Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley FA Cup

little whitt

3 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Terrible crowd… perhaps club should include season ticket holders in the first 2 rounds of the FA cup. Don’t know what’s wrong with folk these days regarding FA cup.. really pisses me off it’s seen as a glorified Papa Johns game. 

The FA haven't helped.

Having it sponsored, fucking about with replays, 5.30 kickoff for the final, final before the season ends. 

They've diminished it.

• Moderators

Im guessing.....

But lets say 14k season ticket holders turned up as freebies, we would need to bung some cash the fa and barnsleys way?

Its like the admin charge, i suppose we keep all of that, whereas if it was 11 quid and no admin, we only keep some of the extra quid

As for the cup, well out of it

Our aim at this stage of progress is to lose at trafford towers in january

I dont need that in my life

5 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Terrible crowd… perhaps club should include season ticket holders in the first 2 rounds of the FA cup. Don’t know what’s wrong with folk these days regarding FA cup.. really pisses me off it’s seen as a glorified Papa Johns game. 

Problem is if we're away for both those games and get knocked out, folk will complain they are 'owed' two games 

5 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Grimsby Town at home in 2016.

Of course.  Going back to 2016 v Leeds, the last 11 times we've been drawn in the FA Cup, 10 have been at home and our one away tie could not have been less glamorous, Bristol City.  The last decent cup draw was Liverpool and since then nothing to get fans interested.

23 hours ago, paulhanley said:

It's starting to feel like Evatt plays five at the back because at heart he doesn't trust our defenders. Maybe we've been compensating for a lack of quality at the back by playing five there. It was working because we conceded so few but it was at the expense of our attacking play. Perversely - considering our comparative lack of goals this year - perhaps we need to sign better defenders in January.

Anyway - another match goes by with no first half goal. Another game in which we fall behind and shove all our subs on in a scramble to get ourselves back in the game. Deja vu really. 

We need to keep developing and January will be interesting in terms of what route we go down. 

The problem IE and the board have is that Bolton fans are always going to be impatient with third tier football. Where we've come from and the brush with extinction tempers that... but it's still there and that sentiment will incrementally grow. Rightly so too - any third tier BWFC set up should be straining at the leash for Championship football. Phil Neal would recognise this exact mix of emotions and thoughts at Bolton Wanderers. 

not a problem with 5 at the back,but then for me you dont need a holding midfielder like williams, if we go 4 at the back make it our 4 best centre halfs jones santos johnston and iredale. the nyou probably have to have williams in, i thought yesterday we started well,but were just not quick enough with the ball,and then take too many touches, 1 bigproblem i think we have is our reluctance to get a shot away,

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I was disappointed too. But on reflection looking at the stats above, it was pretty much in line with the rest of the crowds. Albeit I understand as a % of our average it would be way down. 9k on at Wrexham today.

1 hour ago, desperado said:
9k on at Wrexham today.

So they are saying, but looking at the ground there were plenty of large spaces, areas closed off and loads of vacant seats. 9,500 is their current absolute maximum. I suspect, being live on tv as well, the 9,000 claim is, as they say, "complicated".

9 hours ago, desperado said:

I was disappointed too. But on reflection looking at the stats above, it was pretty much in line with the rest of the crowds. Albeit I understand as a % of our average it would be way down. 9k on at Wrexham today.

Bradford played Harrogate which probably bumped their crowd up a bit 

I was more arsed that Haaland didn't start for my fantasy team than I was that we got beat on Sat.

Genuinely couldn't give one flying fuck. 

Apathy breeds apathy. Even the ones who get to final secretly dont give a fuck.

Theres just too much football nowadays. 

21 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I was more arsed that Haaland didn't start for my fantasy team than I was that we got beat on Sat.

Genuinely couldn't give one flying fuck. 

Apathy breeds apathy. Even the ones who get to final secretly dont give a fuck.

Theres just too much football nowadays. 

Dear me, sad position to take, BWFC was built on FA cup football, think I’d pack it in if I felt like that about the FA cup. 

21 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Dear me, sad position to take, BWFC was built on FA cup football, think I’d pack it in if I felt like that about the FA cup. 

It's the reality though 

If we're being old romantic about it then football would be divisions one to four 

The European cup would be solely for league winners, the UEFA cup would be decent as you'd get the best of the rest and the Europa Conference would be a non starter

All games would kick off at 3pm on a Saturday, maybe with the odd Sunday thrown in 

As for the pizza cup.. 

But it's not. It's wall to wall TV coverage, it's saturated. To the point where a club's priority is just staying in the prem

If the FA had any respect for their trophy then they wouldn't have the final kicking off at half five, when the travelling fan might struggle to get a train home. But it's prime time for selling TV rights around the world 

The FA cup can fuck off for all I care 

basically, if the FA themselves don't give a fuck about their competition, why should anyone?

The rot started by letting United opt out.

Then, no replays, final at stupid time, this year's 5th Round is midweek etc etc.

The FA (and PL / EFL et al) can get to fuck.

4 minutes ago, Traf said:

basically, if the FA themselves don't give a fuck about their competition, why should anyone?

The rot started by letting United opt out.

Then, no replays, final at stupid time, this year's 5th Round is midweek etc etc.

The FA (and PL / EFL et al) can get to fuck.

semis at wembley, games fri-mon

it's not the fa cup anymore

Must admit, I didn’t really give a shit about the result on Saturday.

I think for me it’s because of where we are at the moment - we’re not good enough to go far in the tournament, but I also don’t like the idea of us going to somewhere like Fulham for a ‘giant killing’. There’s almost no winning scenario at the moment

On 05/11/2022 at 16:13, desperado said:

Clutching at straws for positives. 

But I’ll take your moaning as one of them.

You seem to come on here in spells (when we are on a poor streak… oh what a coincidence) then disappear. Then we start doing well and you Fuck off.

So it could be a good sign. Let’s all pray there’s a good run around the corner. Double whammy, the whites start doing well again and you Fuck Off.

Nice to be appreciated for something despy and if it means the Whites pick up I’d gladly FO. 😉

On 05/11/2022 at 17:40, desperado said:

Got to agree with this. 

Fair play for your balanced observations @Johnnyrotten.

A note for the likes of @Black Sheepand @Whitesince63 There’s a way of criticising and making observations/suggestions without coming across as a contradictory, moaning, know-it-all. 

By the way @Black Sheep, the beers good in the pub, I suggest trying a few after a defeat as well 😊🍺

I just offer an opinion desperado, no more than that. I say what I see and at the moment it’s poor. I’m not intentionally trying to be negative and I’m sorry if it comes over that way. I actually was pleased with Evatt’s selection on Saturday, moving back to 433 and having Dapo on the left and Sadlier up top and posted that widely on several sites. Sadly the defence let us down again forcing Evatt to make changes. I do think trying to keep a more settled side is preferable but if you have a quantity of players in poor form together, I suppose whatever you do you’re going to fail. I hope it is just poor form and nothing more sinister but 3 points against a poor Cambridge side on Saturday will lift everybody so let’s at least all hope for that.

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

I just offer an opinion desperado, no more than that. I say what I see and at the moment it’s poor. I’m not intentionally trying to be negative and I’m sorry if it comes over that way. I actually was pleased with Evatt’s selection on Saturday, moving back to 433 and having Dapo on the left and Sadlier up top and posted that widely on several sites. Sadly the defence let us down again forcing Evatt to make changes. I do think trying to keep a more settled side is preferable but if you have a quantity of players in poor form together, I suppose whatever you do you’re going to fail. I hope it is just poor form and nothing more sinister but 3 points against a poor Cambridge side on Saturday will lift everybody so let’s at least all hope for that.

First of all apologies - my initial response was an emotional one. It was unusual for me to be posting at the stadium during/at HT/after the match. Don’t think I’ll do that again - it just really wound me up how overly negative, contradictory, out of perspective and wrong (Formation claims from some) some of the posts were.

Similarly I hope you can see the same. The post above is a lot more rational than what you posted Saturday. 

I’ll take it as us all being passionate fans and sometimes irrational in the heat of the moment. 

I can certainly agree that 3 points against Cambridge on Saturday will lift everybody so let’s at least all hope for that.

Edited by desperado

On 05/11/2022 at 20:39, desperado said:

The ones who offer a bit of perspective. The ones who offer an opinion win lose or draw. The ones who give praise and criticism in equal measure. And as Gonzo said accept that folk can be unhappy with the way its currently going but trust the manager to sort without being called a happy clapper.

But you’re just assuming that everyone who’s critical of Evatt want him gone but that’s not the case. I’m still fully behind Evatt but it still allows me to comment on what I think he does wrong. Constant changes to the starting eleven plus 5 in game changes surely can’t be sensible, I’m not aware of any manager who even comes close to that and results seem to indicate it doesn’t work. Clearly if somethings not working you have to change it but too much change just makes things worse. Anyway, 3 points at Cambridge on Saturday will cheer us all up so fingers crossed. 🤗

On 05/11/2022 at 21:52, Ani said:

I do not think the majority of our fans want Evatt out and can see the fact we are progressing 

However I do think the majority get frustrated by his decision making and a level of confidence that comes across as inflexible arrogance at times. 

My biggest concern this year is that we are in November and I would guess if you asked 10 fans our best team you would get at least 10 different teams. We do not even have a formation that we play too. Recent games at FGT, Cheltenham, Accrington and home V Oxford show teams are starting to counter our style of play. 

This, with bells on.

17 minutes ago, desperado said:

First of all apologies - my initial response was an emotional one. It was unusual for me to be posting at the stadium during/at HT/after the match. Don’t think I’ll do that again - it just really wound me up how overly negative, contradictory, out of perspective and wrong (Formation claims from some) some of the posts were.

Similarly I hope you can see the same. The post above is a lot more rational than what you posted Saturday. 

I’ll take it as us all being passionate fans and sometimes irrational in the heat of the moment. 

I can certainly agree that 3 points against Cambridge on Saturday will lift everybody so let’s at least all hope for that.

Cheers desperado, I’ve supported/ suffered Wanderers for many years now including travelling to most home games and numerous always no matter where I’ve lived, from Scotland, London, Lincoln and now Yorkshire so I am like you a passionate fan but maybe sometimes my frustration comes across as overly critical which it’s not meant to. I do think we have the squad to succeed this year and also the manager to but the form of both of them seems to be off at the moment. As I say, 3 points on Saturday could turn everything round so let’s just hope it does. 🤪

3 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

It's the reality though 

If we're being old romantic about it then football would be divisions one to four 

The European cup would be solely for league winners, the UEFA cup would be decent as you'd get the best of the rest and the Europa Conference would be a non starter

All games would kick off at 3pm on a Saturday, maybe with the odd Sunday thrown in 

As for the pizza cup.. 

I'm that person.

Like I've always bought things in Lbs. and Ounces and only know my height in feet & inches. We are currently in the 3rd division and I despair of the fecking 'Champion's League' including non-champions.