Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oxford H

W.cramp

3 hours ago, Deanu said:

In the XI for today our biggest goal threats are Lee & Bradley really. Hopefully the subs win us the game again.

Not being wise after the event but my comment on hearing the team was, lets get to 0-0 at H-T and try to win it 2nd half, that team isn't scoring goals.  Its worked a couple of times recently but we can't keep going to the well.  In 16 games we've scored a goal from open play in the first half in 3 of them, and not one in the last 9 games.  For all the "it doesn't matter if we score after 1 minute or 98", we aren't good enough to consistently win the last 30 minutes to make up for the first hour.

13 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Think a lot of this 'stubbornness' from Evatt to depart from the 3-5-2 is the fact that we spent that pre-season training camp in Portugal where he kept saying about having the players 24/7 to drill the tactical detail into them.

They've invested a lot of time and money into this system and so to change back to 4-3-3 or something else while we're still in the top 6 and only 16 games in probably isn't appetising for Evatt.

The problem is he last 5 games have been to the teams at the bottom we might be still high up the table but that’s not going to last on current trend we’re to rigid in formation don’t create chances and can’t defend 

Don’t read this happy clappers/yes still in top 6types 

personally think IE has reached his shelf life 

end of October and he doesn’t know his best 11

se reason continues with kachunga who’s stats are awful, because he’s one of the highest paid players FV To IE get a tune 

trying to please everyone

sheff/ipswich etc do they make 3/5 changes a game?

not calling for him out but personally don’t think he’ll be in charge come Aug

Edited by radcliffe white

We have no leaders on the pitch, when teams get stuck into them they shrink and don't know what to do. It was the same last season but Evatt ignored it.

I appreciate that many fans like him, but if he is improving us its a very slow process - with the wage budget and players FV have backed him with we should be performing better, he fucks about with team selection far to much - square pegs in round holes week after week, he needs to get back to 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 with Dapo left winger and Sadlier or A.N Other wide right with Bodvarsson in the middle and attack teams playing at a quicker tempo, and stop this sideways & backward slow possession shite football, which then over the past few weeks has then only resulted in hoofing it to small forward players. 

Jones needs dropping because he's poor and is a weak link IMO as does Williams (who's to me at times lacks interest), but more importantly is Evatt accepting that currently his formation & tactics are not working and repeating them week after week with his fingers in his ears or head in the sand (just hoping it works) is not acceptable. 

Having Williams, Lee & Sheehan as our midfield today against a team that Evatt says in his post match press conference as being energetic & pressing (I'm sure that he said the most energetic in the league ?) tells me enough about Evatt, knowing this why play those 3 ?, he's becoming very Freedman bingo ball selective. 

• Site Supporter

I'm not going to knee jerk reaction but do think we need a more settled starting 11 to get the best out of some of ours.

Some of the least consistent players are shoe ins too.

Not great today but didn't think it was particularly bad either. Just a bit meh.

Sheehan doesn't look ready to start yet.

We'll be reet

25 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

se reason continues with kachunga who’s stats are awful

Ian Evett's covered wagon Medicine Show. Honest!!.

13 minutes ago, Black Sheep said:

We have no leaders on the pitch, when teams get stuck into them they shrink and don't know what to do. It was the same last season but Evatt ignored it.

I appreciate that many fans like him, but if he is improving us its a very slow process - with the wage budget and players FV have backed him with we should be performing better, he fucks about with team selection far to much - square pegs in round holes week after week, he needs to get back to 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 with Dapo left winger and Sadlier or A.N Other wide right with Bodvarsson in the middle and attack teams playing at a quicker tempo, and stop this sideways & backward slow possession shite football, which then over the past few weeks has then only resulted in hoofing it to small forward players. 

Jones needs dropping because he's poor and is a weak link IMO as does Williams (who's to me at times lacks interest), but more importantly is Evatt accepting that currently his formation & tactics are not working and repeating them week after week with his fingers in his ears or head in the sand (just hoping it works) is not acceptable. 

Having Williams, Lee & Sheehan as our midfield today against a team that Evatt says in his post match press conference as being energetic & pressing (I'm sure that he said the most energetic in the league ?) tells me enough about Evatt, knowing this why play those 3 ?, he's becoming very Freedman bingo ball selective. 

Are you privvy to our wage budget compared to other clubs?

https://www.skysports.com/football/bolton-wanderers-vs-oxford-united/report/469122

Goals are on Sky if you wish to depress yourself further like me.

First goal, shit from Jones to let the cross in but fair play to their 22's persistence. Slightly unfortunate Santos's block goes straight to their man to poke in

Sheehan's miss looks less bad. Not much more he could've done with it, just had to guide it in, good save from the goalie. 9 times out of 10 that probably goes in.

Second goal, you could throw a bedsheet over Lee, MJ and Sheehan. All sucked in on the left leaving Bradley to make a poor challenge in midfield. Defence backs off and he powers it in. Not sure if it took a nick off Santos' boot to take it away from Trafford's reach.

Our goal - well worked from our perspective, but precious little of that in the game. Then Dion is about an inch off getting an equalising touch at the back post.

Third goal - shit defending from the corner but they were looking dangerous from set pieces regardless

Edited by Mantra

9 minutes ago, waffer cup 07 said:

6th in league and Evatt cloggers out in force. It must have been his fault our defence made 3 bad errors.

It isn’t Just about that is it though. 

when you have the level of performance, the lack of creativity and softness at the back we’ve had over the last few weeks in games you would expect / hope we’d get the results from then it’s bound to raise questions. Throw in lower confidence levels, errors start coming in and compounds the problem. 

negative results haven’t been as a direct result of mistakes 

11 minutes ago, waffer cup 07 said:

6th in league and Evatt cloggers out in force. It must have been his fault our defence made 3 bad errors.

And you think we will be 6th in league if this continues ? It’s not a one off this as been a pattern for the last 6 games against poor opponents 

31 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

se reason continues with kachunga who’s stats are awful

Happy clappers?

Come on mate. You're better than that.

I think anyway. 

Just back, not read up the comments yet so these are my thoughts, off me head, a few Madri in.

I dont think Madri at the ground is as good as in a regular setting. It's fizzier, dont get me wrong, drink it over coors every day, but at the bowling green, leigh, its a much smoother ride.

Football, 

Kachunga, 340 senior appearances, 59 goals (46 / 2 for bolton in league) - if we want to get promoted we cant have a striker with that goals to game ratio, i hear all about running and chasing etc, my first season watchin bolton I didnt see mcginlay or blake chasing much down, i did see them banging in 20 goals each from left foot, right foot and from their yeds, granted the game has changed, but them 2 in their pomp I wont accept wouldnt score goals in this league at better than 1 in 6.

At the start of the season most of us thought we have 4 strikers that may get 10 goals plus each with kachunga as a fifth option if we got despo.......nope, he's starting more often than not, and scoring fack all, even a shot would be good, was offside more times today than shots on target. I cant fault his effort but he is not a box to box midfielder, it isn't enough.

From our other strikers in the 10+ squad, one of them is playing left back, one of them (charles) isnt getting the type of servie he needs, JDB seems overly benched - we need him fit and firing, he is our best up fronter IMO, Baka is Baka, i think he over achieved last season, love how he is always in the right spot 8 yeards out but thats the only type of goal we get from him

Midfield - we seem to have too many options, start of the season i though Dempsey would be a shoe in for most games, think he is a decent box to boxer, i was hoping we'd build the centre around him but it looks like we're still not sure on our best threesome in there, Sadlier today looked good coming on, will he ever start ina meaningful game?

I just think we miss one or two chisled old pros, even a barry bannan, players that do things, we seem very robotic and predictable. Would love to see a a pair of wily old cnuts in our squad.....it was apparent early today we where winning nothing earlier in their box and would do well to keep them out for 90, it was the tallest opposition i can rememebr seeing in a long time.

Was still hopeful of a point at 85 mins but thats what kills u...

Dont think we're a bad team, statiscially defensively we're very good, surpringly so actually, but we lack fluidity and just a general up and at them approach ....unless we're 0-1 down, at that point we seem to spring to life somewhat.

The soloution? no idea, really, thats why i work in logistics, BUT, id like to see Dapo starting on the left, id like to see a formation accomodating that, id like to see a more fluid looking midfield 3 of say morley, sheehan and dempsey.....and maybe some start time for JDB. Could Dion go wide right of a front 3 with Dapo? Its gotta be better than a line up of kanchunga up front and dapo left back?

have a good night all, time for a pink gin

4 minutes ago, royal white said:

I’m just happy we still have a club. Some folk need a reality check. 

That's true. But Bolton Wanderers fans are always going to be impatient with third tier football. It was like that in the early 70s, 1980s and early 90s. The current set-up has had and richly deserved leeway for picking us up from the brink of extinction. They still have credit in the bank. But as a club, town and fanbase we're better than League 1 and people will naturally grow ever more impatient for us to get out.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, auckland_bwfc said:

Just back, not read up the comments yet so these are my thoughts, off me head, a few Madri in.

I dont think Madri at the ground is as good as in a regular setting. It's fizzier, dont get me wrong, drink it over coors every day, but at the bowling green, leigh, its a much smoother ride.

Football, 

Kachunga, 340 senior appearances, 59 goals (46 / 2 for bolton in league) - if we want to get promoted we cant have a striker with that goals to game ratio, i hear all about running and chasing etc, my first season watchin bolton I didnt see mcginlay or blake chasing much down, i did see them banging in 20 goals each from left foot, right foot and from their yeds, granted the game has changed, but them 2 in their pomp I wont accept wouldnt score goals in this league at better than 1 in 6.

At the start of the season most of us thought we have 4 strikers that may get 10 goals plus each with kachunga as a fifth option if we got despo.......nope, he's starting more often than not, and scoring fack all, even a shot would be good, was offside more times today than shots on target. I cant fault his effort but he is not a box to box midfielder, it isn't enough.

From our other strikers in the 10+ squad, one of them is playing left back, one of them (charles) isnt getting the type of servie he needs, JDB seems overly benched - we need him fit and firing, he is our best up fronter IMO, Baka is Baka, i think he over achieved last season, love how he is always in the right spot 8 yeards out but thats the only type of goal we get from him

Midfield - we seem to have too many options, start of the season i though Dempsey would be a shoe in for most games, think he is a decent box to boxer, i was hoping we'd build the centre around him but it looks like we're still not sure on our best threesome in there, Sadlier today looked good coming on, will he ever start ina meaningful game?

I just think we miss one or two chisled old pros, even a barry bannan, players that do things, we seem very robotic and predictable. Would love to see a a pair of wily old cnuts in our squad.....it was apparent early today we where winning nothing earlier in their box and would do well to keep them out for 90, it was the tallest opposition i can rememebr seeing in a long time.

Was still hopeful of a point at 85 mins but thats what kills u...

Dont think we're a bad team, statiscially defensively we're very good, surpringly so actually, but we lack fluidity and just a general up and at them approach ....unless we're 0-1 down, at that point we seem to spring to life somewhat.

The soloution? no idea, really, thats why i work in logistics, BUT, id like to see Dapo starting on the left, id like to see a formation accomodating that, id like to see a more fluid looking midfield 3 of say morley, sheehan and dempsey.....and maybe some start time for JDB. Could Dion go wide right of a front 3 with Dapo? Its gotta be better than a line up of kanchunga up front and dapo left back?

have a good night all, time for a pink gin

Bang on imo

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, royal white said:

I’m just happy we still have a club. Some folk need a reality check. 

21 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I'm not going to knee jerk reaction but do think we need a more settled starting 11 to get the best out of some of ours.

Some of the least consistent players are shoe ins too.

Not great today but didn't think it was particularly bad either. Just a bit meh.

Sheehan doesn't look ready to start yet.

We'll be reet

I read IE's comments in the week about Morley being coached to improve his defensive game and improve him overall. He described him as young and learning.

I agree with him, but I also see Sheehan as being the same, but quite a bit older. I don't see Sheehan as ever being an all round midfielder with a defensive side to his game.

Which begs the question- should we not stick with Morley in that role and let him develop, using Sheehan as back up.

Also with MJ, I know he's been good for us, but his lack of mobility has always been an issue and he's not going to get any better.

If we're sticking with 3 centre halves then for me, Thomason with Dempsey and Morley/Lee gives greater fluidity and a more dynamism to the midfield.

If we're playing with 4 at the back then MJ as cover in midfield makes sense.

Obviously, others will disagree, but as things stand we're not good enough to get where we want to be, so I'd prefer us to concentrate on bringing these younger players on as much as possible.