Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oxford H

W.cramp

Short of bringing in a competent LWB (as there's clearly an issue with John), unless we get shut of some players, I can't see where IE is going to feel we need to strengthen. 

Unlike in transfer windows previously it's not blatantly obvious where we need strengthen.

Our squad is plenty good enough for this division.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Short of bringing in a competent LWB (as there's clearly an issue with John), unless we get shut of some players, I can't see where IE is going to feel we need to strengthen. 

Unlike in transfer windows previously it's not blatantly obvious where we need strengthen.

Agreed.

4 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Edit: obvs goes without saying if we have a need for someone to sit in front of the defence then an improvement on Williams is a must. Someone who runs without looking like they are wearing calipers would be a start.

7 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

I expect the board to back Evatt in the transfer window and would expect to see at least 2 or 3 new faces incoming 

However I do feel that having backed him the board will expect us to then reach the play offs as an absolute minimum this season.  

You then have to consider In the event that we dont reach the play offs or even perform badly in them what will happen , you can forget loyalty and sentimentality  I reckon that is when the directors will act ruthlessly , and rightly so , they cannot afford for this club to hang around at this level for too long , and that's when they will move to bring in a manager who has a proven track record that can take us to the next level. 

Don't get me wrong I do hope Evatt succeeds over the coming months but like a few on here I am starting to have my doubts 

Its reminiscent to me ( but over a much shorter time frame ) of the Phil Neal days at Burnden, he got us out of the bottom tier and then laid the groundwork for his successor Bruce Rioch and I feel we are possibly seeing a similar scenario starting to play out, Evatt has brought some decent players to the club but at the moment seems incapable of getting a consistent level of performance out of them.  

Some very good points made especially from a board point of view, we did very well on ticket sales great finish last time and then the club rolled out good prices all good timing

Loads of good work off the field has gone on they will only want this to continue so yes we hang about too long

In terms of transfers kachunga especially is one FV will want to work as he’s one of the bigger salaried players so him not performing will add the pressure 

10 minutes ago, DazBob said:

We don’t want to be in this division though, let’s hope it’s good enough to take us up. 

4 hours ago, Ani said:

Williams suspended for Cambridge so let's see what comes next. Charles scored so assume he will get rested. 

Is it not Barnsley Williams misses?  I could be completely wrong but I think Williams being rested for a midweek game was no coincidence, so that his almost inevitable booking in the next conveniently means his suspension is for a cup game.

3 hours ago, Cheese said:

So did Santos. He had a go at Trafford at one point when he didn't make a claim for the ball, which nearly resulted in a fuck up. Also a couple of occasions when he shouted "WTF are you doing?" when he played a ball forward and it was passed straight back to him, putting him under needless pressure. A bad day all round really.

The best fallout I saw was Williams and Jones, MJ was giving him absolute pelters in the 1st half, I think for his positioning.  It carried on for ages before a corner and still after the corner.  When later someone nutmegged MJ, Jones wasted no time having a go back.  Santos had a right go at Iredale when he played a long diagonal to him and he failed to try to head it to stop it going out of play, really wasn't happy that he made it look like a bad ball.  Anyone that's played in a team will have had an argument with a player and it means nothing when you come off the pitch, its all in the heat of battle especially if you're losing.

1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

Doesn’t have to be a L1 club

Money knocking about lower wrexham/stockport etc, also i can see maybe a championship club testing the water for Dapo if he’s still in & out of the side 

Agree maybe a Stockport, but surely none of our first team squad will drop 2 divisions?  I don't see Dapo as championship standard currently, I'd be amazed.  Watching him yesterday, and in any recent home games, I'd struggle to see how a championship manager could justify paying a fee for him. 

4 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

We don’t want to be in this division though, let’s hope it’s good enough to take us up. 

Unless Evatt has a personality transplant we won't be getting out of League 1 anytime soon IMO. As I've said previously 'he' thinks that he's better than he actually is - also when he 1st came in he said that his teams constantly press & are fitter than other teams, where has this gone ?

In the summer we desperately (IMO) needed some physicality & steel in midfield - did he bring someone in like this (No), we also needed a proper goal scorer (Evatt said that he had lots of quality strikers offered to him, and he was apparently stunned by the quality of players offered), what did he do he kept faith with our current strikers of which none are prolific.

The team needs more physicality, a couple of tough players who hate losing and will lead by example - but it appears that Evatt doesn't see it like that, what was really telling yesterday in his post match presser was that he said that Oxford are possibly the most energetic team in the league - yet he plays the slowest & softest midfield that he could. 

I've no issue with fans who think that he's great, but unfortunately I haven't seen anything in his signings, tactics, or ideology to believe the same. Recently we have been found out and some of the lesser teams in this league as one or two others have said, have out fought & out thought us and wanted it more than us. As it stands we are a decent top 10 team, but not a team capable of getting promoted from this league unless he brings in some physicality and improves the spine of the team.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Black Sheep said:

Unless Evatt has a personality transplant we won't be getting out of League 1 anytime soon IMO. As I've said previously 'he' thinks that he's better than he actually is - also when he 1st came in he said that his teams constantly press & are fitter than other teams, where has this gone ?

Amazing talent you have, being able to tell what someone thinks, regardless of what they say.

2 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Agree maybe a Stockport, but surely none of our first team squad will drop 2 divisions?  I don't see Dapo as championship standard currently, I'd be amazed.  Watching him yesterday, and in any recent home games, I'd struggle to see how a championship manager could justify paying a fee for him. 

On recent form (apart from accy) I agree

however there is a good player and maybe another club could give him the playing time in his position and get him back to early last season form

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Black Sheep said:

In the summer we desperately (IMO) needed some physicality & steel in midfield - did he bring someone in like this (No), we also needed a proper goal scorer (Evatt said that he had lots of quality strikers offered to him, and he was apparently stunned by the quality of players offered), what did he do he kept faith with our current strikers of which none are prolific.

The team needs more physicality, a couple of tough players who hate losing and will lead by example - but it appears that Evatt doesn't see it like that, what was really telling yesterday in his post match presser was that he said that Oxford are possibly the most energetic team in the league - yet he plays the slowest & softest midfield that he could. 

I've no issue with fans who think that he's great, but unfortunately I haven't seen anything in his signings, tactics, or ideology to believe the same. Recently we have been found out and some of the lesser teams in this league as one or two others have said, have out fought & out thought us and wanted it more than us. As it stands we are a decent top 10 team, but not a team capable of getting promoted from this league unless he brings in some physicality and improves the spine of the team.

Anyone reading this and unaware of the league table would assume we were bottom and without a win.

How have we managed to get the points we have?

Anyway, went in the fanzone for the first time yesterday and it is absolutely excellent. Massive 👍 to the club for that, it’s a fantastic addition to Matchday.

• Site Supporter

Fascinating what a loss does to some fans psychology. Dapo's going, Charles is useless, Evatt is a plantpot and the owners have already got someone lined up to replace him, we don't deserve to be 6th in the League, MJ is past it, we didn't deserve to win our last 2 games, Santos is just a big bully. Mind boggling.

19 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Fascinating what a loss does to some fans psychology. Dapo's going, Charles is useless, Evatt is a plantpot and the owners have already got someone lined up to replace him, we don't deserve to be 6th in the League, MJ is past it, we didn't deserve to win our last 2 games, Santos is just a big bully. Mind boggling.

Bi-polarways at its finest.

Dramatic bunch of fannies.

29 minutes ago, Black Sheep said:

Harsh in the extreme, it’s clear Evatt gives players the opportunity to prove themselves worthwhile of a place in the team/squad which is important in this modern age, it’s also quite clear that once he’s made his mind up on a player then he moves them out and more often than not replaces with an upgrade, also he is flexible with team formation and once again is patient in his decision making as to when he changes it, usually that change results in an upturn of form. Some of your points are valid and some I agree with however the underlying tone of your post is you just don’t like him. 

53 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Is it not Barnsley Williams misses?  I could be completely wrong but I think Williams being rested for a midweek game was no coincidence, so that his almost inevitable booking in the next conveniently means his suspension is for a cup game.

Pretty sure suspensions are competition specific . They changed rules so players do not miss cup finals 

Mounts, you are wrong I don't dislike Evatt at all. I just don't have the same admiration for him as a manager that some others have. People should be allowed to have differing opinions should they not ? we all want the club / team to succeed.

I have no issue with the many fans who think that he's a good manager, he's not a bad manager its simply that I don't think that he's as good as some others think. 

35 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Erm, I've been saying the same thing about Williams for ages, thanks very much :)

Just now, Black Sheep said:

Mounts, you are wrong I don't dislike Evatt at all. I just don't have the same admiration for him as a manager that some others have. People should be allowed to have differing opinions should they not ? we all want the club / team to succeed.

I have no issue with the many fans who think that he's a good manager, he's not a bad manager its simply that I don't think that he's as good as some others think. 

Of course you can have your opinion.. My opinion is he gets much more right than wrong.. I’ll also say he’s a young manager and so will make mistakes… he has the makings of a very decent manager and therefore I’d like fans to cut him some slack. 

53 minutes ago, Black Sheep said:

I have my criticisms of Evatt but this is realty OTT in my opinion. Football is a results business hence him rightly being challenged over recent result and performances . 

So look at his record ....

1st half of first season took over a just relegated team and it was a struggle

2nd half season, brilliant, stormed up the league massive unbeaten runs and multiple wins on the bounce. Promotion.

1st half of second season although an improved team got off to a great start the results dried up and we were sliding

2nd half of season things improved significantly and we moved up the league just short of play offs

This season we are in a play off spot despite 9 points dropped in last 5 games against teams we should be beating. 

Progress every step of the way. Of course things can be improved the midfield yesterday was tactically wrong and IMO Dempsey and Morley should start every week. But to say he needs a personality transplant based on his track record is nonsense. Yes he could be more mindful of the words and how he expresses his confidence but he is IMO a top manager at this level and more likely to leave by being offered a bigger job than by being sacked. 

Edited by Ani