Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley FA Cup

little whitt

• Site Supporter

@Black Sheep Some of your “expert advice” last week included; not playing 5 at the back, Dapo should be playing left forward, Evatt shouldn’t be so stubborn and change formation, Williams and Sheehan shouldn’t have started.

So now no doubt you’ll come on here and suggest a whole more set of changes he should have made.

@Spider has it right. How sad it must be to only appear on here to moan.

I repeat, where are you when things are going well? 

1 minute ago, desperado said:

@Black Sheep Some of your “expert advice” last week included; not playing 5 at the back, Dapo should be playing left forward, Evatt shouldn’t be so stubborn and change formation, Williams and Sheehan shouldn’t have started.

So now no doubt you’ll come on here and suggest a whole more set of changes he should have made.

@Spider has it right. How sad it must be to only appear on here to moan.

I repeat, where are you when things are going well? 

In the pub you boring twat.

2 hours ago, Arrested development said:

Yep. The play 4 at the back crowd might want to pay attention to how wide open we are. I don't have a problem with trying stuff out in the cup though. 

Its the same stuff as with 3 at the back. Too much long diagonal stuff. When did we become a long ball team, were not built to play this way. 

If that's what you saw, I saw a different game.  The "long balls" were pinpoint 40 yard passes by Morley and Santos mainly, also Iredale.  90% of them were quality and the right balls at the time.  Very very little long ball today, loads of intricate slick passing, whether people want to see that or not is upto them, but we played some great stuff today, mainly first half but also last half hour.  Unlucky overall.

@desperadois right. Yes, things are a bit shit at the minute. Nobody is saying otherwise ... but we have too many cockroaches on here who, when things are going well, are nowhere to be seen. Things go badly and they excitedly come scuttling out, pulling the head off their erect penises. It's pathetic.

Edited by DazBob

2 hours ago, 1969 said:

I'm starting to get a little bit concerned about our current form.What is it now 6 games of very poor performances.We seem to be getting progressively worse which is worrying and (correct me if I'm wrong) all seem to start after the alleged blackmail story

Today was miles better than the last 2 home games.  That doesn't mean we are suddenly full of goalscorers, we aren't, but we aren't getting worse.

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

If that's what you saw, I saw a different game.  The "long balls" were pinpoint 40 yard passes by Morley and Santos mainly, also Iredale.  90% of them were quality and the right balls at the time.  Very very little long ball today, loads of intricate slick passing, whether people want to see that or not is upto them, but we played some great stuff today, mainly first half but also last half hour.  Unlucky overall.

4 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Today was miles better than the last 2 home games.  That doesn't mean we are suddenly full of goalscorers, we aren't, but we aren't getting worse.

Good to hear. 

I doubt that Sadlier will keep his place though!

1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

Whatever team or formation this is a disgrace and the 1923 team would be ashamed of this lot. Questions have to be asked of Evatt after this because there’s just no signs of a revival and I’m just not sure if the players are behind him any more?

I don't think you were there today.  Not saying it was a classic, we didn't trouble the keeper enough, but the players tried their tripe out and simply lost to an OG and an unbelievable finish.  Some of our passing moves were a pleasure to watch, just because a goal doesn't result - and yes that's the main problem - doesn't negate some of the good stuff today.

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Good to hear. 

I doubt that Sadlier will keep his place though!

He showed good quality in the 1st half playing as a right winger.  Put some good balls in and played some nice subtle passes, twice put pinpoint crosses on Charles head, one for the disallowed goal and one he headed over.  For some reason was put on left wing in 2nd half and hardly touched the ball before being subbed.  You're right he won't start league games, but that will reduce our chances of scoring from open play for me.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

He showed good quality in the 1st half playing as a right winger.  Put some good balls in and played some nice subtle passes, twice put pinpoint crosses on Charles head, one for the disallowed goal and one he headed over.  For some reason was put on left wing in 2nd half and hardly touched the ball before being subbed.  You're right he won't start league games, but that will reduce our chances of scoring from open play for me.

So a chap doing pretty well gets shifted from the position he's in.

Makes sense...

Watching JDB in his half hour today, and I know he can have a quiet spell during games, but he is streets ahead of our other strikers.  His overall football ability, physicality, intelligence, finishing with head or foot, its hard to see where any other player is an improvement apart from arguably an extra yard of pace. 

It seems incredible to me his isn't first forward on the teamsheet, if every player is at the top of his game, he is the best.  If they are all playing terrible, he is the least bad.

Kachunga sometimes adds energy and running into the channels etc, today he added absolutely nothing.

31 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

You definately watched a different game then because we were pretty shit overall.  Morley and Santos hit a couple of decent ones but it's only effective if it's not over used. And it was over used like it has been for the past few weeks. First half Iredale gave the ball away at least 10 times. 

We were definately wide open ,a point Evatt also alluded to in his post match interview. 

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Watching JDB in his half hour today, and I know he can have a quiet spell during games, but he is streets ahead of our other strikers

Got to agree with this. 

Fair play for your balanced observations @Johnnyrotten.

A note for the likes of @Black Sheepand @Whitesince63 There’s a way of criticising and making observations/suggestions without coming across as a contradictory, moaning, know-it-all. 

By the way @Black Sheep, the beers good in the pub, I suggest trying a few after a defeat as well 😊🍺

8 minutes ago, Arrested development said:

You definately watched a different game then because we were pretty shit overall.  Morley and Santos hit a couple of decent ones but it's only effective if it's not over used. And it was over used like it has been for the past few weeks. First half Iredale gave the ball away at least 10 times. 

We were definately wide open ,a point Evatt also alluded to in his post match interview. 

We all see it differently, I'll agree to disagree.  Not saying we weren't too open BTW, I was responding to the "long ball" comment, I thought those passes were some of the highlights of the game, its not like they are aimless punts (no rhyming slang intended), they are hit with pace and precision and 90% of the time well controlled by Sadlier or Dapo.   I thought Iredale played well (unlike last week), played some good stuff going forward and defended well, as much as he probably wasn't blameless for the 2nd goal.  Not to say he didn't give the ball away a few times, I see that in every player every game, he didn't look over wasteful to me.

It's starting to feel like Evatt plays five at the back because at heart he doesn't trust our defenders. Maybe we've been compensating for a lack of quality at the back by playing five there. It was working because we conceded so few but it was at the expense of our attacking play. Perversely - considering our comparative lack of goals this year - perhaps we need to sign better defenders in January.

Anyway - another match goes by with no first half goal. Another game in which we fall behind and shove all our subs on in a scramble to get ourselves back in the game. Deja vu really. 

We need to keep developing and January will be interesting in terms of what route we go down. 

The problem IE and the board have is that Bolton fans are always going to be impatient with third tier football. Where we've come from and the brush with extinction tempers that... but it's still there and that sentiment will incrementally grow. Rightly so too - any third tier BWFC set up should be straining at the leash for Championship football. Phil Neal would recognise this exact mix of emotions and thoughts at Bolton Wanderers. 

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

It's starting to feel like Evatt plays five at the back because at heart he doesn't trust our defenders. Maybe we've been compensating for a lack of quality at the back by playing five there. It was working because we conceded so few but it was at the expense of our attacking play. Perversely - considering our comparative lack of goals this year - perhaps we need to sign better defenders in January.

Anyway - another match goes by with no first half goal. Another game in which we fall behind and shove all our subs on in a scramble to get ourselves back in the game. Deja vu really. 

We need to keep developing and January will be interesting in terms of what route we go down. 

The problem IE and the board have is that Bolton fans are always going to be impatient with third tier football. Where we've come from and the brush with extinction tempers that... but it's still there and that sentiment will incrementally grow. Rightly so too - any third tier BWFC set up should be straining at the leash for Championship football. Phil Neal would recognise this exact mix of emotions and thoughts at Bolton Wanderers. 

Run out of likes. But another very good post which highlights the issues/problems with a bit of perspective 👏

Never like losing but best result for us as far as I'm concerned.    Fa cup meh,   a pittance reward financial wise till the late rounds,  and going off the attendance am sure a lot think the same.

The fa cup obviously has the tradition and as a club we have a great history with it but surely it needs to somehow be dragged into now and maybe revamped with money pumped in to start attracting interest of the fans that go to games week in week out

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Black Sheep said:

Got told this afternoon in the pub that next season Neil Hart is going to offer a last 20 mins / 2nd half season ticket at a much reduced cost, as that's the only time that the team start to play & compete.

MMYYYY mother in law

I was over going out at HT but felt gutted at FT. Don't think we played too badly. Both their goals against the run of play in my opinion and I wouldn't mind seeing our first disallowed goal back. Go again at Cambridge next week. Just hope Charlton get dumped out before the 4th round. 

1 hour ago, DazBob said:

@desperadois right. Yes, things are a bit shit at the minute. Nobody is saying otherwise ... but we have too many cockroaches on here who, when things are going well, are nowhere to be seen. Things go badly and they excitedly come scuttling out, pulling the head off their erect penises. It's pathetic.

A great post. Im absolutely gutted we lost love to be in the draw for the next round but while I think the defeat is again at Evatts door I’ll not be calling for his head. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
43 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

As I said before - great balanced post.

Although I think the answers might already be in the squad that we have.

It’s just a case of finding the right formula, which at the moment, is not right.

Without dredging up all the last fortnights differences of opinions and suggested changes - at some point this season all of these players have shown the potential to be part of a promotion challenging team.

Today He tried 4–3-3, with Dapo left, Sadlier right (which has been claimed, by lots, as the way to go). But today we looked open at the back with it, and looked better 3-4-3 2nd half! 

We are definitely in a transitional stage  at the moment. And its Evatts job to find the right formula quickly - let’s hope these next 2 away games show some progress to finding a way to get back to our best.

Edited by desperado