Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Derby (H) 27th December

gonzo

11 hours ago, MickyD said:

How the hell did you watch a game on the way home? This was 20+ years before mobile TVs.

As an aside, the first hand-held telly I ever saw was on the special train back from Southampton in THAT FA Cup game. It was where we saw just what a howler Felgate made. 

We stopped in the pub; might have been highlights 

On 14/12/2022 at 22:00, marple whites said:

Yep - went to that, not much else to shout about in all my other visits 

A absolute dour midweek 0-0 is my only highlight

And it's only a highlight because we didn't ship in our customery four

It's up there with Hull as grounds I shouldn't bother watching us at

I'll be there in January though 😀

As very , very good as we were yesterday, Exeter were weak as piss, whereas Derby have got Rotherham's manager from last season, so i'd expect them to be quite physical.

Horses for courses, so I would be bringing in MJ & Dempsey for Sheehan & Morley or Lee. or we could get overrun in midfield like against Rotherham & Wiggin last season.

Whatever, i'm already looking forward to it, with this & the game at Barnsley becoming real big games !!

• Site Supporter
44 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

As very , very good as we were yesterday, Exeter were weak as piss, whereas Derby have got Rotherham's manager from last season, so i'd expect them to be quite physical.

Horses for courses, so I would be bringing in MJ & Dempsey for Sheehan & Morley or Lee. or we could get overrun in midfield like against Rotherham & Wiggin last season.

Whatever, i'm already looking forward to it, with this & the game at Barnsley becoming real big games !!

Aye, a bit more steel in the midfield may be needed. 

It's gonna be a very tight and tactical game.

Similar to the first half Vs sheff weds until we missed a sitter and then made a defensive howler and went 2 behind.

Concentration levels need to be high in every game but in this one even more so. They have an ancient squad, average age at least 5 years higher than ours but have some massively experienced Championship level players.

We will get punished if we don't put our chances away or make errors at the back. We need to be on it from 1st minute. 

Bringing MJ back for a home game we are looking to win isn’t the answer .We had loads of attacking energy first half yesterday , something we have lacked for ages.If it isn’t broke don’t fix it .At home he should be brought on when a bit more defensive resilience is required maybe later in the game. Dempsey is an option either way & is more versatile than MJ.Sheehan picked the ball up from our defenders yesterday but moved it quicker to our forwards.

14 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Bringing MJ back for a home game we are looking to win isn’t the answer .We had loads of attacking energy first half yesterday , something we have lacked for ages.If it isn’t broke don’t fix it .At home he should be brought on when a bit more defensive resilience is required maybe later in the game. Dempsey is an option either way & is more versatile than MJ.Sheehan picked the ball up from our defenders yesterday but moved it quicker to our forwards.

Agree with this.

need to watch that McGoldrick because he is on form and has always done us in the past.

hope one of Santos or Jones are back for this

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, tomski said:

Don’t care how many we have on.

Not arsed how many Derby are bringing the boring sounding cunts.

Want 3 points for this. Below us and previous poor form dictates we need to start picking up points.

Aye. A big test of our credentials against the "big/better" teams teams, which we've not done so well with so far.

Really have to start winning some of these. 

4 hours ago, Take Hunt Off said:

But not as good at tackling, intercepting or passing, in my opinion.  Not sure how poor MJ is playing as I've hardly seen him start a game recently, but Dempsey has a lot of improving to do to get to the level MJ is normally at.  Runs around a lot but little end product to date.

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

But not as good at tackling, intercepting or passing, in my opinion.  Not sure how poor MJ is playing as I've hardly seen him start a game recently, but Dempsey has a lot of improving to do to get to the level MJ is normally at.  Runs around a lot but little end product to date.

Better at closing down and getting a foot in and also getting forward and scoring goals.

Different players, different roles.

31 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Better at closing down and getting a foot in and also getting forward and scoring goals.

Different players, different roles.

I agree, different types of player, but I think they get compared because they always get mentioned in the conversation about us not having enough physicality.  It would be a big shout to play them both because that probably means none of the more "creative" players Morley, Lee, Sheehan, Thomasson.  So if its one or the other, its reasonable to compare them. For me Dempsey doesn't do enough of anything to be above the other midfielders and his passing and shooting is less than average, but no problem with anyone disagreeing, just my opinion.

• The topic was pinned
On 18/12/2022 at 10:38, bolton va va said:

Not sure I agree with that, we can stiffen up midfield but then lose all the creativity we had on Saturday. Personally I’d rather we attack Derby than be negative. Exeter only looked poor because we overran them and we should do the same to Derby who I don’t actually think are that brilliant at the back. We need to be winning these games so let’s go for it.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Dempsey for Sheehan in this.

Sheehan’s done ok since his return but we’ll need a bit more bite against these.

Yep, or possibly Lee- Dempsey can get forward and grab a goal too.

Still, wouldn't surprise me to see MJ back in neither.