time and money into this system and so to change back to 4-3-3 or something else while we're still in the top 6 and only 16 games in probably isn't appetising for Evatt.

1 minute ago, Eavesy said:

Absolutely no idea where the idea of booting it towards kachunga and Charles has come from.

1st time we passed it about nicely Lee missed a sitter.

2nd time we passed it Charles scored.

A throwback to hoofing it to le fondre today. Strange

The ball needed to go over the CBs for Kachunga and Charles to run onto, that's where they have the advantage. Not grappling with the CBs and trying to link up play.

The amount of matches were it takes us around 70 minutes for our first shot on target to ask a question of the goalkeeper especially against some dross opposition is mindboggling & absolutely boring to watch considering we scored 74 league goals last season. Evatt this season is restricting our attack to make us more solid at the back which we had the best defence in the league this season going in today yet we still look really vulnerable at the back. It's like IE is coaching the offense out of the team, Dion/Kacha spent all their game outside the box trying to buy freekicks in areas which aren't even dangerous & when we did get in promising positions out wide we'd put a ball in the area yet the front two were nowhere to be seen bar Sheehan who had the IQ to drop off onto the penalty spot to get a free chance where he hit it straight at the keeper. It's a real lack of belief & efficiency up until all the subs come on where we can finally go for it.

Edited by Deanu

From the day he walked in the building 3-5-2 was what he wanted. He changed it half way through L2 because of our position and the players available demanded it. 

as soon as he could he brought in players to better suit the 3-5-2 and we went on a run last season so it completely vindicated the decision 

now with a mixture of teams sussing us out and our strongest asset being front foot football and our attacking options he’s almost back to square 1 where a change in formation is required 

he’s tried to placate the clamour for Dapo to be in by playing him in every position he can within the formation he wants. It hasn’t worked. It’s detrimental to the team and the player. 

4-3-3 might piss of some players who have been quite comfortable but he’s already doing that with the others on the fringes anyway. 

id much rather him try and find a solution by acknowledging what he wants might not be the best thing for us currently over dressing up the same formation with different players as our Plan B. 

Edited by barrycowdrill

• Moderators

The getting it forward early  first half was a mistake

Hooefully thats a lesson learned though it couldve been the application of the plan, rather than the plan itself

I aldo hope we have learned morley should be playing more than he has been

From where we got ourselves in the last 2 games, 6 from 3 is a proper good result, so im fed up but not suicidal

And oxford are a top half team and will piss on a few chippy reas this season