Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Fleetwood (A)

burnden

22 minutes ago, marple whites said:

Sadlier has to start, as does Sheehan and jdb.  The attacking intensity when those 3 came on was superb.  How we missed so many chances I will never know.  Also, although the refs are poor, got to stop getting stupid bookings.  (Morley first half) as then you are on a knife edge.

fantastic celebrations for the 2 goals.

we were in that Jim’s bar behind their stand before the game.  All the Celtic fans were in there.  Come down on a coach to support Scott brown.  Very odd if you ask me.

Sadlier can’t do much more he generally puts a shift in when he plays which makes it more puzzling that he doesn’t start 

Edited by radcliffe white

5 minutes ago, marple whites said:

Sadlier has to start, as does Sheehan and jdb.  The attacking intensity when those 3 came on was superb.  How we missed so many chances I will never know.  Also, although the refs are poor, got to stop getting stupid bookings.  (Morley first half) as then you are on a knife edge.

fantastic celebrations for the 2 goals.

we were in that Jim’s bar behind their stand before the game.  All the Celtic fans were in there.  Come down on a coach to support Scott brown.  Very odd if you ask me.

Any excuse to get away. Says it all when Fleetwood to see your ex player’s team is an attractive option for a Saturday.

What a brilliant end to the game. Said it so many times now..that team never gives up.

The intensity and urgency we played with towards the end was amazing. If we could play like that for 90 minutes we would absolutely steamroll teams.

Thought we were the better team all game and one or two of the players who have been criticized on here actually had decent games. All about opinions though.

Great three points.

Come On You Whites!!!

Got to be thinking that JDB and Dapo start up top for the next game, with one of Sheehan or Sadlier at the top of the midfield 3.

I’d love to see all 4 start but I don’t think you can unless you go 4 at the back (which he won’t do) or play Sheehan deeper in the midfield 2, but that’s not his best position for me (I’d have MJ and Morley in there).

• Site Supporter

One of Evatts post match comments talked about the the youthfulness of the side. Iles tweeted it was Evatts youngest side (average) he’s put out.

Going off how high the wing backs played, that middle 4 was ridiculously young

Brad(19) Thom(21) Mor(22) Beck(20)

• Site Supporter

I genuinely saw some crackpot yesterday post that "Thomason shouldn't be anywhere near this team, he was blowing out of his arse after 80 minutes, cant even keep himself fit enough to play a full game".

My head fell off, these folk walk amoungst us.

• Site Supporter
Just now, barryk32 said:

I genuinely saw some crackpot yesterday post that "Thomason shouldn't be anywhere near this team, he was blowing out of his arse after 80 minutes, cant even keep himself fit enough to play a full game".

We have a lot of crackpot "fans". You just have to re-read this thread - "We shouldn't celebrate beating Fleetwood as they've got a smaller population than Bolton"... 🤷‍♂️

• Site Supporter

Just a thought on sheehan etc starting. 

Iirc we tried that recently and it didn't help.

Yesterday, had they settled back to hold on to their lead?

Had we upped the pace (and perhaps more risk) to get something at the death?

Was the situation ideal for the subs?

When we have a defensively weakened midfield, we've been caught out in transition. 

If we're going to go with a lot of offensive type players from the off, then slow football leaves us exposed on the break.

Would have to play quicker, press readily and not let the opponent out.

We just don't do that from the off. Wish we did obviously, but it's not us.

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

When we have a defensively weakened midfield, we've been caught out in transition. 

If we're going to go with a lot of offensive type players from the off, then slow football leaves us exposed on the break.

He just has to drop Kachunga though.... Whilst I can't fault his effort he offers no goalscoring threat whatsoever..... Reminds me of a dog chasing a ball in the park. 

1 hour ago, marple whites said:

Not really. Celtic had no game and Scott Brown is an absolute legend having played over 400 games for them, captained the club for 11 years and won 10 Scottish League titles in that time so I'd have thought it would have been a perfect day out for any Hoop getting footie withdrawal symptoms - had we not shat in their pint at the death :)

1 minute ago, radcliffe white said:

Need to nail some consistency now

we was all upbeat when we came back against accy but after that we’ve won one in four

The league table makes good looking can’t help think though dropping points at Cheltenham,FGR , Cambridge and we could be pushing the top 2

bristol, Shrewsbury & Exeter are all winnable 

And we need to do well in those 3 as derby, Lincoln, Barnsley will be tough

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Pretty much where I am at. Sheehan has had 2 cameos this season where coming on late has made a real difference. But when starting has not been effective. Albeit only one game this season but he was not starting every week pre injury.

Sadlier (who I have not been a fan of) is making a stronger and stronger case for a start.

JDB looks great or rubbish. Seems like him Dapo and Sadlier would be worth a look.

However.....I am 100% convinced Dion will come good so it is a tough call. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, barryk32 said:

I’ve watched quite a bit of footage from the game this morning - and I’m impressed with Thomason’s contribution throughout the game.

Being there live yesterday, it wasn’t as obvious. (Well copious amounts of Blackpool ale doesn’t help 😂) Morley was on the ball a lot more and is more pleasing on the eye in terms of being progressive and spraying the ball out wide.

But Thomason is a natural leader in my eyes. We needed somebody yesterday   to take the game by the scruff of the neck and he certainly did that. He led a youthful midfield really well.

We’ve been on about needing a leader,  an old, experienced, shit house in the middle of the park. Well maybe we have the young version.

He never shirks, he never stops, he’s talking and communicating all the time (bit like Nolan used to do) 

Eyre on GMR after game talked about how the 2nd half skirmish Bolton worked in Bolton’s favour. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the  Accrington and Fleetwood (2 games we lost last year) victories had Thomason there leading by example.

Im an MJ fan, but Thomason may well becoming the one constant we need in that midfield moving forward.

Well done young man, keep up the passionate, shit-housing, game influencing midfield performances 👏

Much better yesterday than the past few weeks overall, the amount of dangerous areas we got into was refreshing to see again like our old selves playing with confidence. The only criticism really was it just always seemed like there wasn't anybody gambling on the low balls across goal until near the end but when we crank up the pressure you can just sense it's going to come. Props to the subs for impacting the game, Sads especially was top class with his wing play. I'd honestly like to see Bod-Dapo up top as the front two they seem to always link up well in the rare moments they get on the pitch together high up... they can both hold it up physically & have a goal in them too. Dion looked a million dollars when he first joined but he's playing the exact same now as he was later on into last season which is very underwhelming, I'd have him coming on 30 mins to go against tired legs which is maybe the way to get him a few goals to get his confidence back. He's there edge of the box trying 360 roulette skills rather than shifting the ball to get a shot off which is infuriating with our current goal scoring problems. 

Edited by Deanu

Well what a day. One for the memoirs thats for certain.

At least 30-40 of us on that terrace in different pockets. A good 10 or so of us stood in front of a gaggle of absolutely pissed and wired celtic fans signing we hate Bolton all the way through the game :D

One got a wee bit carried away but didn't fancy taking proceedings any further with one of our more senior infiltrators.

Me and @Steejaymanaged to avert the inpending crisis 🤣

The lads in the side stand didnt have it as easy but lived to tell the tale ha ha

On the pitch we totally controlled the second half and shouldve scored 4-5, Becks miss was criminal.

Games like that change seasons. Notice players were straight over to Evatt, certainly doesn't look like divided camp to me, contrary to what bullshit gets spoken elsewhere.

Off the pitch, Neil Hart could do with a day out at Fleetwood and see how it could and should be done. That Jims bar is absolutely brilliant and everything we should have at Bolton. Not sure where like but if we had a set up like that It'd be fucking ace.

Nice warm bar, Dj on before getting all the younguns involved with the mascot etc. Loads of tellys and seating and open all through second half.

Compare that to our freezing concrete tunnel with dogshit flat beer served by Nigerian stowaways and not a seat in sight.

Anyway, Fabulous scenes at the end, its exactly why we do it.

Shame it was against a team with such a low population so cant get too excited ;(

I think Sadlier has played his best for us when coming off the bench to play LWB

but not sure you can really start him there as his defensive work rate isn’t going to be up there.

Coming on with his technical ability against tired legs when we’re chasing a game so he has less defensive responsibility is where he will thrive. I would like to see him start a game in the 3-5-2 but if I’m ruling him out starting as LWB then I’m not sure. 

An attacking 3 of Sheehan, Dapo and Sadlier would be interesting to see. Or drop one of them for JDB